10 Reasons Not To Give Up On BlackBerry

Published Thursday, Mar. 01, 2012 5:00AM EST
    Lynn Greiner

Research In Motion Ltd. has been the target of a lot of sniping in recent months. Hating it seems to have become a bit of a sport – the company apparently can’t do anything right.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but while the other platforms (which, yes, I have used) have many strengths, BlackBerry still has a lot going for it. Here are 10 reasons why a BlackBerry can be the smartest choice when you’re picking a smartphone.

1. There’s something to be said for history. Independent technology analyst Carmi Levy points out that, since the original BlackBerry was designed to run on much slower networks with lower capacity, the devices made extremely efficient use of bandwidth, and today’s BlackBerry shares that heritage. “While overloaded wireless networks often crumble under the combined weight of Siri-using iPhone users, BlackBerry users manage to get their message through,” he says. “And stay under their monthly data caps.”

2. Efficient network usage pays off in unexpected ways. Less data sent and received means lower power usage, and that means longer battery life. It’s not unusual for my BlackBerry to go several days between charges. “The BlackBerry may not sport the latest, most full-featured apps when compared to the iPhone and Android,” notes Mr. Levy, “but none of that matters toward the end of the day when those other superphones are long dead and the only device with enough juice to send that mission-critical attachment has a RIM logo on it.”

3. Nothing can beat a good QWERTY keyboard. Say what you will about soft keyboards (the Windows Phone 7 version is quite nice), but for heavy messagers, a QWERTY with buttons is best. And most BlackBerrys have good QWERTY keyboards. “If high-volume messaging-on-the-go is your thing,” says Mr. Levy, “you have pretty much only one choice.”

4. BlackBerry is the gold standard in mobile security. Transmissions are encrypted, end to end. It may not seem important at first blush, but with the increasing number of apps making financial transactions, be they banking or shopping or mobile payment, it’s critical to make sure those transmissions are secured.

5. Everything works together. “Its tight integration of hardware, operating system, software and services is a boon to consumers and businesses looking for a one-stop-shop solution,” says Mr. Levy. “You’re not just buying a device in the distant hope that it’ll work with the rest of your messaging solution. For many businesses, RIM is the only vendor they need to call.”

6. You can filter e-mail sent to the device. If you subscribe to a high-volume mailing list, for example, with any smartphone but the BlackBerry every single message from that list will wend its way to your device. That isn’t cheap. With a BlackBerry, you can prevent those messages from crossing the airwaves.

7. You can download headers only. This is a method some desktop e-mail programs have used for years over slow connections. You can configure your BlackBerry to download only message headers, and wait until asked to pull down the rest of a message. This gives you faster retrieval and uses less bandwidth.

8. Want to save even more money? BlackBerry compresses the data it does transmit. And this combined with header download and filtering can cut bandwidth usage (and roaming costs) tremendously. In a head-to-head comparison, BlackBerry roaming costs were one-tenth of those for a standard smartphone. That is not to be sneezed at.

9. A BlackBerry multitasks. It will happily run more than one app at a time. And it allows you to sync your data with a PC or Mac if you want to.

10. Its capacity expands. Unlike some other smartphones, it supports external storage such as a micro SD card, expanding its capacity by as much as 32 GB.

All this adds up to a solid, effective device. It may not be the shiniest, but it’s solid, reliable and efficient, and it saves money on bandwidth. In other words, it’s very Canadian.
    03-03-12 12:52 PM
    Loving this article. It highlights all the qualities that BlackBerry has against competition. It is hard to read an article like that these days with all RIM-bashing around.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-03-12 01:14 PM
    One of the biggest point is about data compression. A friend of mine, working for a French carrier told me this would be one of the most important points in carriers competition for the next 10 years. When dealing with Pbites ...
    03-03-12 01:48 PM
    One of the biggest point is about data compression. A friend of mine, working for a French carrier told me this would be one of the most important points in carriers competition for the next 10 years. When dealing with Pbites ...
    It wasn't that long ago that Mike L. was laughed at for warning of the bandwidth crunch coming as more and more people are using data-hungry smartphones. The standard answer was that we'll just keep adding bandwidth. And so we shall, but there will be a price tag. At the moment, most people neither know nor care about data compression, but as data rates climb and caps become more severe, they will.
    SK122387 likes this.
    03-03-12 05:46 PM
    Good Article,thanks!
    03-04-12 05:36 AM
    And that's exactly why I love Blackberry, all those reasons combined.
    known-associate likes this.
    03-04-12 06:05 AM
    I am canadian and I approve this article!
    kozmo68 likes this.
    03-04-12 06:29 AM
    RIM needs to highlight features like data compression, but until the carriers in the US stop with the unlimited data its not going to resonate with the iPhone and android junkies.
    03-04-12 07:54 AM
    RIM needs to highlight features like data compression, but until the carriers in the US stop with the unlimited data its not going to resonate with the iPhone and android junkies.

So-called "unlimited data" plans in the US are mostly not unlimited. For example, my "unlimited data" plan with T-mobile is in fact a 2GB plan, after which data speeds are throttled to 2G. Other carriers, with the possible exception of Sprint, have similar limits. Increasingly, US mobile consumers have to think about data usage.
    03-04-12 08:11 AM
    Sounds like an Advertisement from 2006.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-04-12 10:20 AM
    Sounds like an Advertisement from 2006.

Not to me or anybody else. Do you even have a blackberry?
    03-04-12 10:22 AM
    Not to me or anybody else. Do you even have a blackberry?
    I have 5 or 6 left.

03-04-12 10:25 AM
    I have 5 or 6 left.

All from 2006 no doubt
    03-04-12 12:09 PM
    All from 2006 no doubt
    I've certainly sold all my newer ones. I have these left.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-04-12 12:46 PM
    Feel free to send me that flip I've been looking for a cheap on on ebay just out of curiosity
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-04-12 12:48 PM
    Feel free to send me that flip I've been looking for a cheap on on ebay just out of curiosity
    I really like the pearl flip except that it's limited to OS4.

03-04-12 12:49 PM
    I've certainly sold all my newer ones. I have these left.

Click to view quoted image

The trackwheel! I still see those devices around! Tell me you still use them all?
    03-04-12 12:53 PM
    The trackwheel! I still see those devices around! Tell me you still use them all?
    Unfortunately no. I can't figure an easy way on AT&T to keep my iPhone and use a blackberry. I'd have to enable BIS but then the iPhone bitches about data plans. . I'd get a 9900 to mess with if I could get this to work without switching plans each time I move my sim.

03-04-12 12:56 PM
    Unfortunately no. I can't figure an easy way on AT&T to keep my iPhone and use a blackberry. I'd have to enable BIS but then the iPhone bitches about data plans. . I'd get a 9900 to mess with if I could get this to work without switching plans each time I move my sim.

That gets me guessing, you've got a MicroSIM adaptor right?
    03-04-12 01:00 PM
    That gets me guessing, you've got a MicroSIM adaptor right?
    Yes, I do.

03-04-12 01:35 PM
    I really like the pearl flip except that it's limited to OS4.

I wouldn't say limited. It's what it was at the time and it worked very well as a pure communication device(no apps). I loved my first BB, the curve 8320.

I'm still kepping an eye on a flip just to keep as backup in the car maybe.
    03-04-12 01:40 PM
    I wouldn't say limited. It's what it was at the time and it worked very well as a pure communication device(no apps). I loved my first BB, the curve 8320.

I'm still kepping an eye on a flip just to keep as backup in the car maybe.
    Technically it's 4.6 and it works well, there were so many advancements in 5 that I wish it had come to the flip, especially seeing as 5 was released about a month after I bought the flip. Grrrrr. Still a good device though.

03-04-12 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD