As someone who works in marketing, I can tell you this is typical of big-budget marketing spend. Throw a ton of money at initiatives to drive branding/exposure and not much else. The point isn't to grow sales, it's to grow mindshare.

That having been said, this is a complete waste of money. Samsung was so successful because of their "Next Big Thing" campaign. They took Apple head on and had the hardware to wow the consumer. That doesn't mean the Galaxy S4 (or whatever) is a better phone than any other, it just means they had something meaningful to say: in a world where there seems like there's only one option, there is another.

BlackBerry failed in their marketing of BB10 because they failed to identify where they want to belong in the marketplace, and their advertising reflected that. It was broad, ambiguous and didn't say WHY you should consider BlackBerry. The product was perfect for the people to whom it was being marketed (people who "do"; BB10 is too advanced for the average consumer) but they failed to recognize the real threat of having this focus -- without widespread adoption by consumers, there is no widespread adoption by developers, which led to the platform's inability to reach the tipping point (not to mention shoddy launches, awful PR, and inability to keep to a single schedule). Etc etc I'm tired time for bed.
    JeepBB and spikesolie like this.
    12-23-13 12:43 AM
    Holy f..ck!!!
    Short AAPL!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by apfx; 12-23-13 at 02:11 AM.
    12-23-13 12:52 AM
    For so long people complained that the BB10 commercials didn't show what the phones can do and that was bad. Samsung commercial doesn't show what the phone can do and it's all good. This ad has celebrity endorsement and flash. What more do you need if your name is Samsung? It kind of reinforces my stance that better BlackBerry marketing may not have changed a whole lot. It could have helped a little to pump money into more effective marketing, but I don't think it would have changed the direction BlackBerry has taken.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 01:14 AM
    Has no one on here actually entertained the idea that maybe BB is failing not because of marketing, but because of a substandard phone and OS? Everyone takes for granted that it was lack of marketing that killed BB10, but I am starting to think otherwise. I think BB10 is just an unintuitive mess with subpar hardware to boot. Add on a massive lack of apps and mediocre specs and you have the debacle that is BB in its current form. iPhone customers are dug in...they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Android is light years ahead of any OS out there...it's not for everyone, but for those that want specs, customization and the latest and greatest...Android is king...by a mile. Then you have windows phone that is somewhere in between the two as far as specs and customization is concerned. Then BB comes along with absolutely nothing to add to the game. Why would someone want a 5" 720p screen with cruddy apps?? Such a simple question, but that is the crux of their problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-23-13 06:03 PM
    Since when did a phone commercial show off the actual phone?... in fact... since when did any commercial for a product display the actual product throughout the entire commercial?
    Ever seen an iPad or iPhone commercial?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-28-13 10:51 PM
    Has no one on here actually entertained the idea that maybe BB is failing not because of marketing, but because of a substandard phone and OS? Everyone takes for granted that it was lack of marketing that killed BB10, but I am starting to think otherwise.
    Oh, a few here agree that marketing isn't to blame for the commercial failure of BB10... but, it gets tiring to point it out because the faithful simply won't have it. You'll just be labelled a troll, hater, or (my personal favourite) a negative nancy.

I guess it's human nature at work. The faithful genuinely believe that BB10, both hardware and OS, is the best thing since sliced bread... and simply won't have it that such a wonderful device isn't selling... but as it *isn't* selling and as it can't be the wondrous BB10 at fault, it must be something else that has prevented BB10 selling like hot cakes... and we reach the conclusion so often stated on CB that it *must* be poor marketing that is to blame. After all, everyone has always known BB marketing stinks.

Funny thing is, as BB marketing has *always* been rubbish... how to explain the success of BB legacy devices which sold in the multi-millions despite suffering the same appalling marketing. BB once ruled the smartphone world, and legacy devices still outsell BB10 devices 3:1.

It's OK though, if believing that marketing is the reason BB10 hasn't sold keeps the faithful happy, I'm content. After all, there isn't enough happiness in the world and it does no harm to believe.
    amjass12 and lady of the lake like this.
    12-30-13 06:51 AM
    Hello Crackberry.. wasn't sure where to post this in, so please move where you see fit.
    Like Android Central ?
    01-01-14 08:26 AM
    The Galaxy 11 idea is plagiarism. See the link below to share this and inform yourself.
    launch.deathcommand.com
    03-04-14 03:48 PM
    The Galaxy 11 idea is plagiarism. See the link below to share this and inform yourself.
    launch.deathcommand.com
    Hmm interesting.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-04-14 06:19 PM
    Wtf was that

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    03-04-14 09:45 PM
    Not quite my cup of tea.

Canada BBM channel C001234A4
    03-04-14 10:36 PM
    I don't know who a single one of those guys are. Lol
    03-05-14 06:31 AM
    I don't know who a single one of those guys are. Lol
    They are famous football (soccer players) primarily in Europe.

Agree with the post above also, that some bb100 failure is due to a substandard os more than a failure in marketing.

I love bb10. No question and won't change. But when bb10 came out. Would I say it introduced features better than the comp. The hub and keyboard most definetely. But the rest, a catch up.. a mediocre catch up at that.. and nothing else... certainly not the innovation that was required to save bb.

I lk neve r let go of my z30 though. But one also had to be realistic.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 11:41 AM
    I thought that was bad ***! Had no idea what they were supposed to be advertising, but still bad ***.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-05-14 11:19 PM
    Has no one on here actually entertained the idea that maybe BB is failing not because of marketing, but because of a substandard phone and OS? Everyone takes for granted that it was lack of marketing that killed BB10, but I am starting to think otherwise. I think BB10 is just an unintuitive mess with subpar hardware to boot. Add on a massive lack of apps and mediocre specs and you have the debacle that is BB in its current form. iPhone customers are dug in...they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Android is light years ahead of any OS out there...it's not for everyone, but for those that want specs, customization and the latest and greatest...Android is king...by a mile. Then you have windows phone that is somewhere in between the two as far as specs and customization is concerned. Then BB comes along with absolutely nothing to add to the game. Why would someone want a 5" 720p screen with cruddy apps?? Such a simple question, but that is the crux of their problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree in part. Phone was substandard and the OS should have been where 10.2.1 is now.

Part of the problem was over marketing too, I think. BlackBerry built up BB10 to leaps and bounds ahead of all other OS and it just wasn't.

I think they're on the right track now though.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 03-05-14 at 11:36 PM.
    03-05-14 11:23 PM
    Cool commercial so much potential for more

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 06:18 PM
41 12