Exclusive: Microsoft Betrays BlackBerry as Battle to Become #3 Mobile OS Officially Kicks Off | The Gadget Masters

There is something about Instagram:

Microsoft Holding Back Instagram on BlackBerry 10

While BlackBerry announced top apps such as Angry Birds, Kindle, SAP, Skype and Whatsapp for BB 10, Instagram was conspicuously missing. Multiple RIM insiders have confirmed to us that a native BB 10 version of Instagram has been ready for months. However, Microsoft has been using its 1.6% ownership of Facebook and its strategic alliance with the social media giant to prevent Instagram from launching on BB 10.

what do you guys think?
    As a competitor, would Microsoft commit this? It is possible
    Korepab and Acumenight like this.
    02-03-13 12:42 AM
    Isn't Instagram also missing from Windows Phone 8?
    02-03-13 12:56 AM
    Isn't Instagram also missing from Windows Phone 8?
    Yes, for now.

But CB Kevin was teasing about Instagram on his post earlier. The debate is whether it was a sideloaded Android app or native. I believe it's native. If it was sideloaded, Kevin wouldn't tease like that. So I think Instagram will be on BB10 very, very soon.
    02-03-13 01:01 AM
    Really? A 1.6% stake holder has that much sway??? There's no way that's the reason.
    Last edited by ffejrobins30; 02-03-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Typo correction
    02-03-13 01:03 AM
    Looks like the betraying isn't working too well based on kevin's picture
    ibpluto likes this.
    02-03-13 01:05 AM
    1.6% ownership is probably enough to make BB hold off until WP8 has Instagram to make it a fair fight for themselves even.

I know a lot of you guys don't care about Instagram (nor do I) but there are a lot of people that I talk to about BB10 devices and for some, the first question they ask is if it has Instagram on it.
    02-03-13 01:20 AM
    I don't think MS owns enough of FB to veto this move. I think it's much more likely that Apple has some kind of influence here, but even that seems unlikely.
    02-03-13 01:24 AM
    well that is a rumor, so I am just want to share to you guys so that we can laugh lol
    02-03-13 01:43 AM
    I don't think MS owns enough of FB to veto this move. I think it's much more likely that Apple has some kind of influence here, but even that seems unlikely.
    So let's review. Facebook owns Instagram, and Microsoft owns 1.6% of Facebook. You don't think MS's 1.6% of Facebook is enough to matter, yet you're suggesting that Apple, which owns zero percent of Facebook or Instagram, is somehow responsible? I'm anxious to hear the facts supporting this claim, because at this moment it's one of the most paranoid things I've ever read on this site, which is no small feat.
    02-03-13 02:49 AM
    What about Skype?
    02-03-13 03:08 AM
    LOL

There's no way that's the reason Instagram isn't on BB10 yet. Conspiracy theorists....they'll stop at nothing. Even at freaking mobile phones!
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-03-13 03:21 AM
    I suspect the news has slowed down this week and someone pulled this piece of paper from the conspiracy theory tin.

If they were going to withhold instagram wouldn't they sooner withhold Skype? Sure we don't have it yet but it seems to be confirmed. Anyway I think this is all BS

Also. KEVIN. Is that app native, sideloaded, ported, photoshopped.......... What?!? Crackberry faithful request answers!!!!!!!!!
    02-03-13 03:34 AM
    Competiting companies compete with each other shocker!

Next on this channel:

* Does the Pope have catholic leanings?

* What are the bears doing in those woods?
    rjkolo, kingb71, Jake2826 and 1 others like this.
    02-03-13 03:36 AM
    I'm not sure Microsoft would do that. Remember that in Europe, they are still under huge scrutiny from the regulators. If they were responsible for this they'd probably get fined a few trillion euros for anti-competitive measures.
    02-03-13 08:30 AM
    Yes, for now.

But CB Kevin was teasing about Instagram on his post earlier. The debate is whether it was a sideloaded Android app or native. I believe it's native. If it was sideloaded, Kevin wouldn't tease like that. So I think Instagram will be on BB10 very, very soon.
    My thinking is exactly the opposite of this.

It was sideloaded or he wouldn't be permitted to talk about it. Only time will tell.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-03-13 08:36 AM
    1.6% is not a big share to block any transaction. This is a business and msft n fb know that bb have over 78millions user that at least 20-35 million are waiting for instagram. And they can exapnd their business plus instagram is no on wp yet.

So i take those comments as just speculations.
    02-03-13 08:39 AM
    You left off the more interesting part of the article:
    When the Lumia 920 (or HTC 8X) is compared to the BlackBerry Z10 (with its BlackBerry Hub, Flow and Peek) it is clear that BB 10 will win this battle by a wide margin. Ultimately, BlackBerry understands and fully embraces mobile, while Microsoft is becoming more irrelevant every day in the post-PC world.
    02-03-13 08:42 AM
    what do you guys think?
    I think... the headline portrays it as a fact. Whereas the quote mixes possible fact (that Instagram for BB10 has been ready -- something "insiders" at RIM might indeed know), which speculation. That is -- that the reason for the delay is Microsoft using is 1.6% stake to hold up the release.
    02-03-13 08:53 AM
    I heard Skype only committed in the last week before launch or so... Let's assume BlackBerry had to pay up for the Skype app. Microsoft asks Facebook to delay their 'commitment' for Instagram on BB10 so that they could negotiate a higher price for Skype. BlackBerry eventually paid up because Skype would make up for apps still 'missing' or 'not committed' at launch such as Instagram, Netflix, ... It doesn't seem too paranoid, does it? It's just business.. anyway, just my theory. Microsoft must have been well aware of Instagram still being 'to be determined'.
    02-03-13 09:23 AM
    If this is true then microsoft are hypocrites which would explain why everyone hates them. If we don't see skype soon then they hypocrites yet again. The ball is in your court microsoft so either play fair or shut up.

Microsoft files EU complaint over Google, Motorola | Reuters
    Microsoft complains about Google blocking full access to Youtube by Windows 8 devices | Searchub Blog
    Now Google is blocking Windows Phones from accessing maps.google.com | WMPoweruser

You can't cry like a little girl microsoft and then do the same thing. I hate F$%king hypocrites
    02-03-13 09:32 AM
    Why don't we just add to that Microsoft is the reason for the delay in the US too...every level of government uses some sort of Windows so Microsoft pulled out all the stops to stop BlackBerry getting in the states for a few months....lol...
    02-03-13 09:39 AM
    Competiting companies compete with each other shocker!

Next on this channel:

* Does the Pope have catholic leanings?

* What are the bears doing in those woods?
    Ya but that would make your beloved microsoft hypocrites and sore losers. Like i said microsoft the balls in your court.

Microsoft files EU complaint over Google, Motorola | Reuters
    Microsoft complains about Google blocking full access to Youtube by Windows 8 devices | Searchub Blog
    02-03-13 09:42 AM
    Makes perfect sense. Microsoft wants 3rd place, so they're gonna throw their weight around and stop BlackBerry from getting the apps. They'll use their 1.6% ownership of Facebook to stop Instagram, but unfortunately for them, their 100% ownership of Skype wasn't enough to keep it from coming to BB10.

hamletz90 and slotime like this.
    02-03-13 09:53 AM
    Exclusive: Microsoft Betrays BlackBerry as Battle to Become #3 Mobile OS Officially Kicks Off | The Gadget Masters

There is something about Instagram:

Microsoft Holding Back Instagram on BlackBerry 10

While BlackBerry announced top apps such as Angry Birds, Kindle, SAP, Skype and Whatsapp for BB 10, Instagram was conspicuously missing. Multiple RIM insiders have confirmed to us that a native BB 10 version of Instagram has been ready for months. However, Microsoft has been using its 1.6% ownership of Facebook and its strategic alliance with the social media giant to prevent Instagram from launching on BB 10.

what do you guys think?
    If they were really betraying BlackBerry why not hold them out on Skype?
    02-03-13 10:02 AM
    Makes perfect sense. Microsoft wants 3rd place, so they're gonna throw their weight around and stop BlackBerry from getting the apps. They'll use their 1.6% ownership of Facebook to stop Instagram, but unfortunately for them, their 100% ownership of Skype wasn't enough to keep it from coming to BB10.

Exactly. 100% of conspiracy theorists agree that 1.6% ownership of a publicly traded company nets far more control than 100% ownership of a subsidiary. Open your eyes, conspiracy deniers, and you'll see that when it comes to company control, 1.6% beats 100%.
    02-03-13 10:43 AM
27 12