I'm in my last year of my contract, and my 9000 is getting tired and worn out.

I'm holding out for the BB10 phones, but I have to admit, I was very very tempted today to pull the trigger.

Hurry up RIM and release them!

GALAXY NEXUS FROM GOOGLE - Best Buy Canada
    03-16-12 11:24 AM
    You realize you have quite a wait for the BB10?
    03-16-12 11:42 AM
    If you think the nexus is going to work for you and meet your needs for the next three years then pull the trigger.
    Like you, I live in the land of the three year contract. It's always a hard decision for me because three years is a long f@ckin time to be tied to a phone. Last fall I was still using a storm 9530 and planned on waiting for bb10 phones but one day the screen went black and never came back, haha. I bought a 9860 on a three year and will be stuck with it.

Good luck with your dilemma!
    03-16-12 11:49 AM
    if you are gonna be stuck with a phone for 3 years, don't get an android. Android phones are fun and all, but you won't want to be stuck with them for 3 years.

In order to get the latest apps for Android, you will need the latest OS, but in order to get the latest OS, you will need the latest hardware. And android hardware evolves fast.
    03-16-12 12:02 PM
    In order to get the latest apps for Android, you will need the latest OS, but in order to get the latest OS, you will need the latest hardware. And android hardware evolves fast.
    Except for that last sentence, the exact same can be said for BlackBerry.
    torches likes this.
    03-16-12 12:20 PM
    the Galaxy Nexus is a great device. Since you have shown interest, you must have read all the great things about it. Which are true. Here is a summary of the cons to me. But this might not apply to your needs.

Cons:
    Poor battery. Buying the extended battery is a standard process when acquiring this phone. Its not expensive at around $30, but even with it, managing your battery life will consume a good part of your honey moon with the phone. I personally like to use my devices at "full tilt" (bright screen, wifi, applicable-LTE, GPS) and to make it through a single average usage business day (6AM - 10PM) you will need to eliminate one or more of the features listed above. Some say managing the OS is the key to a better battery life, but my brother is still tweaking it since it came out.

Poor speaker quality: some say its software related, but its true.
    Poor reception on Verizon: some say its software related, others have not had this problem.

Poor Camera: but if you are switching from a BB, you will not be disappointed.

everything else is fantastic. great OS, very fast, fantastic screen when brightness is not on low.

On the other Hand, BB10 does not exist yet. if you can get the GN at $0, and you plan on staying with your carrier for 3 years, you can always sell it when the BB10 comes out for like $300 and split the cost of a BB10 out of contract.
    JWWDUKE and glennster28 like this.
    03-16-12 12:27 PM
    I'm in my last year of my contract, and my 9000 is getting tired and worn out.

I'm holding out for the BB10 phones, but I have to admit, I was very very tempted today to pull the trigger.

Hurry up RIM and release them!

GALAXY NEXUS FROM GOOGLE - Best Buy Canada
    bb10 phones wont be out till late 4th quarter of 2012 at the earliest, so i wouldnt start holding your breath lol
    03-16-12 03:33 PM
    Completely untrue. Aside from the hardware evolving quickly anyway... the claim that latest apps require the latest OS is false, and the claim that the latest OS is only available on latest handsets is also false. I'd even go as far to say that Android devices are more susceptible to OS updates than BB devices.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-16-12 at 04:59 PM.
    03-16-12 04:29 PM
    if you are gonna be stuck with a phone for 3 years, don't get an android. Android phones are fun and all, but you won't want to be stuck with them for 3 years.

That's is true, it seems Android lifecycles are much shorter, but Nexus phones seem not be get "dated" as fast..... I'm holding out hope that the next generation phones will be killer, and worth holding onto for 3 years
    Last edited by glennster28; 03-16-12 at 04:33 PM.
    03-16-12 04:30 PM
    Cons:
    Poor battery. Buying the extended battery is a standard process when acquiring this phone. Its not expensive at around $30, but even with it, managing your battery life will consume a good part of your honey moon with the phone. I personally like to use my devices at "full tilt" (bright screen, wifi, applicable-LTE, GPS) and to make it through a single average usage business day (6AM - 10PM) you will need to eliminate one or more of the features listed above. Some say managing the OS is the key to a better battery life, but my brother is still tweaking it since it came out.
    I get 12-14 hours of heavy use, and 15-18 hours of moderate use. All I've done is drop the display brightness to 30% (which is still incredibly bright compared to most displays). Though I will admit I'm on WiFi 75% or more of the time. Disclaimer: I tend to consider my battery drained at 20%.

It is software related. Latest updates correct the issue.

Poor reception on Verizon: some say its software related, others have not had this problem.
    As a GNex owner on VZW in Denver, I have not experienced this. But won't discount it as I couldn't prove otherwise.

The camera is not poor by far. It's a great camera.
    It's in the top 90 percentile in smartphone camera quality, but comparisons to the top 95 percentile entices min/maxers to label it as poor. As well, there's some qualities that set it above all the others (as pertains to the camera app itself)

everything else is fantastic. great OS, very fast, fantastic screen when brightness is not on low.

On the other Hand, BB10 does not exist yet. if you can get the GN at $0, and you plan on staying with your carrier for 3 years, you can always sell it when the BB10 comes out for like $300 and split the cost of a BB10 out of contract.
    Replies in bold.
    03-16-12 04:41 PM

You're not very familiar with Android. My wife has a 3+ year old Captivate that's got the latest Android software on it and running it quite nicely. And considering this is a Nexus, it'll be more than capable of running the latest Android software for years. The nexus is a developers device for a reason.
    03-16-12 05:48 PM
    thats crazy the Nexus JUST came out. i guess Apple attacking them with the lawsute over it worked. dropping it to zero dollars is a great way to get it off the market.
    http://mashable.com/2012/02/13/apple...-galaxy-nexus/
    03-16-12 07:15 PM
    If you think the nexus is going to work for you and meet your needs for the next three years then pull the trigger.
    Like you, I live in the land of the three year contract. It's always a hard decision for me because three years is a long f@ckin time to be tied to a phone. Last fall I was still using a storm 9530 and planned on waiting for bb10 phones but one day the screen went black and never came back, haha. I bought a 9860 on a three year and will be stuck with it.

Good luck with your dilemma!
    You can always buy or sell your phones on Craigslist before the 3 years is up.

Blackberries are cheap on Craigslist.
    03-16-12 07:46 PM
    Except for that last sentence, the exact same can be said for BlackBerry.
    Not really

since you can get a fantastic BlackBerry experience without any 3rd party apps

as someone who in the last 60 days has given a 8330, 9000, 9800, 9630, 8530, shot as my second phone again I can tell you, the Basic experience and need for business worked pretty much the same on all of them with the exception of network speed, and handing the email rush of having the phone in a no signal area for extended periods of time.

The BlackBerry Experience from my 8330, all the way to my 9790, is enjoyable as a communications device, and doesn't really need any additional apps, ( except I do LOVE BlackBerry Travel on my 9790)

Where Android the user experience seems defined by your apps, and what you can install and RUN, so your life span if far shorter if that is your defining factor of the platform.

THAT said, if I was the OP, and wasn't willing to buy a BBOS7 device, I'd go ahead and get the Galaxy now and give it a shot, if you don't like it you can sell it off and try and get a BBOS7 device for the money,
    Last edited by deRusett; 03-16-12 at 07:52 PM.
    03-16-12 07:48 PM
    the Galaxy Nexus is a great device. Since you have shown interest, you must have read all the great things about it. Which are true. Here is a summary of the cons to me. But this might not apply to your needs.

Cons:

1. Battery life on my Nexus far exceeds my Blackberry.
    2. Sound quality on my Nexus is the best in the business. It is fantastic.
    3. Camera: Yes, the camera is disappointing. Much worse than my Blackberry. It is not very good.

Check out my battery life in the attached picture.
    03-16-12 07:50 PM
    A 3 year contract?it is a phone,not professional sports lol.You canadians get hosed up there.
    03-17-12 07:25 AM
    A 3 year contract?it is a phone,not professional sports lol.You canadians get hosed up there.
    there are a couple carriers in Canada that you can get phones without a contract, but usually you have to purchase the phone outright...and alot of people dont have the cash to lay out $500 for a 9810, 9900 or a droid. but some of us who hate being tied in say screw it anyhow lol
    03-17-12 07:52 AM
    Completely untrue. Aside from the hardware evolving quickly anyway... the claim that latest apps require the latest OS is false, and the claim that the latest OS is only available on latest handsets is also false. I'd even go as far to say that Android devices are more susceptible to OS updates than BB devices.
    He's looking at a 3 year contract, in 3 years Nexus will be older than his 9000 will ever get.
    03-17-12 08:15 AM
    To those with good battery life on GN, are you using the stock battery or the extended battery? Also are you running the phone with all of the features on at all times? I dont want to debate and tell you that you are wrong, but instrad maybe i can get some tips to give my brother. LTE on the whole time? Wifi on the whole time? True GPS(not the cell tower triangle proximity GPS) on the whole time? What about screen brightness? I will say that IMO 3O% was not bright enough for my personal eyes. But i will not wrong you of that either. My brother finds it acceptable also. I will have to let him know that the new update you mentioned corrected the speaker issue. As far as the camera, i guess its a personal opinion also. It is their flagship phone. The razr takes better pictures IMO. Its sort of like my old bb9650 took better Pictures than the bb9930 i had. I do think its software related since it takes good video and i find 5mp to be a fair size. Again it is a great phone and i will not take away all the great things that arent even mention on this thread. Just wanted to give my personal opinon, even though its second hand.
    03-17-12 08:18 AM
    Most here have never owned an Android phone and only speak from what the hear and read. I had enough with blackberry when I got the 9860 and the back buttons broke 45 days after I got it. (known issue)
    When the Galaxy Nexus came out I got mine on the first and and paid full price from Virgin Canada now running on Telus with no problem.
    I've had Storm 1,2, 9800 and 9860 and the battery life on the 9860 was worse than the Storm 2.
    I don't carry a spare battery and my phone will take me through out the whole day...In my opinion it's better battery life than the 9860.
    Good luck waiting for RIM and BB10, check their history on release dates, they say Q4 if it ever comes out and I'm not convinced, it will be Q1 2013 and will try to convince you it's because they want to get it perfect...LOL (did you know Texas Instrument new cpu comes out in late Q4 or Q1 2013 seems this could be RIM's new chip, dual core all other phones at this time will be quad core...RIM always behind, just my guess)
    Now I don't have to worry about apps that are not available on the BB...I use to defend BB and no apps and had all the excuse for not wanting apps but when it is available you see the difference it makes.
    BB10 will come out with still very little apps and only run few android apps just like my playbook.
    It took me a while to switch because I would miss BBM now I don't even remember it.
    Don't worry this phone will run all the apps and will last the three years...BTW I've never kept a BB for three years because when a new OS comes out things that run on the new OS never seems to run on the old OS and the new OS takes a while to run some of your current apps.
    After I got my phone back from repair I tried to sell it on Kijiji and Craigslist list for $300 and 3 months later, still no sale.
    Go get the Galaxy Nexus it a much better phone in my opinion this coming from a former die hard BB fan.
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-17-12 at 09:18 AM.
    03-17-12 09:09 AM
    You can get 1,2, or 3y contracts (not sure if on all phones, btw) but the subsidy is so heavily weighted toward the 3y plan that the shorter ones are almost pointless.
    03-17-12 09:28 AM
    To put it in perspective, a Bold 9000 sells for more money on ebay then the Google Nexus One. Nothing looses its value faster then an Android phone. Blackberrys keep their value better.
    03-17-12 04:43 PM
    To those with good battery life on GN, are you using the stock battery or the extended battery? Also are you running the phone with all of the features on at all times? I dont want to debate and tell you that you are wrong, but instrad maybe i can get some tips to give my brother. LTE on the whole time? Wifi on the whole time? True GPS(not the cell tower triangle proximity GPS) on the whole time? What about screen brightness? I will say that IMO 3O% was not bright enough for my personal eyes. But i will not wrong you of that either. My brother finds it acceptable also. I will have to let him know that the new update you mentioned corrected the speaker issue. As far as the camera, i guess its a personal opinion also. It is their flagship phone. The razr takes better pictures IMO. Its sort of like my old bb9650 took better Pictures than the bb9930 i had. I do think its software related since it takes good video and i find 5mp to be a fair size. Again it is a great phone and i will not take away all the great things that arent even mention on this thread. Just wanted to give my personal opinon, even though its second hand.
    I have everything on except GPS. Screen on automatic. I use the normal battery. My version of the GN does not have LTE. It is HSPA+
    03-17-12 05:06 PM
    After I got my phone back from repair I tried to sell it on Kijiji and Craigslist list for $300 and 3 months later, still no sale.
    Go get the Galaxy Nexus it a much better phone in my opinion this coming from a former die hard BB fan.
    Blackberries on Craigslist in Canada are like herpes. Nobody wants them. I bought a 2 month old 9700 for $85. In the box and immaculate.

If you have a used Blackberry to sell, you are better off giving it away. Trying to sell it is a waste of your time. I have bought lots of used Blackberries from kids brainwashed that they need an iphone to be cool. Blackberries really are a good deal on the used market and you can always low ball and get a good deal. In terms of value, if you buy used, there is absolutely no better smartphone than a Blackberry. Only a fool pays retail for a Blackberry.
    03-17-12 05:15 PM
    Blackberries on Craigslist in Canada are like herpes. Nobody wants them. I bought a 2 month old 9700 for $85. In the box and immaculate.

If you have a used Blackberry to sell, you are better off giving it away. Trying to sell it is a waste of your time. I have bought lots of used Blackberries from kids brainwashed that they need an iphone to be cool. Blackberries really are a good deal on the used market and you can always low ball and get a good deal. In terms of value, if you buy used, there is absolutely no better smartphone than a Blackberry. Only a fool pays retail for a Blackberry.
    Fools, they should sell on ebay, a 8300 gets over $100 still.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=fZ-JVqUi
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 03-17-12 at 05:44 PM.
    03-17-12 05:22 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD