Just curious. We all know what happened with NOKIA: they built the numbers up until 9xxx (IIRC 9100 was that big brick that could kill a dog) and they basically ran out of numbers. With 9900 already taken, RIM can possibly dish out 9910 to 9999, at which point they need to either recycle the numbers or think about new naming scheme

What do you think would happen with BlackBerry smartphones?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-12 08:55 AM
    I've wondered the same thing myself... I would assume they would move away from the numerical labeling of their devices. Makes sense with me to make the change with the entire new line of devices... But who knows...
    01-27-12 10:03 AM
    Truth be told, I can't help but compare RIM to NOKIA. Both uses 4 digit numbers as their product names, and both faced their peak around number 9xxx, and then things started to go downhill from there

I can't help but think that future BlackBerry smartphones will go with names like BlackBerry B25 (Bold) or BlackBerry C60 (Curve)

Kinda lame, actually

01-27-12 10:38 AM
    I like the numeric designation for the devices, but I think most folks don't really pay much attention to the numeric models, they like names, like Evo, and Galaxy, stuff like that... It'll be interesting to see what they choose to do...
    01-27-12 11:34 AM
    I like the numeric designation for the devices, but I think most folks don't really pay much attention to the numeric models, they like names, like Evo, and Galaxy, stuff like that... It'll be interesting to see what they choose to do...
    I think they should get rid of the numbers. I also like the number & am oroud to say things like 9700, 9780, & (my fav) 9900. HOWEVER when I say that, most people just look at me with this strange confused look on their face

As a result, I think they should get come up with entirely new names (I LOVE BOLD) but maybe it's time to come up with something new so people know it's BBX.

iPhone 4
    Galaxy II
    ect, ect.

Simple names for simple people
    01-27-12 02:16 PM
    although i like the numbering with the names, i don't think its good for marketing. RIM should stick to just device names(Bold, Torch, etc).
    01-27-12 06:49 PM
    I'd rather have the numbers too, but when you think about it, it makes sense that people like the common names more. BlackBerry Gemini came with 8520 and 8530 models, both of which are pretty much the same thing on different network. People would rather call them Gemini, because it covers both of 'em and causes less confusion (people may think that 8520 & 8530 are different)

I think RIM would switch to common names for BBX. After all, they have already got common names as codename (Onyx, Storm, Gemini, Dakota)

Although I still prefer "BlackBerry Bold 9700" than "BlackBerry Onyx". Somehow the numbers distinct BlackBerry devices from other smartphones

01-28-12 03:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD