Dear all,

i was casually questioning myself whether or not BB OS will have a future, now that BBX is on the line and more than surely not coming to current BBerries. Therefore, what's left for our beloved phones - and i'm speaking for the lot of us who aren't planning on moving onto BBX - such as 9900 that i recently purchased? Is 7 the last of the OS series, or is there any chance we'll be blessed with an OS 8? OS 7 is great, i simply don't want it to be the last one...

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    02-20-12 11:54 AM
    At this point we dont know if there will be anything past 7.1. No information has leaked or been speculated really.
    02-20-12 11:56 AM
    I hope they update us '7' users after the release of the BB10's.

Either way I guess if RiM does or doesn't, most of us will upgrade to BB10's.

Only the Bold formed one for me though.
    02-20-12 12:14 PM
    BlackBerry has said that they will support OS7 for a few years yet. The reason for that is that they plan on selling it on cheaper phones in emerging markets.

They havent mentioned updates, but I expect that there will be a 7.2 and maybe a 7.3, Though I doubt there will be a OS8 though as their primary focus is on BBX as their future.
    02-20-12 12:19 PM
    BlackBerry has said that they will support OS7 for a few years yet. The reason for that is that they plan on selling it on cheaper phones in emerging markets.

They havent mentioned updates, but I expect that there will be a 7.2 and maybe a 7.3, Though I doubt there will be a OS8 though as their primary focus is on BBX as their future.
    My guess is that "support" means minor updates with bug fixes, but no new features or functionality. I wouldn't expect 7.2 or beyond. It takes resources to add new features and functionality to an OS, and I'd expect them to be putting all resources into BB10, leaving just a few people to deal with the occasional updates needed for BBOS.
    02-20-12 01:15 PM
    I also had heard that BBOS was going to stay in the lineup of their "value" line of phones. And BB10 was going to be for the "premium" devices. I hope that they go ahead and release all new device with BB10, and drop BBOS for new device by the 2nd quarter of next year...

But we will just have to wait and see what they do, but with them only having one or possibly two devices by the end of this year. I would expect that BBOS will be fully supported with BBOS upgrades as needed for the next couple of years. Of course, that doesn't mean that you will see much 3rd party developer support for it.
    02-20-12 01:16 PM
    I hope for an os8 rather than 7.2,7.3, and on and on.
    Its th same place that apple fans are at. What will ios 6 have? What's going to be new on an ip5? We all just have to wait. Enjoy what you have now. 1 thing is for certaiin the day BB10 releases our os7 devices aren't going to stop working.
    02-20-12 01:17 PM
    BBOS will be kept on as low end options, BB10 will be high end, as explained by Stephen Bates, RIM UK MD at BBM Music party in London.
    02-20-12 01:22 PM
    Thanks to you all.
    02-20-12 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD