Are you all nuts? Have you all been eating nuts recently? BlackBerry has used up billions in BlackBerry 10! Do you think they will just simply abandoned it? It is a ******* billion dollars OS and they just abandoned it? You are sure a nut, news reporter are stupid and they don't use their brain.

These rumors are nuts and extremely pathetically stupid. BlackBerry 10 is still here with us, don't eat anymore nuts now. BlackBerry 10 is still being developed and maintained by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. BlackBerry management is nuts. They don't have a clue how to run a company other than into the ground.
    acovey likes this.
    02-02-16 06:32 AM
    Yes, because it will continue to eat up hundreds of millions of dollars a year, without producing any profit. They would be nuts to keep up that sort of folly.
    Ah. No. BB10 would cost no more than they are spending on keeping up with Android changes. And it is nuts to move to an OS that nobody makes money on.
    acovey, JulesDB and Mr4aces like this.
    02-02-16 06:33 AM
    Ah. No. BB10 would cost no more than they are spending on keeping up with Android changes. And it is nuts to move to an OS that nobody makes money on.
    Right, which is why Blackberry will probably be out of the hardware business within a year.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    02-02-16 06:54 AM
    Basic life support for BB10 (including required app updates, etc) would probably cost about the same as maintaining the Android tweaks, yes. But full blown development and evolution of BB10 is orders of magnitude more costly - and without that, it would die anyway.

How much did Google spend to develop Android L/M? How much did Apple spend to develop iOS 9? The answer is far more money than BB10 could ever dream.
    Bbnivende and Mr4aces like this.
    02-02-16 07:04 AM
    Basic life support for BB10 (including required app updates, etc) would probably cost about the same as maintaining the Android tweaks, yes. But full blown development and evolution of BB10 is orders of magnitude more costly - and without that, it would die anyway.

How much did Google spend to develop Android L/M? How much did Apple spend to develop iOS 9? The answer is far more money than BB10 could ever dream.
    Updating the Android Runtime, moving BB10 to 64Bit, adding "force touch" capabilities .... these are things that are needed for BB10 to stay "current". Along with custom hardware drivers and the miscellaneous apps they have taken on to provide themselves (Facebook, Twitter...). I'm sure they had these numbers all worked out for Chen to compare to moving to Android.....
    conite likes this.
    02-02-16 07:19 AM
    Yeah it's promising because when they cease development of BB10, they can focus on creating better software for the Priv and Android:

BlackBerry may abandon BB10 operating system and and switch to Android - The Economic Times
    02-02-16 07:29 AM
    Yes, Yes indeed. Come to think of it. The good ole Web Browser in BBOS was horrible, but back then I didn't use it for web browsing. The onset of BB10 and bigger screens did bring us a much better web browser experience. With some gains we have losses. I hope Blackberry can bring a truly refined interface to Android. I hate to see BB10 go to the side, but such is fate sometimes.
    Ooohhh...the memory of little happy things of BBOS. Even better, I remember in BBOS, it is possible to hold on a thing and then do two finger selection to select multiple things, it's just so natural. Those are some of things I miss from BBOS, obviously not the spinning clocks, low memory situation, etc, but little nuggets of UI efficiencies sprinkled throughout.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    02-02-16 07:39 AM

The framework is in place and there is no need for full blown development. They could continue development for the same cost as being an Android follower.
    02-02-16 09:50 PM
    Updating the Android Runtime, moving BB10 to 64Bit, adding "force touch" capabilities .... these are things that are needed for BB10 to stay "current". Along with custom hardware drivers and the miscellaneous apps they have taken on to provide themselves (Facebook, Twitter...). I'm sure they had these numbers all worked out for Chen to compare to moving to Android.....
    I doubt it. It looks like Chen had the plan from the start to move to Android. All those things are developed using skills that you need to be a software services company. How are they going to transition when they don't have software programmers who can do the job?
    02-02-16 09:52 PM
    Yeah it's promising because when they cease development of BB10, they can focus on creating better software for the Priv and Android:

BlackBerry may abandon BB10 operating system and and switch to Android - The Economic Times
    Only problem is that they can't do anything that Google doesn't allow them it terms of the OS.
    02-02-16 09:53 PM

Since you seem to know, why don't you post the numbers that they both spent?
    02-02-16 09:54 PM
    It wasn't BB10 that rejected, it was the lack of apps. It was all about the apps.
    Will someone tell me about these magic apps I have never used are? When I switched from 7.1 to BB10 I reduced the number of apps I used (or never used) I don't play games or need fart apps so what am I missing?
    02-02-16 10:01 PM
    How do you know that?
    Because they don't know about them.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 10:03 PM

Your joking, right?
    02-02-16 10:07 PM
    The spirit of BB10 will eventually make its way over to android.

Posted via CB10
    No I don't think so. They would need to make BB10 with spyware and progressive lag to make the Android experience real.
    02-02-16 10:17 PM
    Every time you're exposed to advertising in America, you're reminded that this countries most profitable business is still the manufacture, packaging, distribution and marketing of BS....
    High quality,grade-A, prime-cut pure American BS.
    nt300 and Jahcure like this.
    02-02-16 10:38 PM
    Well. Said.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-03-16 01:12 AM
    Every time you're exposed to advertising in America, you're reminded that this countries most profitable business is still the manufacture, packaging, distribution and marketing of BS....
    High quality,grade-A, prime-cut pure American BS.
    "Don't seek for gold, sale shovels"
    Isn't that exactly what Chen's doing (nonetheless he would grab a nugget occasionally - re: PRIV) ?
    anon(3732391) and Mr4aces like this.
    02-03-16 02:33 AM
    Will someone tell me about these magic apps I have never used are? When I switched from 7.1 to BB10 I reduced the number of apps I used (or never used) I don't play games or need fart apps so what am I missing?
    All you have to do is look at the news, blogs, critics and even now BlackBerry management. The reason that they moved to Android is because of the apps. That is still what is being said. I am just repeating that. I haven't had a problem with apps, I also write the ones I need for BB10.
    02-03-16 07:14 AM
    I think they should go back to the name "Research In Motion" so that it is clear under the RIM brand there are two major lines of products - one being the iconic but sadly dead BlackBerry devices and OS, and the other being the all android direction the company is heading towards.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 04:54 PM
    "Don't seek for gold, sale shovels"
    Isn't that exactly what Chen's doing (nonetheless he would grab a nugget occasionally - re: PRIV) ?
    Priv is still such a cringe worthy name. Venice would have been so much better. What a beautiful name it is to convey an image of a luxurious (and ridiculously expensive) phone from the prestigious BlackBerry brand.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 04:57 PM
    It wasn't BB10 that rejected, it was the lack of apps. It was all about the apps.
    I agree. I've often wondered if it was really the OS + the app gap or JUST the app gap alone. Also I wonder why the app gap was an abyss, I.e. Was RIM not paying developers enough?
    Last edited by andy957; 02-06-16 at 01:12 PM.
    02-05-16 10:29 PM
    The ordering goes or maybe all the same.
    1. Lack of apps.
    2. Early devices were not pleasing to just about everyone.
    3. Little need or demand for a third OS .
    4. BlackBerry = old business phone.
    5. BB10.1 was beta.
    6 . Shift to PKB only format.

Currently the issue is the lack of BB10 apps available to your consumer and enterprise base who will not use Snap or Cobalt and can not rely on Amazon.
    andy957 likes this.
    02-05-16 10:53 PM
    I agree. I've often wondered if it was really the OS + the app gap or JUST the app gap alone. Also I winder why the app gap was an abyss, I.e. Was RIM not paying developers enough?
    It's pretty simple: developers, like any smart business person, wants to be able to make the most money for the hours invested. Lets say that a given app "costs" 1000 man-hours to develop for each platform (many apps require orders of magnitude more hours, but still, this is a decent example). Spend 1000 hours, and you've got an Android app - Android has 83% of all mobile users. Spend another 1000 hours and you've got an iOS app - iOS is in 2nd place with 16% of all users, and this 16% of users is almost all at the top of the market; on average, far more wealthy than other platforms. So, with 2000 hours spent, you now cover 96% of the market, including almost all of the wealthiest customers.

You could spend another 1000 hours to support the 3rd-Place OS (WinPhone) to pick up another 2% of the market (mostly entry-level users who don't spend much on apps), and then another 1000 hours to support BB10 (about 1% of the market) - OR, you can invest those hours either writing a second app for the two big platforms. Which do you think would result in more revenue?

That time could also be invested in making significant improvements/expansions to the original app on the 2 big platforms, which could increase the percentage of customers, increase satisfaction, and increase retention. That would also be more valuable than adding the potential of 1 or 2% to the total market coverage.

Then there is support costs. When you release a product for a platform, there will be on-going support costs to consider, and if that platform is small, the support costs for that platform may be more expensive than the potential revenue that platform brings in, making it a money-losing venture.

The reality is that what motivates most software companies to release an app for a platform is the number and demographics of the users on that platform. BB10 never had the numbers, and the firesales of early models and the attempts at making budget models meant they didn't have the demographics either. WinPhone, despite more users, also had poor demographics as the vast majority of WinPhone sales were entry-level devices.

The management teams of these companies could simply look at the numbers and determine that investing in BB10 was a poor investment (likewise with WinPhone). Most had nothing against BB personally (though a couple of them definitely did); it was just business.

BB stood on the sidelines while iOS (2008) and then Android (2009) passed them by, and even then took another year before they even started (2010) to work on a response - a response that ultimately wouldn't be delivered for 3 more years (2013) and wasn't even really useful for a year after that (2014). In the hyper-competitive market that is mobile tech, a week is an eternity, so being 5-6 years late meant that BB had lost before it even really started. Many of us could see that, and were urging BB to adopt Android back in 2009, and even more strongly in 2010 when they announced they had bought QNX and were planning to use it as the base for a new mobile OS - which many understood would cause them to be so late to the market that it would be a huge waste of money.

But Mike and Jim couldn't be told anything - they fired anyone who ever disagreed with them and built a culture of "yes men" around them - and they brought RIM to its knees. It wasn't Chen, and it wasn't even Heins, as much as folks love to blame them here. It was Mike and Jim - mostly Mike - who is responsible for BB's situation.
    02-06-16 12:37 PM
    Yes. But the general Android consumer market is not clamouring for BB10 features, so I don't think it would be in BlackBerry's best interest to encumber Android too much with them.
    No they aren't, but if BlackBerry 10 had all the apps Android users and other consumers wanted, I think the outcome would have been different and the success of BlackBerry 10 would have been amazing. BB10 OS is so much better than any of the OS'S out there now.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 /STL100-3/ 0S10.3.2.2474
    02-06-16 12:49 PM
96 1234