Ok, I realize that the "free" gps apps, you get what you pay for.. but why does it take SO long for the GPS to initialize in Google Maps or Live Search?

In Garmin, the moment I go to View Map, the GPS just works.. I'm seriously considering purchasing Garmin Mobile.. it works great and for a 1 time fee of $99 bucks + a 2 gig card full of maps.. AND you dont need data for it! you can be in the desert and still get locations..that's the best part right there.
    06-19-08 11:10 AM
    I can't use Garmin Mobile because it won't install on a Verizon phone. All the free apps I've tried worked fine with my Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS puck. You can't fault Garmin for not wanting to deal with 3rd party bluetooth GPS, when their business is GPS's, but it keeps me using the free stuff. And there are a LOT of Verizon users out there...
    06-19-08 11:25 AM
    Ok, I realize that the "free" gps apps, you get what you pay for.. but why does it take SO long for the GPS to initialize in Google Maps or Live Search?

In Garmin, the moment I go to View Map, the GPS just works.. I'm seriously considering purchasing Garmin Mobile.. it works great and for a 1 time fee of $99 bucks + a 2 gig card full of maps.. AND you dont need data for it! you can be in the desert and still get locations..that's the best part right there.
    I think you are off a bit. According to many reviews, the data is stored on Garmin's servers, and you DO need a data plan to make it work. Looking at Garmin's site, They have mobile versions for other PDA's that use a data card.
    06-19-08 07:15 PM
    If the Garmin comes with 2gigs of maps, it might be possible that it does not need data. My 4gig tomtom has the US/Canada and Western Europe. So Garmin's data could fit on an SD card, I guess.

I called Garmin about this program but there is NO trial version and you canNOT download it for Verizon (as mentioned by Jeff). I thought I could give it a try using the puck but Garmin would not offer a trial even after the phone call. $99.00 is too much to check it out.
    06-19-08 09:46 PM
    No trial version?? I'm USING the trial version.. I have been for over a week.

Go here Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry

and it shows you a link of,

To receive a free 30 day trial of Garmin Mobile on your BlackBerry please enter the following link in your BlackBerry browser: Garmin Mobile: Built for BlackBerry
    06-20-08 11:37 AM
    Trying that link now. I think the last time I tried, it would not download for VERIZON. Where do you get the maps for storage on an SD card?

Still downloading...... and still ......(turned on my puck in anticipation)......

"This trial of Garmin...... does NOT support Verizon handset...."

EXIT
    06-20-08 11:59 AM
    Ah.. yah, only Sprint/ATT and Tmo it looks like.. =(

As for the Maps/card.. it's mailed to you when you purchase the software..
    06-20-08 12:51 PM
    So you have to switch cards with your media card each time you want to use the GPS? Sounds cumbersome.

MG
    06-21-08 06:31 PM
    If you have a big enough card you have both on there.
    06-21-08 09:22 PM
    They send you a 2gig memory card of which 1 gig is free.. I've been reading about it.. You can't copy the data off to a new/bigger card, but you are free to use the 1 gig of space left on the map card.
    06-21-08 09:45 PM
    I can't use Garmin Mobile because it won't install on a Verizon phone. All the free apps I've tried worked fine with my Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS puck. You can't fault Garmin for not wanting to deal with 3rd party bluetooth GPS, when their business is GPS's, but it keeps me using the free stuff. And there are a LOT of Verizon users out there...
    For phones that do not have GPS built in or are crippled, you but purchase the $149 version of Gramin for Blackberry. Hope this helps, feel free to call Garmin to confirm.
    06-24-08 09:08 PM
    All i need to know is if this requires you have service to use it...like if i'm in a spot where there is no signal am i still going to have gps? I had GPS on verizon and whenever i wasn't in their EVDO network i couldn't use gps anymore, so I just want to make sure if i'm out of the network with no signal its going to work
    06-24-08 11:15 PM
    According to them, they send you a 2gig micro SD card with the MAPS located on the card. Since the GPS itself does not require data, and you have the maps on the card, you dont need a data connection.

I've actually disconnected my mobile connection on my BB, and watched as the GPS locates me on a blank map, the map moves but the data doesn't refresh..
    06-25-08 10:31 AM
    I cannot find anything on their site that mentions a 2gig card with 1gig of data. Do you have a link where it says this? Every time I check out the sight, it just throws me through this loop of selecting device, logging in, etc...

thanks
    06-25-08 11:36 AM
    06-25-08 11:54 AM
    Sorry folks, thats for a smart phone. The blackberry version does not have a 2gig card with it. Thats how I read the info. Go to Specs of the supplied link and it will tell you which phones this is compatible with.
    06-25-08 12:29 PM
    They send you a 2gig memory card of which 1 gig is free.. I've been reading about it.. You can't copy the data off to a new/bigger card, but you are free to use the 1 gig of space left on the map card.
    Well that sucks big weenies...LOL. Being able to transfer the maps to a bigger micro-sd mem card would really make a lot of sense but Garmin won't allow that. Fear of copyright infringement or piracy? Who knows...I was going to use Garmin software on my Curve but this issue isn't worth it to me so I now use VZ Navigator. Being forced by Verizon Wireless to use their VZ Navigator @ 10 bucks per month or nothing at all doesn't fit well with my way of thinking! But I now have VZ Navigator and it's nice and works well with audible turn by turn directions. Best of all it's free for me, no monthly charge and my GPS is unlocked.
    06-29-08 07:42 PM
    I am considering gettting a blackberry, the Pearl 8110 most likely, but after talking with Garmin about their maps:

Since Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry�s mapping data is stored online and not on the BlackBerry device itself, customers have the advantage of the most up-to-date mapping information available directly from Garmin. In order to access Garmin�s network with the mapping data, the BlackBerry device must have a data plan.

I too am wanting to be able to use maps with the GPS, but not have to rely on an Internet/Data connection. Teleatlas makes a nice maps program that is installed on a 2 GB SDcard, but it only works on a Nokia. I am still looking.
    07-01-08 01:40 PM
    Says $99 for a one year subscription. What does that mean. What happens after one year???
    07-01-08 02:12 PM
    Called their support line. If your phone has built in GPS you do NOT need or get an SD card with maps just the subscription service. The SD card is only required for those who have an external GPS device connected. I was told that to get the weather, gas prices, movies you need a data plan. I was told that if you are out of coverage the GPS still works because it gets the map information from the Satellites. The $99 is a subscription for life for that phone only and can not be transfered to another phone (at this time).
    Last edited by ChiefT; 07-01-08 at 02:44 PM.
    07-01-08 02:35 PM
    This is really interesting to me, as I am considering a BlueTooth GPS unit for my 8320!! Any recommendations??
    07-01-08 02:38 PM
    In case anyone's looking, I found Nav4All the other month and it is pretty good. I've found that it is about 100 - 150 yds slow though. Besides that, it's well worth the saved $100 a month.
    07-01-08 02:50 PM
    I was told that if you are out of coverage the GPS still works because it gets the map information from the Satellites..
    Then you were told (or heard) wrong. I am in that business - GPS (Garmin dealer) & satellite communications. There are NO satellites - GPS or otherwise - that deliver map information to ANY device unless it is a satellite providing a connection to the internet to deliver that data - and that isn't happening with a BB! The position information will be available but the actual map da(a HAS TO come over the Internet or from storage within the device itself.

BTW - The going rate for data via a sat connection (for retail users on a GLOBAL basis) is around $10/MB - and that is for a 512 kbps connection at best. It also requires about $3 - 5K in hardware minimum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 11:54 PM
    Glad you spoke up. I did not have a good feeling that he knew his stuff. DO you know if you get the SD card and will it work then out of coverage range??
    07-03-08 07:44 AM
    No - I don't. It is a different product line (I do marine stuff) and I may not have access to it. I wasn't even aware the had a BB product until this thread. I'll have to look into it - but don't hold your breath - I'm in the middle of moving my business.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 08:04 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD