BlackBerry signals it could abandon BB10 for Android after all

Sort of a refreshing news article, not new News, but it sums up whats possible in future.
    01-31-16 07:29 AM
    The spirit of BB10 will eventually make its way over to android.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-16 08:30 AM
    This just appears to be the beginning. I know for a long John Chen has been asked why he doesn't get out of the hardware business and the answer has always been the same. He wants to have a fully integrated hardware and software model in order to cross sell the many services.

I guess the long term goal would be for you to choose Blackberry for both the device, mobile management services, security and Blackberry related apps.

As a hardcore Blackberry fan and long time BB10 user I don't like what I am hearing but it's going to be the result. In the end hopefully we still have a few years of of maintenance updates. I am in the process of upgrading to a Classic from the Q10 (which is still in pristine shape) and then maybe splurge on a sexy Silver Passport. This may get me by for a few years before we worry about Android.

In the end many products and services change from a consumer perspective and sometimes they come back as "new and great"

A friend recently ordered groceries and milk online and was raving about how nice it is in 2016 to have them show up at his front door.

Being 31 years old I never experienced the old school "milk man" delivery but in 2016 I guess it's cool to get it delivered.

Ever been to a record shop recently? See how busy they are selling records and vinyl to all the hipsters?? Maybe holding a Blackberry in the future will be considered really cool again and we can all brag that we never LEFT!!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 01:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    That was actually the announced "plan" before that talked about releasing devices with Android on them. The BlackBerry Experience was going to bring a number of really cool BB10 features to Android, iOS and even Windows.... But the BlackBerry Experience seems to have gone MIA.

Maybe their focus is on Marshmallow and bringing more enterprise grade security to their version of Android.
    02-01-16 08:14 AM
    That was actually the announced "plan" before that talked about releasing devices with Android on them. The BlackBerry Experience was going to bring a number of really cool BB10 features to Android, iOS and even Windows.... But the BlackBerry Experience seems to have gone MIA.

Maybe their focus is on Marshmallow and bringing more enterprise grade security to their version of Android.
    I think the BlackBerry Experienced turned into the Priv... lol

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 12:02 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Posted via CB10
    I think that's the plan... to bring as many of the key features of bb10 over..... I am fine with that....

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 12:38 PM
    I think the BlackBerry Experienced turned into the Priv... lol

Posted via CB10
    I think it was too big of a job for them at that time.... bringing all those features to Android, iOS and Windows. It's clear they just barely had time to bring only a portion of it over to the PRIV. But then I think they also got a true idea of what the cost would have been to do this.... and I doubt they saw a way to recoup those cost.
    02-01-16 01:43 PM
    I think it was too big of a job for them at that time.... bringing all those features to Android, iOS and Windows. It's clear they just barely had time to bring only a portion of it over to the PRIV. But then I think they also got a true idea of what the cost would have been to do this.... and I doubt they saw a way to recoup those cost.
    I think they also came to the realisation that, whether we like it or not, the mass market rejected BB10, so you don't want to bring too much over to Android and have it appear as intrusive. Heaven knows we don't want a repeat of the Z10 returns fiasco.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-01-16 01:52 PM
    I'm still waiting for the "spirit" of BBOS to make it to BB10, now I guess we have to wait for it to trickle down to Android. Things like Selective Backup and Restore, Backup and Restore from Blackberry Protect. The ability to open a backup file up and restore just what you wanted was one of the things I loved about Blackberry. I also miss the ability to hold down the shift key and highlight things without picking individual checkboxes. Little things like that.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, JeepBB, acovey and 2 others like this.
    02-01-16 01:59 PM
    I agree. They don't have the resources and ability to make Android act like BB10. They would have to fork the OS to get it and then say good bye to GPS. They can only do enough and not lose the apps.
    02-01-16 02:01 PM
    I think they also came to the realisation that, whether we like it or not, the mass market rejected BB10, so you don't want to bring too much over to Android and have it appear as intrusive. Heaven knows we don't want a repeat of the Z10 returns fiasco.
    It wasn't BB10 that rejected, it was the lack of apps. It was all about the apps.
    andy957 likes this.
    02-01-16 02:01 PM
    It wasn't BB10 that rejected, it was the lack of apps. It was all about the apps.
    Yes. But the general Android consumer market is not clamouring for BB10 features, so I don't think it would be in BlackBerry's best interest to encumber Android too much with them.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-01-16 02:08 PM
    I'm still waiting for the "spirit" of BBOS to make it to BB10, now I guess we have to wait for it to trickle down to Android. Things like Selective Backup and Restore, Backup and Restore from Blackberry Protect. The ability to open a backup file up and restore just what you wanted was one of the things I loved about Blackberry. I also miss the ability to hold down the shift key and highlight things without picking individual checkboxes. Little things like that.
    Ooohhh...the memory of little happy things of BBOS. Even better, I remember in BBOS, it is possible to hold on a thing and then do two finger selection to select multiple things, it's just so natural. Those are some of things I miss from BBOS, obviously not the spinning clocks, low memory situation, etc, but little nuggets of UI efficiencies sprinkled throughout.
    acovey likes this.
    02-01-16 02:17 PM
    Yes. But the general Android consumer market is not clamouring for BB10 features, so I don't think it would be in BlackBerry's best interest to encumber Android too much with them.
    How do you know that?
    02-01-16 02:40 PM
    +1
    02-01-16 02:44 PM
    How do you know that?
    If they wanted it in the first place don't you think they would have been on bb10?
    02-01-16 02:46 PM
    How do you know that?
    Most of the Android population have never seen BB10. Why do you think they ARE clamouring for its features? How do you think introducing a steeper learning curve to potential Priv owners would be a good thing?

I say keep it simple. Stock Android with some BlackBerry sauce - but not too much. Heavy handed launchers tend to be disliked by the reviewers. BlackBerry made the right choice imo.
    02-01-16 02:53 PM
    Of course, we've heard that Blackberry was going under at least once a year since they first started.
    And although this IS most definitely the closest and most serious "Could" "Maybe" and so on.... It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

I like my Passport more than any other Blackberry I've had since my first Pearl. Never had anything BUT blackberrys.

I'm sticking with my Passport till the fat lady sings ( with three part harmony in the feelin')

ONe thing about the future... it only comes one day at a time.
    acovey likes this.
    02-02-16 12:57 AM
    Most of the Android population have never seen BB10. Why do you think they ARE clamouring for its features? How do you think introducing a steeper learning curve to potential Priv owners would be a good thing?

I say keep it simple. Stock Android with some BlackBerry sauce - but not too much. Heavy handed launchers tend to be disliked by the reviewers. BlackBerry made the right choice imo.
    I think that if the BlackBerry feature can be duplicated without bugs and the feature is better than Android...I say sure. Even Samsung has some good features. We are only talking about good stuff ...If we know what that is.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 02:05 AM

Chen's key word was "merge".
    Question is : how far ?
    02-02-16 03:21 AM
    Are you all nuts? Have you all been eating nuts recently? BlackBerry has used up billions in BlackBerry 10! Do you think they will just simply abandoned it? It is a ******* billion dollars OS and they just abandoned it? You are sure a nut, news reporter are stupid and they don't use their brain.

These rumors are nuts and extremely pathetically stupid. BlackBerry 10 is still here with us, don't eat anymore nuts now. BlackBerry 10 is still being developed and maintained by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) and J_Apryono like this.
    02-02-16 04:42 AM
    Are you all nuts? Have you all been eating nuts recently? BlackBerry has used up billions in BlackBerry 10! Do you think they will just simply abandoned it? It is a ******* billion dollars OS and they just abandoned it? You are sure a nut, news reporter are stupid and they don't use their brain.

These rumors are nuts and extremely pathetically stupid. BlackBerry 10 is still here with us, don't eat anymore nuts now. BlackBerry 10 is still being developed and maintained by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Speaking of nuts...

*ME173X
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-02-16 05:37 AM
    Are you all nuts? Have you all been eating nuts recently? BlackBerry has used up billions in BlackBerry 10! Do you think they will just simply abandoned it? It is a ******* billion dollars OS and they just abandoned it?
    Yes, because it will continue to eat up hundreds of millions of dollars a year, without producing any profit. They would be nuts to keep up that sort of folly.
    02-02-16 06:25 AM
    If they wanted it in the first place don't you think they would have been on bb10?
    Not if it was due to the lack of apps, which everyone says it is.
    02-02-16 06:27 AM

So it didn't sell because of marketing? So it wasn't about BB10 itself. Oh wait, it was about the apps.

Are are Android user clamouring for it's features or not?
    02-02-16 06:31 AM
96 123 ...