PKB!!!! For me there is no typing experience as pure as a PKB. We know blackberry has the best in the business. I know most will say they are dead but until it's official I will always have one. I love the Priv (too much undeserved hate) and the fact that I can use both a touch and physical keyboard. I still prefer the physical. I hate typing on a touch screen and making mistake after mistake. It is just something about being able to feel where your fingers are going. My hope is that we get a Priv 2 (doubt it ) or a Passport 2 running Android. I feel the passport was a phone that deserved more marketing and attention then it got truly a gamechanger. I would love to see a passport built to rival the Note from Samsung. In reality these are pipe dreams I understand. I just don't think blackberry has the finances to keep putting into high end phones. Their name is just to tainted in the industry no one outside of faithful are looking to purchase a blackberry phone. So what do you guys think what is the future of BlackBerry PKB phone offerings?

I welcome my stalker
    fanisk likes this.
    08-24-16 07:46 AM
    BlackBerry Mercury is the only rumored PKB device....

If sales are great... maybe they'll experiment with other PKB form factors. Within the limits of Android requirements for screen resolutions. Not sure what would be more in demand, a larger device or a smaller device.

If sales are just so-so, Mercury will probably be it for PKB form factor. They'll stick to a middle of the road type form factor and just keep updating it.

If sales are not enough to make hardware profitable.... Mercury might be the last traditional BlackBerry. Unless someone try's their hand at licensing the BlackBerry Brand.
    Sairos likes this.
    08-24-16 08:04 AM
    If BB decides to give up on pkbs do you think they'd sell the rights of theirs to another company?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 08:20 AM
    I'm not sure it's like in their DNA it's what they hang their hat on. Depending on the company I would have no choice but to follow and get the device. I just don't think any of blackberry hardware (phone) are going to do enough to justify spending the money for them. The future of BlackBerry is software. That's just the reality though I want a passport 2 on Android so bad.

I welcome my stalker
    08-24-16 08:28 AM
    If BB decides to give up on pkbs do you think they'd sell the rights of theirs to another company?

Posted via CB10
    I think Chen is all about licensing.

The question is,,,, Is there a big enough market for a PKB phones to make licensing and building of a phone with a BlackBerry keyboard worthwhile?

Apple was successful going back to their smaller phones. Maybe a new BOLD 9900 wold sell - or maybe not. Problem is Android isn't made for a 1x1 screen, so there really is no going back to a "traditional" BlackBerry. 2nd issue is one reason for BlackBerry's success was that their keyboards held up compared to all the other PKB devcies that were once in the market. Would the quality control of a licensed phone be that good?
    08-24-16 08:33 AM
    I feel like the PKB is almost done.
    Take the DTEK 50 for example. BlackBerry is sourcing out their phones to third party manufacturers. They didn't make that one themselves, just the software that went into it.
    The next rumoured device might be BlackBerry themselves, only because it has a PKB and there are no other companies that have designs like that.
    It is much easier for them to go to a company and pay to buy a touch screen slab device, and have them through the BlackBerry name on there.

I do hope I am wrong in all this and that they continue to make devices! While typing on a touch screen is convenient sometimes, there are times where I need a PKB and could never commit to a only touch screen device.
    fanisk likes this.
    08-24-16 08:34 AM
    I would love to see a passport built to rival the Note from Samsung. In reality these are pipe dreams I understand. I just don't think blackberry has the finances to keep putting into high end phones. Their name is just to tainted in the industry no one outside of faithful are looking to purchase a blackberry phone. So what do you guys think what is the future of BlackBerry PKB phone offerings?
    A Passport 2 with android and something like a stylus to rival the Note would be GREAT. If they hit all the right aspects, price it for something like $500.. It may attract people.. It will be a king of productivity.

Like you said of course, Dreams. Haha I don't want anyone to spoil the fun. I know the reality too damn well.
    08-24-16 08:53 AM
    A Passport 2 with android and something like a stylus to rival the Note would be GREAT. If they hit all the right aspects, price it for something like $500.. It may attract people.. It will be a king of productivity.

Like you said of course, Dreams. Haha I don't want anyone to spoil the fun. I know the reality too damn well.
    Glad I am not the only one that thinks that. Passport is a phone ahead of its time. I just loved how different and effective the design was. I want a passport 2 in the worst way on android. It could do well.

I welcome my stalker
    Sairos likes this.
    08-24-16 09:31 AM

Maybe... but there is no way they could afford to sell it for $500. And to meet Android's resolution requirements it would have to be an even more awkward design. And if you want it to rival the NOTE and have a Wacom digitizer and active stylus.... you'd be rivalling the Notes price, and then some.

So yes... dreams.
    08-24-16 11:18 AM
    Maybe... but there is no way they could afford to sell it for $500. And to meet Android's resolution requirements it would have to be an even more awkward design. And if you want it to rival the NOTE and have a Wacom digitizer and active stylus.... you'd be rivalling the Notes price, and then some.

So yes... dreams.
    If TCL is manufacturing, it can be priced at $500, if its BlackBerry then we will see a +$700 Price tag. We can safely assume there is no slide factor but there will be a stylus, which will make the production costs much less, adding on that the TCL element, I think they can get to the $500 Price range.

Xiaomi sell their Mi Note Pro (Highest variant) for around $400, Adding a stylus would raise the price to maybe $500. Its all about who is manufacturing it. They should've partnered up with Xiaomi instead of Alcatel/TCL, specially because Xiaomi doesn't sell in the US & Europe right now. It would've made sense. There would be no Idol 4 to consider Vs the DTEK50. Xiaomi can make phones with impressive specs for insanely low prices. Just check their Redmi note 3.

Anyway It won't happen and this why I emphasized on the on the dreams part.
    08-24-16 11:29 AM
    New Keyboard on mine, livin' the dream

I always have to switch back to this after using the iphone due mostly to the frustration of typing on glass with a 4-inch apple. (yes I use many apps on it quickly and successfully)

You don't want the PKB too big or too small, that also makes a huge difference when the reach is too far, it can really slow you down. Same for cramped, etc.

The PKB is basically Blackberry's trademark, and they said they will always have one around, so we will see.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails The future of BlackBerry PKB-tapaupload0.jpg  
    Sairos likes this.
    08-24-16 01:12 PM
    New Keyboard on mine, livin' the dream

I always have to switch back to this after using the iphone due mostly to the frustration of typing on glass with a 4-inch apple. (yes I use many apps on it quickly and successfully)

You don't want the PKB too big or too small, that also makes a huge difference when the reach is too far, it can really slow you down. Same for cramped, etc.

The PKB is basically Blackberry's trademark, and they said they will always have one around, so we will see.

That's a great mix of white & Black, Well done!..
    08-24-16 02:03 PM
    That's a great mix of white & Black, Well done!..
    haha thnx yo. I even ordered the bottom plate under the KB in white to match.

08-24-16 03:23 PM