yeah the roads and street names are about 3 times larger. thats the deal breaker. there about even every where else
    03-02-10 09:57 PM
    That is a good feature. What would be good to do sometimes is have a thread with just screen shots to compare the (audible only) turn by turn GPS apps!

Feel free to post screen shots! How does Telenav compare with the Garmin Mobile cons? As it stands, the Garmin Mobile i have does have all those limitations. That's compared to VZ Navigator.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 10:03 PM
    Garmin Mobile Cons

Cons:
    *Does not display miles to destination
    *Does not display time to destination
    *Does not display current road
    *Doesn not display next step
    *Does not integrate with BlackBerry Calender
    *No way to repeat audible direction
    *Cannot share locations, addresses, directions
    *Does not offer detours around traffic
    *Cannot transfer to new device
    *No Jump To in Favorites
    *No Trip Summery Option
    *No Trip Preview (Plan Trip) option
    * Does not display GPS Coordinates
    *Must exit app to view Trip List

1. See above.. You said it does not show time to desination

2. Also if you click on corner of screen while gps os navigating, it will give you options that list most of above... It will give you step by step directions as well
    I don't have a Storm but a Tour. How does one get some of this other info to display on the Tour? If I "touch" the trackball, all I can do is change the volume. I can't change some of the display parameters you have mentioned.

Maybe that's a limitation of the non-touch devices?
    03-02-10 10:49 PM
    could you please give me the way on how to use it for totally free ?

thanks...
    03-03-10 06:01 AM
    which app take up the least memory? The VZW Nav or the Garmim? Im looking for a Navigation App that takes up the least amount of space on my S1....

Thanks
    03-03-10 07:13 AM
    could you please give me the way on how to use it for totally free ?

thanks...
    That would be the same way that you get anything for free that was never intended to be free...you steal it. It would probably be easier for you to just go club some old lady over the head in a deserted parking garage, steal her purse and use that money to buy Garmin Mobile.
    03-03-10 08:00 AM
    Ok good! Thanks!

Time left to destination (2 hours 40 minutes left) is much more useful than displaying the arrival time (4:17 PM)!

If they have addressed all those cons in the Storm app, then maybe the Tour is soon to follow. The version i have is only 2 months old. Mine has NO options for any of the cons i list.

Looking forward to seeing what was updated!

uhmmm. I dont know howto do a screenshot. I tried capture it but I dont know how to make it do a screenshot of the GPS

Also Garmin Mobile is linked to your contacts. All you have to do is select a contact and wil automatically populate fields with contact address and start navagitaing. So basically it does most of what VZ navigator does
    03-03-10 07:49 PM
    No, it doesn't do what VZ Navigator does. You cannot open your BlackBerry contacts and hit 'Navigate' from there. It doesn't integrate into the BlackBerry menu. You have to open GM, go to Contacts, associate the contact, then hit navigate. It takes longer.

Too bad you couldn't get any screen shots. i was hoping to see the list of cons disputed! Can you give me a list of directions on how to display total miles to destination and how to display current road? That way i can ask another Storm owner to try it for me and get screen shots.

Also, in your list of Favorites, how do you jump to a specific Favorite? Pressing the letter doesn't do it. i must be missing something.

Thanks!

03-03-10 07:54 PM
    I agree. I just switched from VZ Navigator.
    Does anyone know if I still need Blackberry Maps application?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]
    03-04-10 12:04 PM
    You don't need to have BlackBerry Maps installed to use Garmin Mobile or VZ Navigator.
    03-04-10 12:07 PM
    Can Someone PM me too Please! Thanks
    03-09-10 10:19 AM
    See Post #131 for the answer to your question!
    03-10-10 04:12 PM
    I have Garmin. I like it a lot. It failed a couple times, when roads would change names. it made me make a uturn when I didn't need to. However, TeleNav has yet to fail me. I continue to pay and am very happy too because i know what i am getting. Sure I'd like to pay nothing. But the piece of mind alone is enough for me. Its like insurance for me that i do not get lost and wind up late to a meeting.

If I had issues paying, I would be more than happy to use Garmin. I just won't get all the features I have been spoiled with from TeleNav.
    03-10-10 09:35 PM
    People think Garmin is so much better to buy than VZ Nav because it's a one time fee. Well, it's $100 and stays with your phone. How many people keep their phone for 2-3 years? Not many. So essentially GM is $100/year and VZ Nav is $120.
    If you stay with a Balckberry GM still works without paying any additional fees. I had GM on my Storm, now have Storm2 and transferred GM over to new device. So no additional cost. Also, if you shop you can EASILY find GM for $75 (there's always a coupon or special being offered), that's what I paid. So for me, a one time cost of $75 for at least 2 years of use of GM. Compared to monthly $10 for VZNav which would run me $240. If I get another Blackberry after my Storm2 (can we look forward to the Storm3) I'd still be only out the $75 one time purchase for GM. GM works great for me, can't see paying $170+ more for same functionality using VZNav for 2 year period. To each their own I guess...
    03-11-10 06:18 AM
    If you stay with a Balckberry GM still works without paying any additional fees. I had GM on my Storm, now have Storm2 and transferred GM over to new device. So no additional cost.
    What is Garmin's official policy on device changes? Is it posted anywhere?

I know going from Storm1 to Storm2 is easy, as the apps appear to be compatible from one to the other (all apps I had on my S1 work on my S2).

But what about going from a Storm to say a Bold/9700, or Tour, or ?? Its a different version of the Garmin app because of the screen resolution and ball vs touch, right? Would they charge anything?
    03-11-10 06:31 AM
    From the Garmin Site. Some have said Garmin transferred their license but it's stated it's up to them. i'm not sure about moving the .cod file. That may be what folks are doing. Not sure if that would work from a touch screen to non touch.

Garmin Mobile license is not transferable and they make that clear in their terms. It is a one time, one device license. Meaning when you upgrade your BlackBerry you have to pay another $99 again.

03-11-10 06:42 AM
    From the Garmin Site. Some have said Garmin transferred their license but it's stated it's up to them. i'm not sure about moving the .cod file. That may be what folks are doing. Not sure if that would work from a touch screen to non touch.

Garmin Mobile license is not transferable and they make that clear in their terms. It is a one time, one device license. Meaning when you upgrade your BlackBerry you have to pay another $99 again.

I purchased my copy of Garmin Mobile from Handango. You can change your device directly through their website. When I switched from S1 to S2 I just went to their site, changed my device # and within a minute had my new activation code. Meaning when I upgraded I DID NOT have to pay another $99 (or in my case $75) again.
    03-11-10 07:38 AM
    I purchased my copy of Garmin Mobile from Handango. You can change your device directly through their website. When I switched from S1 to S2 I just went to their site, changed my device # and within a minute had my new activation code. Meaning when I upgraded I DID NOT have to pay another $99 (or in my case $75) again.
    +1 on this, I was able to do the same thing with Handango when going from my original S1 to the S2.
    03-11-10 07:55 AM
    That's good to know! Hopefully everyone can do that. Makes the price much better!

03-11-10 07:56 AM
    Just got this app is rocks!
    03-13-10 03:05 PM
    Can't download maps today. Any one else having this issue?
    03-15-10 10:16 AM
    Me neither. Any news on this?
    03-15-10 08:44 PM
147 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD