I think the market has already told us.
    Not really
    All the PKB devices until now didn't really have a software the market wanted
    The Priv didn't really have the best PKB
    The mercury on the other hand will have a proper BlackBerry PKB with a software the market is willing to use.
    So should tell us
    But given the news going around regarding BlackBerry not making phones anymore and seeing BlackBerry's past marketing, I doubt how much will it really sell

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-29-16 08:33 PM
    I guess we will have to wait for the mercury to tell us that (if it does release)
    We already have that answer.

In a reality where Chen is publicly speculating whether it is worth BB's time and money bringing the Mercury to market, even BB know there isn't a market of sufficient size to make money out of a PKB phone.

You've already seen the last PKB BB phone - it was the Priv. It didn't sell either.
    09-29-16 11:51 PM
    We already have that answer.

In a reality where Chen is publicly speculating whether it is worth BB's time and money bringing the Mercury to market, even BB know there isn't a market of sufficient size to make money out of a PKB phone.

You've already seen the last PKB BB phone - it was the Priv. It didn't sell either.
    John Chen is debating so not because of the device itself but because of the Company's new stand on Hardware as a whole.
    Frankly while Priv had a PKB, but doesn't quite qualify as a proper because it was a slide out one and moreover the keys were very small compared to what people actually expect from a BlackBerry PKB. the Mercury will have a keyboard more like the Classic which is what people expect and many will feel right at home with it
    09-30-16 01:16 AM
    I think the market has already told us.
    And Chen has underlined that market wisdom.

According to Chen, the Mercury exists already within BB. So the hard work of "design" must be complete. All BB have to do now is build a million of them, and watch the profits roll in... but instead, they are considering whether to do so. That speaks loudly as to the likely profitability of a PKB phone in today's market.

I'll just add that if BB doubt it can be done, nobody else will be able to build it profitably either - they'd have to add BB's licencing fee to their costs.
    09-30-16 01:33 AM
    BlackBerry phones will STILL be around. They're licensing their name and Chen said physical keyboard BlackBerry phones will still be around. So let's not get too depressed here! The alternative outcome would've been BlackBerry done with devices altogether and not license their name.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 02:33 AM
    With the next CEO. Maybe.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 03:42 AM
    Yes, blackberry phones will still b around 2 years from now.
    But on a totally different modality.
    They wud release their custom Android roms & the user wud need to flash it on their list of supported devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by blackmass; 09-30-16 at 09:12 AM.
    09-30-16 03:48 AM
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but what do you guys think the value of a " Pure BlackBerry " will be once BlackBerry Corp stops making their own phones?
    09-30-16 09:04 AM
    As a follow up question, do you think that a " Pure BlackBerry " will be in big demand because of the phones themselves?
    09-30-16 09:07 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, the last "Pure BlackBerry" was the LEAP wasn't it?
    09-30-16 09:09 AM
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but what do you guys think the value of a " Pure BlackBerry " will be once BlackBerry Corp stops making their own phones?
    Sadly, I'm affraid it will not be big enough
    09-30-16 09:12 AM
    Your probably right! I've got 3 BlackBerry Phones (Leap, Z30 & Z10), don't know if I want to keep them or sell them based on Chens statements.
    09-30-16 10:12 AM
    Your probably right! I've got 3 BlackBerry Phones (Leap, Z30 & Z10), don't know if I want to keep them or sell them based on Chens statements.
    Nothing Chen said has any impact on bb10.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-30-16 10:19 AM
    I think the fact that he hasn't said anything about BB10 and that he is shutting down hardware... has had an impact on some of those that were holding out hopes for new BB10 Runtime or even new BB10 phones... reality has set in.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-30-16 11:00 AM
    Conite just said that BB10 is fine!
    Champagne all around!
    Woo Hoo!
    StephanieMaks, conite and JeepBB like this.
    09-30-16 11:59 AM
    Not really
    All the PKB devices until now didn't really have a software the market wanted
    The Priv didn't really have the best PKB
    The mercury on the other hand will have a proper BlackBerry PKB with a software the market is willing to use.
    So should tell us
    But given the news going around regarding BlackBerry not making phones anymore and seeing BlackBerry's past marketing, I doubt how much will it really sell

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    So you have a built in excuse? They would sell if people weren't bad-mouthing BlackBerry. I disagree. But we'll see.
    09-30-16 03:28 PM
    One thing about the future.... it only comes one day at a time!
    09-30-16 08:22 PM
    I think the important question is not if they are going to manufacture the phones. For me, the most important question is whats the official status of BB10.

I mean, the hardware can be done by anybody else (like the iphones are made by chinese kids :-p ). The real deal for me is the future of BB10.
    Seeing what happens with BB10 is the bigger question. If BlackBerry has the money to spend they will design in house again.

09-30-16 10:54 PM
    Well Chen being Chen around press media, he isn't even sure if BlackBerry will continue with hardware or not. I guess he's leaving things open for future once they start making profit with their current business model.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 12:41 AM
    So true lostboy5151 !
    10-02-16 03:58 PM
    So does anyone disagree that your OS in the future is either going to be Android or IOS?
    10-02-16 04:00 PM
    What about andromeda? Or surface phone? What happens when quantum technology starts appearing in two years?

Passport!
    10-02-16 04:15 PM
    So does anyone disagree that your OS in the future is either going to be Android or IOS?
    Microsoft is still very active with Windows 10 mobile development, and they have the resources to keep inching along for now, and sooner or later somebody will release the next "game changer".......technology marches on, and people will eventually get bored and look for something different, and someone will give it to them...

Sent from mTalk
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-02-16 04:25 PM
    Seeing what happens with BB10 is the bigger question. If BlackBerry has the money to spend they will design in house again.

BB10 is not going to unzip it's body bag and get up off the slab.
    If BlackBerry has money to spend they will spend it on something that has a chance at ROI.
    10-02-16 04:45 PM
    Then there was my 9780 and the original battery was pretty strong until it was 5 years old.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Wow, 5 years? I killed it in 2 yrs, didn't stay alive for half an hour after that. I'm a terrible user.
    10-02-16 05:12 PM
78 1234