Listened to a podcast about this recently. What are your guesses? Here are mine:

Few superphones.
    We have super stuff now and few bother with it. How often do you see a person driving a super-fast car or carrying a Desert Eagle? There's a point at which we don't care (much) anymore, and I think that point is quickly approaching. My cousin asked for phone recommendations on facebook a few days ago and EVERY response was something along the lines of, "Get a _____. I love mine." Not one mention of power, quickness, or even apps.

Portable sized tablets a fad.
    There are plenty of portable, dedicated game devices. How often do you see someone toting one around? Sure, a tablet is great for surfing too, but worth carrying, charging, booting? Nah. That link your friend posted to a Motley Crue video or picture of her cat can wait till you get home. Business and scheduling? These work so well on our phones because we're looking at them already.

Relating to both. Notice how easily most have given up superior cameras, games, and work devices for versions that are inferior in every way except convenience and price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 08:49 PM
    Listened to a podcast about this recently. What are your guesses? Here are mine:

Few superphones.
    We have super stuff now and few bother with it. How often do you see a person driving a super-fast car or carrying a Desert Eagle? There's a point at which we don't care (much) anymore, and I think that point is quickly approaching. My cousin asked for phone recommendations on facebook a few days ago and EVERY response was something along the lines of, "Get a _____. I love mine." Not one mention of power, quickness, or even apps.

Portable sized tablets a fad.
    There are plenty of portable, dedicated game devices. How often do you see someone toting one around? Sure, a tablet is great for surfing too, but worth carrying, charging, booting? Nah. That link your friend posted to a Motley Crue video or picture of her cat can wait till you get home. Business and scheduling? These work so well on our phones because we're looking at them already.

Relating to both. Notice how easily most have given up superior cameras, games, and work devices for versions that are inferior in every way except convenience and price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You raise some interesting points. I think one reason people don't own a car capable of going 200+ MPH or a Desert Eagle or a $5000 computer comes down to cost/benefit. Everything has a certain price point at which the increased cost doesn't produce noticeable benefits. Most people have a few dedicated tasks for any given piece of equipment. As long as that equipment performs those tasks satisfactorily, why would they pay extra for something that specs better on the lab bench but costs 2,3 or 10 times more?

I will take a wait and see about tablets. I don't see any immediate use for one for myself at this point, but it was several years before I saw a need for a smartphone.

As to your last point, convenience and especially cost are major factors. The best camera in the world is of no use to me if it's too complicated to use. Again we get back to cost/benefit.
    02-20-11 09:35 PM
    It's a trade off all right. In almost every area you can think of from price to size to performance to battery life.

A bigger keyboard means a bigger device but easier typing.

A bigger screen means better viewinbg but also a bigger device and probably shoter battery life.

Likewise a faster processor is nice to have but when it runs flat out, it must deplete the battery faster.

This stuff is kind of obvious and the real fun starts when you begin to put in all sorts of new features. RFID, payment system hardware, glasses free 3D screen (easier on a phone than a TV), HD video and an HD out socket.

The list just goes on and on and it's all fun to have and most of this stuff really is useful. The trouble is, it all costs money and it also makes the phone much more complicated.

I cannot see myself carrying a phone much larger than a 9700 and I cannot see myself paying much more than my 9700 cost me off contract.

I can see me buying a pad device since these are pretty useful for showing pics to the family and watching movoies on airplanes. I see the pad having a place with consumers, Apple has proved that, but more in professional fields like hospitals and for presentations for high end pad like the PlayBook. I do not really think that the PC inductry really understands pads right now.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.
    02-20-11 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD