Just swapped my Koodoo Q5 from a monthly plan to a prepaid with add-ons. The main reason (and its a biggy) was that data and anytime long distance minutes add-on's ROLL OVER each month if the basic monthly plan is active. To me this is a game changer and should appeal to all northern and rural cell phone customers in Canada.
    Prepay unshackles customers from expensive contracts that many cannot take advantage of anyways. You own the phone instead of just rent it. Any map of the north will confirm coverage across this region is way less than .1 of a percent. In my case this means that I have coverage for maybe 25% of any 30 day period. When I do have cell coverage I am usually also covered by wifi. This means most of the minutes and data I pay for goes unused. I purchased my q5 online from Koodoo in march for 150 and started with a monthly plan then switched which required a new sim purchase of 20 bucks. I then got a 20 dollar Activation bonus so it cancelled out.
    Now that I own the phone I pay 15 dollars a month for basic unlimited text. I then bought 500 anytime long distance add on for 25 and 1 GB of data for 30. I then registered my credit card in order to not miss my monthly renewals and got a bonus 100 minutes.
    Now I pay 19.58 per-month with unlimited text, 50 anytime long distance minutes and 83.33 MB of data a month (enough for hundreds of e-mails) if I save surfing for wifi, averaged over a year. I could double my minutes (91) and data (166) and still only pay 24.16 per month.
    The only downside is that Koodoo pre-paid data will not support legacy BBOS devises.
    So Kudos to Koodoo an I would love to see Virgin take up the challenge.
    johnm137 likes this.
    09-06-14 09:42 AM
    I'm a Koodo subscriber as well and I bought the wife a Q5 recently, come October we will combine our individual Koodo plans for a saving . Owning you're phone and monthly plans save money....

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 01:48 PM
    Also Koodo here on my z10 and now my z30. I have the $40 plan w. 400mb a month...no roll over.

Koodo customer support was pretty great when I got my unlocked z30. It ate up all my data plus went 2 gb over during phone setup...was going to cost another $40 in overages. I called, explained what happened, they erased the extra charges.

Flicked out via Zed30
    09-06-14 02:05 PM
    Still not worth it.
    TBayTel -
    $50/mo,
    6gb data,
    unlimited north America everything else.
    All features Inc call forwarding.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 04:35 PM
    WIND mobile. $35/month

Unlimited data
    Unlimited calling 24/7
    Unlimited messaging

I've been with WIND for 3 years and it's been fantastic. Would never go back to the big three.

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure and theRock1975 like this.
    09-07-14 01:22 AM
    Still not worth it.
    TBayTel -
    $50/mo,
    6gb data,

Posted via CB10
    My point is that data and minutes are not lost every month. It would be impossible for me to use that amount of data when coverage is so miniscule. It would be a waste of money for me. Canada is a very large country
    09-07-14 09:25 AM
    WIND mobile. $35/month

Unlimited data
    Unlimited calling 24/7
    Unlimited messaging

I've been with WIND for 3 years and it's been fantastic. Would never go back to the big three.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't Wind for Toronto with no coverage in most of Canada? Again I challenge Virgin to match the roll over.
    Last edited by tangozulu; 09-07-14 at 09:43 AM.
    09-07-14 09:28 AM
    Still not worth it.
    TBayTel -
    $50/mo,
    6gb data,

Posted via CB10
    Just wondering if your locked into a contract?
    09-07-14 09:47 AM
    WIND mobile. $35/month

Unlimited data
    Unlimited calling 24/7
    Unlimited messaging

Posted via CB10
    Wind still has to catch up with their coverage, and still cannot match the big three in this area.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    09-07-14 10:15 AM
    WIND mobile. $35/month

Unlimited data
    Unlimited calling 24/7
    Unlimited messaging

Posted via CB10
    Wind Mobile is crap in Vancouver - no LTE, no or poor reception in buildings and underground malls even right in downtown Vancouver. Rates are cheap but a lot of times you're in the "away" zone so you have to pay an extra .20 a min in that zone. Coverage is extremely poor amd they sound like they might be out of business soon amyway as their major European backer has basically all but given up on them.
    09-07-14 10:23 AM
    WIND mobile's coverage has improved significantly over the years. All of the GTA, Halton, Hamilton, and Niagara have coverage for the most part. Yes, it is not LTE but it is 3G which is more than fast enough for me.

Their subscriber base continues to grow and is over 700k at the moment. They will be most likely gaining more spectrum in the upcoming spectrum auction which will be for new entrants only. They have also decreased their fees for when you use your phone in an away zone.

I have been nothing but impressed with WIND since converting over and it continues to get better. Again, I would never switch back to the big 3. I highly recommend WIND mobile.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 09:35 PM
    Isn't Wind for Toronto with no coverage in most of Canada? Again I challenge Virgin to match the roll over.
    Get your information straight before you quote!.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 10:52 PM
    Wind still has to catch up with their coverage, and still cannot match the big three in this area.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Again get your information right before you quote!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 10:54 PM
    I've been with Wind for a long time and I DO recommend their service if you're in Toronto and don't travel a lot.

However. Stay away from their customer service. It is the absolute worst.

Seven including Rogers and Bell in that. Their customer service is THAT bad

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    09-07-14 11:02 PM
    WIND mobile. $35/month

Unlimited data
    Unlimited calling 24/7
    Unlimited messaging

Posted via CB10
    I used to be on Wind. All my tech support calls went to rude support staff in the Middle East. So I switched to a more local outfit.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 11:08 PM
    Moved to koodoo subforums, which should help for others looking

Sent from my White Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-08-14 02:42 AM
    Get your information straight before you quote!.

Posted via CB10
    I checked Winds Map and its pretty much the worst on Canada and absolutely nothing in the north, except in Alaska.
    09-08-14 09:28 AM
    WIND mobile's coverage has improved significantly over the years. All of the GTA, Halton, Hamilton, and Niagara have coverage for the most part. Yes, it is not LTE but it is 3G which is more than fast enough for me.

Their subscriber base continues to grow and is over 700k at the moment. They will be most likely gaining more spectrum in the upcoming spectrum auction which will be for new entrants only. They have also decreased their fees for when you use your phone in an away zone.

I have been nothing but impressed with WIND since converting over and it continues to get better. Again, I would never switch back to the big 3. I highly recommend WIND mobile.

Posted via CB10
    I certainly agree I would avoid the big three Bell, Rogers, Telus though their budget services including Virgin, Koodoo, Fido are the best way to have cross Canada coverage. I would love to see Virgin match koodoo in add on roll overs. Pretty sure Telus/Koodo is killing Bell/Virgin right now for new customers.
    09-08-14 09:36 AM
    Decided to move this back to general as it is discussion about competition among providers and better exposure.
    09-08-14 12:02 PM
    I used to be on Wind. All my tech support calls went to rude support staff in the Middle East. So I switched to a more local outfit.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, WIND's customer service reps are not the greatest, however, Rogers/Fido and Bell/Virgin are not much better from my own experiences. Regardless, I rarely, if ever, have to call for support so that is not an issue for me. Definitely not worth paying double to triple per month. That's just my opinion though.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 12:47 PM
    Wind does have the best deal, the problem is the signal dies off as soon as you go into any large industrial buildings. You can always spot the wind customers as soon as there phone goes off they run to an outside window or door to answer!
    skstrials likes this.
    09-08-14 04:01 PM
    Decided to move this back to general as it is discussion about competition among providers and better exposure.
    Thanks Mate
    09-09-14 07:48 PM
    Still not worth it.
    TBayTel -
    $50/mo,
    6gb data,

Are u locked into a contract? What would u get for 19.58 a month off contract? I get unlimited text, 50 long distance anytime minutes and 85 GB of data with no commitment.
    I love being a free man.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Must work for Wind. When I worked for Rogers, I had many people from Wind switch back because of the horrible reception they had in downtown Toronto. Some complained about not being able to make calls from their apartment buildings even though they were above the 10+ floors.

To each his/her own on who the providers are really.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 03:42 PM
    I also have the $150 koodo q5, but I went prepaid right away. I pre-authorized my credit card but didn't get the 100 minutes. I did however get 10% credit on my account so effectively I am paying $13.50 per month for unlimited texting and whatever block of data and talk I would like to add on. As the Omentioned, any unused talk an

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 06:58 AM
37 12