Just look at Windows Defenders latest ratings... I don't know how MS brought AI/ML to Defender - rewrite or bolt-on. Either way its a very good solution for individuals. https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/ or at the least not the joke it once was.

I see no reason for Cylance to even bother with the consumer Windows or Android markets... other than they make the product they might as well try to monetize it any way they can.

But Cylance changed in 2018.... IT market recognized that, and I think that was a turning point for them. The went from almost 300% growth in 2017 to only 90% in 2018. Chen's put this year's YoY sales increases for Cylance at 30%... with a market that growing faster than that, they are falling behind.

I really can't talk to the quality gap between products... I'm just looking at how the business market seems to be reacting. They seem to prefer one stop shops that can offer a wider selection of products under one roof... at one low price.

Truth is the best product doesn't always win... there is a lot more to selling products.
    I understand your perspective. This is a case where I don't really care about the business stuff. My clients are not looking to simplify their cyber purchasing. They are looking to reduce the frequency of incidents, and I have only heard very, very positive things about Cylance in that context (easy to deploy and support, and it stops things that other solutions don't).

But, I totally agree that Windows Defender has improved steadily. I don't use any additional AV on my personal Windows workstations. (though I also have them seriously locked down with external firewall devices and I segregate all my email and Web browsing on VMs).

I am not trying to pump up BlackBerry's prospects, as I don't care how their shares perform. I just get tired of silly statements about how their software isn't appealing by people who think all software consists of mobile apps.

I will say that most experts I speak to consider Windows Defender a decent solution for known threats, but that it often gives false negatives (a clean bill of health for an infected device). They consider it completely ineffective for the sophisticated attacks they defend against daily, especially since tensions with Iran, North Korea, Russia and China have heated up.

Pretty much any company in the designated critical infrastructure sectors (https://www.cisa.gov/critical-infrastructure-sectors) needs a lot more protection than what Microsoft can offer for endpoints.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    02-19-20 11:15 AM
    Relevant to this conversation:

https://www.sentinelone.com/press/se...200m-series-e/

If I were at BB these are the competitors that are coming up fast.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-19-20 at 04:35 PM.
    02-19-20 01:51 PM
    Getting a little thick in here, let's tone it down a bit.
    07-01-20 10:52 PM
    Relevant to this conversation:

https://www.sentinelone.com/press/se...200m-series-e/

If I were at BB these are the competitors that are coming up fast.
    And with Cylance standing still (based on the ER)... passing them.

BlackBerry just can't get any traction.... and with them still cutting cost (like R&D) I don't see them being able to compete with startups that have plenty of investment funding or with the bigger players that have cash to spend on up and coming technologies.

SPARK (everything in one package) sound like a great product... but in the end, customers have to know about it, they have to value it over your competition...

As for phones.... nothing was said about them during the last shareholder "presentation" or earnings call. Think they are part of the past.
    07-02-20 08:46 AM
    As for phones.... nothing was said about them during the last shareholder "presentation" or earnings call. Think they are part of the past.
    Hopefully somebody else steps in to fill the void at some point... By which I mean some startup offering a "BlackBerry-like" product, not another random company licensing the rights to the "Blackberry" brand.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    07-02-20 10:38 AM
    Hopefully somebody else steps in to fill the void at some point... By which I mean some startup offering a "BlackBerry-like" product, not another random company licensing the rights to the "Blackberry" brand.
    I believe that company is Unihertz at this point.
    07-02-20 10:50 AM
    The problem with that is that anyone looking at the market doesn't see a void. Sales of PKB phones are almost non-existent (anything under 100,000 units sold per year is the same as zero to any company you'd want to buy from), security doesn't sell phones (companies use MDM/UEM software to secure iOS and Android, and are happy with that solution), and BB makes the Hub and some other apps available for Android, so where is the void? And, I mean this from a smartphone manufacturer's point of view.

The answer, of course, is that there isn't one. PKB phones are now the realm of Kickstarter projects, and everything else is already being done better and cheaper by someone else. That's why BB left the business to focus on other things.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-02-20 10:52 AM
    If you mean another kickstarter.... I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else offer a vertical PKB phone beside Unihertz. But as with Unihertz, there will be reasons that many won't go that route, and sales won't go beyond 5K - 10K units.

Nokia is one that might give it a try... but I wouldn't count on it happening.
    07-02-20 11:02 AM
    If you mean another kickstarter.... I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else offer a vertical PKB phone beside Unihertz. But as with Unihertz, there will be reasons that many won't go that route, and sales won't go beyond 5K - 10K units.
    Due to privacy concerns, I don't use anything by Google if I can avoid it... That includes Google's Android.

I know it's probably a "pipe dream", but I'd love to see someone do a non-Android version of something like the Unihertz... Maybe using one of the many Open Source mobile device operating systems currently being worked on (postmarketOS, UBPorts, etc).

Even better - and probably less likely for various reasons - would be to see someone make alternative firmware for "BlackBerry" smartphones ("classic" or BlackBerry 10, it wouldn't matter)... But there's a long list of reasons why that probably wouldn't happen.

Nokia is one that might give it a try... but I wouldn't count on it happening.
    So much wasted potential over at HMD Global (who manufacturers "Nokia" cell phones these days)... Nokia have a ridiculously big portfolio of previous mobile devices that could quite easily be adapted for a modern environment with minimal effort, yet HMD Global have done nothing of the sort.

The "Communicator" range of Nokia smartphones is the most obvious example here of course, but there are other product types that could have varying levels of success, if updated for a modern environment and marketed correctly...

--

Just a thought - I wonder if there's been any work to get (the Open Source version of) webOS or one of the many Open Source mobile device operating systems currently being worked on (postmarketOS, UBPorts, etc) running on former Palm prē / Palm Pixi series devices?

They had keyboards, and it would surely be a lot easier to make these work with a modern operating system... Might have to look into that.
    Last edited by gregory_opera; 07-02-20 at 07:53 PM.
    07-02-20 07:30 PM
    Due to privacy concerns, I don't use anything by Google if I can avoid it... That includes Google's Android.

I know it's probably a "pipe dream", but I'd love to see someone do a non-Android version of something like the Unihertz... Maybe using one of the many Open Source mobile device operating systems currently being worked on (postmarketOS, UBPorts, etc).

Even better - and probably less likely for various reasons - would be to see someone make alternative firmware for "BlackBerry" smartphones ("classic" or BlackBerry 10, it wouldn't matter)... But there's a long list of reasons why that probably wouldn't happen.

So much wasted potential over at HMD Global (who manufacturers "Nokia" cell phones these days)... Nokia have a ridiculously big portfolio of previous mobile devices that could quite easily be adapted for a modern environment with minimal effort, yet HMD Global have done nothing of the sort.

The "Communicator" range of Nokia smartphones is the most obvious example here of course, but there are other product types that could have varying levels of success, if updated for a modern environment and marketed correctly...

--

Just a thought - I wonder if there's been any work to get (the Open Source version of) webOS or one of the many Open Source mobile device operating systems currently being worked on (postmarketOS, UBPorts, etc) running on former Palm prē / Palm Pixi series devices?

They had keyboards, and it would surely be a lot easier to make these work with a modern operating system... Might have to look into that.
    I’m sure if the profits were there, someone would do it.
    07-02-20 08:07 PM
185 ... 678