I admit that I don't own a BB but I'm waiting for the Essex to release and then I will be the proud parent of one. But with the Android(s) and Iphones success, I sometimes fear that BB will go the way of the Dodo (shudder). I sure hope not, the more I'm on this sight the more I can't wait.
    Any thoughts?
    11-30-09 08:54 PM
    Several recent threads about this....
    11-30-09 08:56 PM
    Personally I would say iPhones and Blackberrys are very much a user specific preference, therefore in safe niches of the market.

BB will be around for a long time yet, in fact if anything its becoming more popular.
    12-01-09 05:49 AM
    BB caters to a particular segment of the mobile users and has created a niche for themselves and so IMO RIM going to be a DODO is not a possibility at all. Infact in the near future RIM is poised to outgrow Iphone or for that matter WinMo or Symbian Platform.The real competition would come from the Android platform.
    12-01-09 08:53 AM
    RIM still ownes the lions share of the smartphone market. They aren't going anywhere any time soon...
    12-01-09 09:12 AM
    Oh yeah, this was discussed in 40 other threads this pass week, and about 80 more in other sections of the forum. hmmm...
    12-01-09 09:20 AM
    These forums are full of redundant threads. This isn't the first and definitely won't be the last. People don't search or read...
    12-01-09 09:44 AM
    stop being so paranoid. BB will be around for a while.
    12-01-09 10:42 AM
    Compared to apple and microsoft rim is a young company, and yes like all companies now is having cashflow issues. However will android and iphoney dominate the market to the point where blackberry becomes obsolete and undesirable. Imo no. If not for the business angle alone rim is here to stay.
    12-01-09 10:52 AM
    I wonder what AT&T/iPhone users in NYC would say about this thread........

Coverage is known to be bad there. But in reality, I think the iPhone, at least currently, is more of a gaming/app intensive device, whereas the BB is much more of a business device.

In that respect, they both can succeed without cannibalizing each other.

It's the other potential future devices that could step in against either the iPhone and BB that RIM and Apple likely have to worry about. IMHO.
    12-01-09 11:43 AM
    I wonder what AT&T/iPhone users in NYC would say about this thread........

Coverage is known to be bad there. But in reality, I think the iPhone, at least currently, is more of a gaming/app intensive device, whereas the BB is much more of a business device.

In that respect, they both can succeed without cannibalizing each other.

It's the other potential future devices that could step in against either the iPhone and BB that RIM and Apple likely have to worry about. IMHO.
    Agreed
    10 char
    12-01-09 11:48 AM
    RIM still ownes the lions share of the smartphone market.
    Not even close to being correct. As of Q2 2009, Symbian devices accounted
    for 50.3% of smartphone market share (with Nokia leading the way.) RIM
    accounted for 20.9%

In the North America RIM does well. In the rest of the world, not so much.

Also let's take a look at customer satisfaction ratings for the same relative period:

So yes, while RIM is the leader in smartphone sales in the US, their customers are far less
    "very satisfied" with their device than their iPhone counterparts.
    That should worry RIM a great deal.
    12-01-09 11:58 AM
    I love berrys and i hope they will keep being improved on. If RIM wants to be a significant player in the consumer market, they really need to step it up. They are found to be in catch up mode which will cost them a lot in R&D.
    These devices just work, they might be simple but i really like how reliable these things are. I keep switching to a new one every month or so cuz i want to try them all.
    12-01-09 02:59 PM
    Not even close to being correct. As of Q2 2009, Symbian devices accounted
    for 50.3% of smartphone market share (with Nokia leading the way.) RIM
    accounted for 20.9%

In the North America RIM does well. In the rest of the world, not so much.

Also let's take a look at customer satisfaction ratings for the same relative period:

So yes, while RIM is the leader in smartphone sales in the US, their customers are far less
    "very satisfied" with their device than their iPhone counterparts.
    That should worry RIM a great deal.
    Very nice indeed! However, I don't think that the iPhone user satisfaction rating should carry as much weight is it looks to. I've noticed that in my dealings with people shopping for smartphones, they had no idea that the iPhone can't do multitasking like a BB or Android device can do. IMO, the majority of people who purchase the iPhone do so with the intention of using it more as a multimedia device (videos, music, pretty apps, web browsing) and less of a messaging device, so they are highly satisfied with the multimedia aspect of the phone, and have no idea that other phones can offer the multitasking abaility that their iPhone lacks. I think that the when the folks that purchase a BB thinking that it'll be a great multimedia device compare it to an iPhone, they become greatly disapointed, as the iPhone is vastly superior in that area, and they become less satisfied with their choice of a BlackBerry as a whole... but I could just be talking out of my ***...
    12-01-09 02:59 PM
    I would be inclined to agree fully.
    Most people I know with iPhones also rave about the media side of thing. I have said for a long time now that I dont think its accurate to compare an iPhone and a Blackberry. They are too different. I also think that "smart" phone has just become a common phrase that is over used and too diverse these days.

I do think that Android is the challenger if anything, until of course Apple bring out the 4th Gen with the rumoured slide out keyboard.

Either way, I dont think RIM has too much to worry about. Infact I would say the worst thing that could happen is RIM try too hard to emulate the iPhone and make them too similar. That would be tragic.

Very nice indeed! However, I don't think that the iPhone user satisfaction rating should carry as much weight is it looks to. I've noticed that in my dealings with people shopping for smartphones, they had no idea that the iPhone can't do multitasking like a BB or Android device can do. IMO, the majority of people who purchase the iPhone do so with the intention of using it more as a multimedia device (videos, music, pretty apps, web browsing) and less of a messaging device, so they are highly satisfied with the multimedia aspect of the phone, and have no idea that other phones can offer the multitasking abaility that their iPhone lacks. I think that the when the folks that purchase a BB thinking that it'll be a great multimedia device compare it to an iPhone, they become greatly disapointed, as the iPhone is vastly superior in that area, and they become less satisfied with their choice of a BlackBerry as a whole... but I could just be talking out of my ***...
    12-01-09 04:44 PM
    I don't think that BBs are going anywhere soon. RIM isn't the most innovative manufacturer, but they make damn good products and they are reliable. Also, thery have a huge following. If they continue to follow the crowd with features and hardware upgrades, they will be ok.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD