Has anyone tried the Garmin for Blackberry available on the Blackberry.com website? I have the 8703e which has the internal GPS which has apparantly been disable by my carrier (US Cellular), so I've been using Google Maps, Nav4All, and InfoSpace all without a GPS puck, but would like to get some sort of a GPS locator.

I also downloaded the Blackberry Maps which shows up in my application list, but I have no icon...seems to be hidden somewhere? Any suggestions?

Even though I've had my BB for a year I'm still new at this, so pretend I'm mildly ******** with any instructions :-)

By the way, this site is so very helpful and I LOVE my BB 8703e!! Most stable device I've ever owned.
    12-31-07 12:31 PM
    I used the trial of Garmin for BB and it works great. by far the best for BB. Problem is that you cannot download the maps to an SD card. you must used data for the maps AND a subscription service. Standalone GPS still the best bet for long term navigation.
    01-01-08 08:38 PM
    I've been trying to find answers on Garmin before I buy a Curve but their site isn't very informative.

I use the Garmin Mobile 10 for Treo 680 now and I love it. I love that I can download maps to an SD card. You're saying I can't download garmin maps and use w/ BB? I have to pay subscription to get maps and then data plan to actually get the maps?

HUH?

RSW
    02-01-08 03:29 AM
    Yes, the "maps" are downloaded as needed. The advantage is that they are always current, the latest version, and require no internal storage on your BB.

You couldn't put enough memory in a BB to hold the US. =)
    02-26-08 03:45 PM
    Where do you download the trial version?
    02-27-08 04:31 AM
    I currently use the Garmin Mobile on my 8310. I like the search capabilities the best. You can search for gas stations by the price of gas. It will show you where there is road construction and wrecks on major roads. It normally doesn't lag, but has in the past when it needs to re-route you because of a wrong turn. I've only had one issue with it, and that was in a warehouse section in kc where there are on-ramps, off-ramps and interstate running over the top of where I was. Garmin got really confused.
    02-27-08 12:31 PM
    Has anyone tried the Garmin for Blackberry available on the Blackberry.com website?
    Yes, I have tried TeleNav, Garmin (today), BB Maps, & Google Maps.

I also downloaded the Blackberry Maps which shows up in my application list, but I have no icon...seems to be hidden somewhere? Any suggestions?
    I installed it OTA, and it shows up fine for me.

After trying all the above, here are my thoughts:

1) TeleNav is the best (see below for why IMHO)
    2) Garmin has a better UI, but does not have as much detail
    and does not give you the names of cross streets on the map
    like TeleNav does.
    3) TeleNav has a better 3D view (IMHO) than Garmins, which
    is tilted to look like what you see out the window, making it
    a bit like a HUD.
    4) You can do everything on TeleNav except Garmin can remember
    your waypoints online, rather than just on the device. Not sure
    why that is great, except if you use multiple Garmin's I guess you
    only have to program a point once.
    5) TeleNav's UI works like every BB app, whereas Garmin's does not.

So, I plan to keep my TeleNav, but also like having Google Maps for a satilite view. =)

Patrick
    02-29-08 12:22 PM
    I used the trial recently on a trip from MS to OH and it worked great, even routed me around road construction. Only one problem ... if you are near a military base, your signal will be blocked (I found one zone as I came near Fort Knox ... wouldn't you know it was on the route I'd been redirected to due to road contruction. Fortunately the signal came back 7 miles before I was to turn off onto my exit!) Other than that misadventure, I liked it and plan to buy it as soon as I have the money.
    11-15-09 12:08 AM
    Only one problem ... if you are near a military base, your signal will be blocked (I found one zone as I came near Fort Knox
    And by what "logic" did you come to this deduction (e.g. military bases block signals)?

You will find many active duty members who use their GPS devices daily on their military airfileds, bases, and posts.

By the way, GPS is never "blocked" (unless they turn off the whole system or an enemy were to try and jam the signals locally during a way) rather the military has the ability to degrade the civilian signal so it is much less accurate. Given much more accurate methods of guidance are now available to the military it is no longer as strategic as years ago.
    11-15-09 08:46 AM
    Actually, I happen to have a friend in the military who confirmed that they do block devices like that around many military installations that have strategic significance to terrorists.
    11-24-09 02:52 PM
    Actually, I happen to have a friend in the military who confirmed that they do block devices like that around many military installations that have strategic significance to terrorists.
    You will need better evidence than, "I have a friend in the military", and stick to the discussion at hand, namely the function of your GPS device at Ft. Knox. This is especially true as I was not only in the military, but in intelligence.

By the way, do you understand how GPS functions? If you did, you would understand that GPS (ie the signal from the satellite) isn't "blocked", so if you have a GPS receiver, you can always get a GPS from any visible satellite period unless the system is off. The military used to "degrade" the timing values released to civilian devices but stopped doing that years ago. Your carrier may be able to block your access to network data (like say Google maps), and prevent any device on their network from using it, but not just around a limited area like a base. As I recall, Verizon blocked use of GPS on all Blackberrys on their network, but again this is an all or nothing thing.

By the way, I LIVE in Kentucky, and often drive by not only Ft. Knox but other much larger and more important military installations, and classified non-military installations, and have no such outage.

So, again, you can't assume just because you lost GPS it was because of where you happened to be at the time. And you certainly will not convince someone who drives right by Ft. Knox with GPS all the time that it is blocked, regardless of what your "friend" may say.

Perhaps you should get an iPhone, as I have never lost a signal yet since switching, and stop making assumptions based on faulty evidence and bad assumptions. But, like Al Gore, you probably never let evidence stop you from your delusional beliefs.
    11-24-09 03:40 PM
    Garmin, just bought it and it works great!! woot! I love it
    05-25-10 03:15 PM
    What I understand is that the application did not work around Fort Knox, and I was in a zone full of strip clubs, adult book stores, and liquor stores, where the ap had re-routed me due to construction on the main interstate. Glad you like your iPhone. If I wanted one of those, I'd already have it. If you use iPhone, then go take your trolling over there. I'm providing helpful information to someone who wanted to know the value of Garmin for Blackberry.
    08-27-10 02:42 PM
    Yes, the "maps" are downloaded as needed. The advantage is that they are always current, the latest version, and require no internal storage on your BB.

You couldn't put enough memory in a BB to hold the US. =)
    Own both a BB 8900 and a Samsung BJ2. Haven't put Garmin on the BB yet, but had no problem putting all the North American maps on a 4GB card on the BJ.
    10-02-10 07:22 AM
    Own both a BB 8900 and a Samsung BJ2. ... but had no problem putting all the North American maps on a 4GB card on the BJ.
    All, as in down to the street level in every little town in all of North America? I understand that you may have base maps for all of North America, but I'd be surprised if you have the same street-level resolution that Garmin provides through real-time downloads. Garmin for BlackBerry doesn't have an option to read maps from an SD card.
    rustmonkey likes this.
    10-02-10 08:23 AM
    Jeff, are there any gps's (i.e.) garmin , tomtom etc. that are bluetooh capable for a blackberry 8530 curve? I wanted to get my wife a seperate gps device that is bluetooth capable for answering calls since my state is going hands free as of next year.

Anthony

All, as in down to the street level in every little town in all of North America? I understand that you may have base maps for all of North America, but I'd be surprised if you have the same street-level resolution that Garmin provides through real-time downloads. Garmin for BlackBerry doesn't have an option to read maps from an SD card.
    12-15-10 09:39 AM
    I test-drove a Garmin 3790T for a couple weeks. Kinda pricey, but it's worth it if you want a great nav system with quality maps and lifetime traffic that also functions as a phone handsfree. If you do a lot of expressway driving, the Junction Views are really nice that show you which lane to be in coming up to an exit or ramp.

FWIW the 2008 nationwide, detailed map set for my old StreetPilot 2610 fits on a 2GB SD card.
    12-15-10 06:16 PM
    I am using a BB8330 on Boost Mobile. Data connectivity is 'bursty' and does not lend itself to a GPS that downloads maps. Better to use maps on an SD card. Is there such an app for the BB OS?

Garmin mobile XT for Symbian works with maps on an SD card. I wonder if there is a mod that can be done to repoint the map source from internet to the SD card.
    03-31-11 06:33 PM
    If you need preloaded maps, you might want to consider TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps. These are the only two mapping apps that I know of for the BlackBerry that don't use real-time data. I haven't used either.

Here is a link to a TrekBuddy tutorial: http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/tre...6/#post5811430.

I've never seen any mod that would allow Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry to work with an SD card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD