The toolbelt/trackpad makes a BlackBerry look old? I didn't know that precision feature particularly contributed to BlackBerry's fall in market share. I guess the beltless Q10 was a smashing success, then.

</s>

Posted via CB10
    So was the Z10 and Z30...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-11-15 09:54 AM
    Fortunately I can't think of a time when BlackBerry's ever had a home button. I'm not saying that you are, but if you by chance are referring to the little black nub, that's actually the trackpad for fine cursor control. If the slider has a capacitive keyboard, it likely won't have a trackpad.
    No I was poking fun at the Droid and crapple phones.

Home button? We don't need no stinking home button!
    03-11-15 10:08 AM
    Ah, yes, your comparison is a great one. I love driving standard, and REAL manual, not this fake manual paddle shift nonsense... (Not all of them, sports cars like Ferrari's have REAL manual dual-clutch gearboxes using the paddle shift, and the shifting is really manual. All of these wannabes you see like in cars like Mitsubishi Lancers and whatever only give you the perception that you have control. Try downshifting when you're going too fast, it'll override you. Try red-lining, it'll shift up for you, that's what I mean by the fake manual paddle shifts...)
    LOL yes. I meant the real stick-next-to-the-seat-mechanically-connected-to-the-gear-box manual... although I guess the synchros may make it a bit less manual.
    03-11-15 10:41 AM
    Thing is, they haven't been replaced yet and everyone still buys them. I think a more accurate analogy would be cars with cassette slots on their stereos. They're old, absolutely not from today, and very few individuals want them.
    I think the point is that steering wheels do what they're supposed to do very well, better than any alternative that has been presented yet (why not just a lever rather than a "wheel"? The thing about steering wheels is if you get it wrong PEOPLE DIE, but with touchscreens on mobile phones, most people don't care (while others may feel like smashing their device to bits...) yes, I know SOME people actually think touchscreens are BETTER for text editing, no wait, I can't imaging they actually thin that, but rather that don't mind sacrificing efficiency in text editing for all the other benefits of having a touchscreen device like being able to pinch-to-zoom on hot instagram pics

As a steering wheel is to controlling a vehicle, the trackpad is to controlling placement of the insertion point when editing text.

(the rest of this is not a direct reply to the above... just my trackpad rant of the day.)

Let me put it this way:

If a touchscreen was better for insertion point placement, WHY IS IT THAT EVERY MOBILE OS DOES IT DIFFERENTLY? I mean if it was "better", then there would be one "right" way to do it... but each OS design team has their OWN idea of what "better" is for precise insertion point placement, and since they can't all be "the best" NONE OF THEM ARE... oh because they're patented? So which SINGLE WAY is the best, and which other OSes are making terrible compromises to skirt patent laws? ALL OF THEM. Except BlackBerry, because they have devices with trackpads.

If you don't care about text formatting, or grammar, or legibility, or you only ever compose text that is 140 characters or less, then I'm sure you can do without a trackpad... but if you're like me and you WANT to compose long documents on-the-go i.e. I want to get things done not wait 'til I'm back at the office on a "real keyboard", then the logical accessory for composing long documents is one that provides the ability to recompose the document by copying and pasting whole paragraphs or even just parts of a sentence efficiently.

Has this happened to you on a touchscreen device?

Type some text, say, a few hundred words.
    Decide you want to delete parts or notice an unfinished thought in the middle of a paragraph.
    Touch the screen to place the insertion point. Imagine your surprise if you get it right the first time, but if you don't then you (on iOS) touch and hold until a "magnified" version of where you want to REALLY put it appears and you drag the insertion point around until you get it in the right place. Then you've got the start but then you need to select a range. So you press and hold again but oops it didn't take, it just repositioned the start insertion point, but ok, NOW you've got a word selected, now let's try to grab that Start point oops the entire text box just scrolled all the way to the top and selected everything above the insertion point, ok lets try to drag the insertion point back into view oops I deselected everything again. Ok, try all that again. Good, got my text selected, now press and hold to show the "Copy / Cut / Paste" popup. Oops, no popup, just deselected my text again.

If you say this doesn't happen to you more often than you would like (isn't ONCE one time too often?), I'm not sure if I believe you even if you swear on a stack of Victoria Secret catalogues (or whatever other book is holy to you).

I think trackpad haters should record a video of themselves composing text on a touchscreen and show us how it's done.

Here's your challenge. Make a video of your screen while you type the first page of "A Tale of Two Cities" into an email message, but make sure you get it perfect in terms of paragraph breaks and punctuation. Or go ahead and find a public domain rendition and just copy / paste it... but JUST THE TEXT THAT APPEARS ON THE FIRST PAGE of this Project Gutenberg edition:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/98/old/2city12p.pdf

What's wrong, McFly? You chicken?

So, STOP with the insults to the trackpad and trackpad advocates... yes go ahead and cram the subtle ones that are meant to be "constructive criticism" because I'm pretty sick of it myself, and I know I speak for others, too.

...and before you get all "How DARE you insult my touchscreen proficiency!" this is meant to be comical in an "it's funny because it's true" kind-of-way... it may not be comical to you if you have a pathological hate on for the Trackpad... I don't have a hate on for full touch keyboardless devices (I think I own 12 or so at last count, 5 of which are made by BlackBerry Ltd.) so all I ask is that if you think the trackpad isn't your cup of tea, spare me the reasons why BlackBerry should totally never release a device with a trackpad and I'll spare you the counterpoints.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-13-15 at 09:08 PM.
    03-13-15 08:35 PM
    The Track Pas and Tool Belt are reserved for the Classic ONLY. You will not find them on any other BB10 based device.

Posted via CB10
    filanto likes this.
    03-13-15 11:44 PM
    I think the point is that steering wheels do what they're supposed to do very well, better than any alternative that has been presented yet (why not just a lever rather than a "wheel"? The thing about steering wheels is if you get it wrong PEOPLE DIE, but with touchscreens on mobile phones, most people don't care (while others may feel like smashing their device to bits...) yes, I know SOME people actually think touchscreens are BETTER for text editing, no wait, I can't imaging they actually thin that, but rather that don't mind sacrificing efficiency in text editing for all the other benefits of having a touchscreen device like being able to pinch-to-zoom on hot instagram pics

As a steering wheel is to controlling a vehicle, the trackpad is to controlling placement of the insertion point when editing text.

(the rest of this is not a direct reply to the above... just my trackpad rant of the day.)

Let me put it this way:

If a touchscreen was better for insertion point placement, WHY IS IT THAT EVERY MOBILE OS DOES IT DIFFERENTLY? I mean if it was "better", then there would be one "right" way to do it... but each OS design team has their OWN idea of what "better" is for precise insertion point placement, and since they can't all be "the best" NONE OF THEM ARE... oh because they're patented? So which SINGLE WAY is the best, and which other OSes are making terrible compromises to skirt patent laws? ALL OF THEM. Except BlackBerry, because they have devices with trackpads.

If you don't care about text formatting, or grammar, or legibility, or you only ever compose text that is 140 characters or less, then I'm sure you can do without a trackpad... but if you're like me and you WANT to compose long documents on-the-go i.e. I want to get things done not wait 'til I'm back at the office on a "real keyboard", then the logical accessory for composing long documents is one that provides the ability to recompose the document by copying and pasting whole paragraphs or even just parts of a sentence efficiently.

Has this happened to you on a touchscreen device?

Type some text, say, a few hundred words.
    Decide you want to delete parts or notice an unfinished thought in the middle of a paragraph.
    Touch the screen to place the insertion point. Imagine your surprise if you get it right the first time, but if you don't then you (on iOS) touch and hold until a "magnified" version of where you want to REALLY put it appears and you drag the insertion point around until you get it in the right place. Then you've got the start but then you need to select a range. So you press and hold again but oops it didn't take, it just repositioned the start insertion point, but ok, NOW you've got a word selected, now let's try to grab that Start point oops the entire text box just scrolled all the way to the top and selected everything above the insertion point, ok lets try to drag the insertion point back into view oops I deselected everything again. Ok, try all that again. Good, got my text selected, now press and hold to show the "Copy / Cut / Paste" popup. Oops, no popup, just deselected my text again.

If you say this doesn't happen to you more often than you would like (isn't ONCE one time too often?), I'm not sure if I believe you even if you swear on a stack of Victoria Secret catalogues (or whatever other book is holy to you).

I think trackpad haters should record a video of themselves composing text on a touchscreen and show us how it's done.

Here's your challenge. Make a video of your screen while you type the first page of "A Tale of Two Cities" into an email message, but make sure you get it perfect in terms of paragraph breaks and punctuation. Or go ahead and find a public domain rendition and just copy / paste it... but JUST THE TEXT THAT APPEARS ON THE FIRST PAGE of this Project Gutenberg edition:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/98/old/2city12p.pdf

What's wrong, McFly? You chicken?

So, STOP with the insults to the trackpad and trackpad advocates... yes go ahead and cram the subtle ones that are meant to be "constructive criticism" because I'm pretty sick of it myself, and I know I speak for others, too.

...and before you get all "How DARE you insult my touchscreen proficiency!" this is meant to be comical in an "it's funny because it's true" kind-of-way... it may not be comical to you if you have a pathological hate on for the Trackpad... I don't have a hate on for full touch keyboardless devices (I think I own 12 or so at last count, 5 of which are made by BlackBerry Ltd.) so all I ask is that if you think the trackpad isn't your cup of tea, spare me the reasons why BlackBerry should totally never release a device with a trackpad and I'll spare you the counterpoints.
    People don't care, easy as that. That's also why I'm against the slider.

Further fragmentating your userbase and making niches for your already niche market, also.

Ah.. CrackBerry and it's productivity diehards. If only you knew you are next to nothing in terms of sales.

You know the top dogs carry other platforms, right? They don't seem to be complaining about how "less productive" they are on a touchscreen. Doesn't that tell you anything? Anything but "they are part of the brainwashed herd", of course.

I'll just sit here and watch as the userbase shrinks.
    03-14-15 12:47 PM
    All you clowns on here arguing like you actually know something about this or that. You realize you're arguing who's basically tallest midget...

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 02:11 PM
    All you clowns on here arguing like you actually know something about this or that. You realize you're arguing who's basically tallest midget...

Posted via CB10
    The old Bob's Circus had the tallest midget if I remember
    03-14-15 04:48 PM
    I use my phone for business and there tends to be more typing then touching. PKB makes sense when you have to type lots and that's just how it is. It may not be sexy or popular but business people are a pretty pragmatic group and a slider seems pretty tempting.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 01:32 PM
    I used to think the Slider may not have been a good idea. But of you think about it, it's a device that has the potential to put BlackBerry's image back into the news media and into people's minds.
    Serve Full Touch and Physical keyboard lovers. In one device. This device can also be quite innovative. There's room for that.

But all that said, there should have been a Z30 and/or a Z10 direct replacement with worthy specs to represent 2014/15.

By this Summer I hope we get a Z50 or something, because many Android Users that want to give BB10 a try are banking on such full touch device. They are waiting, but for how long?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 05:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    You should really stop using that saying. It is offensive to some people.

Posted via CB10

Edit: Spelling
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-18-15 08:57 AM
    You should really stop using that saying. It is offensive to some people.

Posted via CB10

Edit: Spelling
    yeah..... I'm sure the politically correct term is " funny people"

03-18-15 09:17 AM
    People don't care, easy as that. That's also why I'm against the slider.

Further fragmentating your userbase and making niches for your already niche market, also.

Ah.. CrackBerry and it's productivity diehards. If only you knew you are next to nothing in terms of sales.

You know the top dogs carry other platforms, right? They don't seem to be complaining about how "less productive" they are on a touchscreen. Doesn't that tell you anything? Anything but "they are part of the brainwashed herd", of course.

I'll just sit here and watch as the userbase shrinks.
    Eric Schmidt carriers a Moto Razr HD. And a BlackBerry Bold.
    03-18-15 09:21 AM
    DILLIGAF??

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 01:46 PM
39 12