...at work.

My manager just couldn't seem to figure out how to delete certain music albums from her iPhone in order to free up space. She was loaded to capacity and needed to make room. I'm not familiar with iPhones, but her husband is quite the fan. She had her macbook hooked up to her phone and I stated that it should be simple in iTunes (when connected to the laptop) to delete individual albums from the phone. Both she and her husband said it wasn't possible without having to wipe and re - synch. I don't know if this is true or not.

At this point the conversation shifted to BlackBerry and how he declined the opportunity to buy their stock last year, when they were in a MUCH more precarious position (I brought it up...hehe). I rattled off a few legitimate reasons for optimism regarding BlackBerry, to which he replied the exact same thing he said last year (back when I was showing off my new Z10, which I still do)..."why would I want to buy stock in BlackBerry, they're not going to be around in 6 months?" I'm surprised (really...) that I kept a relatively straight face after he said that.

Anyway, to keep a long story long, I walked over to my manager (with File Manager opened) and showed her how I could erase any song or album I wanted directly from my phone...

...and said "but your phone is better than mine".

I didn't even bother bringing up the fact that in that position I could have just swapped microSD cards as another solution.

I'm too lazy at the moment, but anyone know what the difference in the stock price of BlackBerry now to a year ago?

Is it bad that I genuinely felt bad for her in that situation, when for me it's a quick and simple solution on BB10?

Thought it was an especially interesting encounter with people I see every day and wanted to share. Comments?

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-17-14 09:39 PM
    I cannot understand systems without accessible file management. I love that I can just move the files that I want using good old copy and paste or drag n' drop. To this day I still refuse to install iTunes on a computer.

Posted via CB10
    Acumenight likes this.
    11-17-14 10:05 PM
    I do the same with my wife and her iP5. Whenever she's stuck on something, or I show her something my phone can do without an app or accessory, I tell her, "but your phone is the best phone in the world?!"

Re: stock price. 52 week low: $5.79. High: $14.26. Closed today at $12.37?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 10:09 PM
    I cannot understand systems without accessible file management. I love that I can just move the files that I want using good old copy and paste or drag n' drop. To this day I still refuse to install iTunes on a computer.

Posted via CB10
    File management and sharing capabilities are essential for any serious "mobile computing" use case.

So, we're not opening Windows Explorer multiple times a day to hunt down a certain file or find some documents? And then we attach and email them off to someone? :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-18-14 04:04 AM
    Its pretty simple to delete an album on an iPhone. Just swipe the album to the left and the delete option will come up.
    11-18-14 05:54 AM
    This! I bet half of the people here didn't even bother to try an iPhone but still want to judge it.
    It's one thing when an option isn't offered and another when the user simply isn't aware of its existence. Most BlackBerry users didn't didn't know the alt+Rshift+del shortcut either...

? Passport - Bigger not better.
    shaleem likes this.
    11-18-14 06:08 AM
    This! I bet half of the people here didn't even bother to try an iPhone but still want to judge it.
    It's one thing when an option isn't offered and another when the user simply isn't aware of its existence. Most BlackBerry users didn't didn't know the alt+Rshift+del shortcut either...

? Passport - Bigger not better.
    I always do a Google search for tips etc. Helps a lot. I often have to help others with their devices and I usually do a search. In that way I learn something not juts about BlackBerry but also other platforms.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    11-18-14 07:00 AM
    It's one thing when an option isn't offered and another when the user simply isn't aware of its existence.
    So much for Apple's intuitive user interfaces...
    Andy_bb_king, spikesolie and mnc76 like this.
    11-18-14 07:01 AM
    I always do a Google search for tips etc. Helps a lot. I often have to help others with their devices and I usually do a search. In that way I learn something not juts about BlackBerry but also other platforms.
    Absolutely agree. Chances are that someone has had the exact problem before and found a solution already.

So much for Apple's intuitive user interfaces...
    It's great up to a certain point...but doesn't offer the consistency in intuitiveness BB10 has.
    11-18-14 07:37 AM
    Its pretty simple to delete an album on an iPhone. Just swipe the album to the left and the delete option will come up.
    Only after jumping through hoops.

6 Ways to Delete Music on Your iPhone - wikiHow

Should be select song -> delete. That is why I find BB10 more productive. And iTunes sucks and is only a lock.
    11-18-14 07:51 AM

Should be select song -> delete. That is why I find BB10 more productive. And iTunes sucks and is only a lock.
    Good lord!

Ios 8 looks pretty good, almost on par with BB10 except for the situations where you can't delete something and have to delete your entire music library as a work around. Welcome to 1994.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 08:17 AM
    Good lord!

Ios 8 looks pretty good, almost on par with BB10 except for the situations where you can't delete something and have to delete your entire music library as a work around. Welcome to 1994.

Posted via CB10
    You think after all this time, they could get a music player that works well.
    11-18-14 08:35 AM
    ...at work.

My manager just couldn't seem to figure out how to delete certain music albums from her iPhone in order to free up space. She was loaded to capacity and needed to make room. I'm not familiar with iPhones, but her husband is quite the fan. She had her macbook hooked up to her phone and I stated that it should be simple in iTunes (when connected to the laptop) to delete individual albums from the phone. Both she and her husband said it wasn't possible without having to wipe and re - synch. I don't know if this is true or not.

At this point the conversation shifted to BlackBerry and how he declined the opportunity to buy their stock last year, when they were in a MUCH more precarious position (I brought it up...hehe). I rattled off a few legitimate reasons for optimism regarding BlackBerry, to which he replied the exact same thing he said last year (back when I was showing off my new Z10, which I still do)..."why would I want to buy stock in BlackBerry, they're not going to be around in 6 months?" I'm surprised (really...) that I kept a relatively straight face after he said that.

Anyway, to keep a long story long, I walked over to my manager (with File Manager opened) and showed her how I could erase any song or album I wanted directly from my phone...

...and said "but your phone is better than mine".

I didn't even bother bringing up the fact that in that position I could have just swapped microSD cards as another solution.

I'm too lazy at the moment, but anyone know what the difference in the stock price of BlackBerry now to a year ago?

Is it bad that I genuinely felt bad for her in that situation, when for me it's a quick and simple solution on BB10?

Thought it was an especially interesting encounter with people I see every day and wanted to share. Comments?

Posted via CB10
    I bought some at 6, it was above 12 last week. Now hovering around 11. I'm even ok with the shares I bought 2 years ago at 8.5. Too bad I didn't buy very much

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    11-18-14 09:38 AM

None of that is accurate with iOS8. Whether or not you have music iTunes Match turned on or not you can still delete the song easily from your device. iTunes Match is a service that will store any song you've downloaded from anywhere whether it's from iTunes or not and store it in the cloud for you and make it available on any iOS device. You can delete it from your device whenever you want, but it will still be stored in the cloud if you want to put it back on your device at another time.

Whether or not it's turned on or not it's still just a swipe to delete it off your device. If you have "show all music" turned on in the settings it will still delete it from the device but will still show it as available to stream in the cloud. If you don't want cloud music to show up you just simply turn off "show all music."

There are many things that BB10 does well but music management and options for streaming music (let along buying music) isn't one of them. I'm sorry but the music player on BB10 isn't as close to being as nice as it is on iOS.
    11-18-14 01:28 PM
    You will have an easier time talking a BB user into an iPhone than the other way around even if they both love the original platform. I really don't know why but that seems to be the case as I have seen. If anyone knows please enlighten me. The hold apple has on their customers is mind boggleing.
    11-18-14 01:36 PM
    Good lord!

Posted via CB10
    I have used ios8 for about a week. And it can get quite frustrating coming from OS10. Not as intuitive and user friendly. My poor husband is quite frustrated with it since it is their work phone.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    11-18-14 04:25 PM
    I dunno about this one... I'm a diehard Passport user, but I find the iOS music player superior in nearly every way. It syncs with my iTunesand iCloud without constant sync errors, and regarding the OP's comments, I can certainly delete any song or playlist on the go whenever I want without plugging it into my Mac.

That being said, I'm not going back to iOS or any OS that doesn't have a file manager, but I hope the BB10 music experience will continue to improve. 10.3 was a good step forward.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 08:07 PM
    None of that is accurate with iOS8. Whether or not you have music iTunes Match turned on or not you can still delete the song easily from your device. iTunes Match is a service that will store any song you've downloaded from anywhere whether it's from iTunes or not and store it in the cloud for you and make it available on any iOS device. You can delete it from your device whenever you want, but it will still be stored in the cloud if you want to put it back on your device at another time.

Whether or not it's turned on or not it's still just a swipe to delete it off your device. If you have "show all music" turned on in the settings it will still delete it from the device but will still show it as available to stream in the cloud. If you don't want cloud music to show up you just simply turn off "show all music."

There are many things that BB10 does well but music management and options for streaming music (let along buying music) isn't one of them. I'm sorry but the music player on BB10 isn't as close to being as nice as it is on iOS.
    Method 2 is iOS8

Method 2 of 6: Deleting Songs, Albums, and Artists on iOS 8

Turn off iTunes Match. If, like most people, you have never turned on iTunes Match, you can skip this step. iTunes Match is a paid streaming service for your music, and can make it difficult to determine which music you actually have stored on your device.
    Tap Settings → iTunes & App Stores → iTunes Match. Make sure that it is toggled off.
    Hide your undownloaded music. Return to the Settings app and select "Music". Toggle the "Show All Music" slider off. This will hide music that has not been downloaded to your device but is associated with your iCloud account. Hiding this music will make deleting the music stored on your device much easier.
    Open the Music app. Unlike iOS 7, which only allowed you to delete individual songs, you can use the Music app to delete songs, albums, and artists in iOS 8.
    Delete a song. To delete an individual song, navigate to it in the Music app. Swipe from right to left on the song entry to reveal the "Delete" button. Tap the button to remove the song.
    You cannot swipe songs that are located on your iCloud account but haven't been downloaded. These are indicated by a small iCloud download icon on the right side of the song. You will need to hide these by toggling off "Show All Music" in the "Music" section of the Settings app.
    If you can't swipe the song and there is no iCloud icon, there may be a problem with the song. The quickest way to fix this is to use iTunes to resync your music.
    Delete an album. If you want to delete an entire album, select Albums from the bottom menu (you may have to tap "More..." to find it). This will open the Album view. Swipe the album you want to delete from right to left to reveal the "Delete" button. Tap this to delete the whole album.
    You cannot swipe an album if any of the songs on the album are located on your iCloud account but haven't been downloaded. If you can't swipe the album, it means that the some or all of the album is not actually on your device.
    Delete all songs by an artist. Select Artists from the bottom menu. Swipe the artist that you want to remove all the songs by from right to left. This will reveal the "Delete" button. Tap this button to delete all songs by that artist.
    You cannot swipe artists if any of their songs are located on your iCloud account but haven't been downloaded. There is no indication of this on the "Artists" menu, so if you can't swipe you'll need to check which of that artist's songs aren't downloaded on your device.
    Delete stubborn songs. If there are songs that just won't delete or that you cannot swipe no matter what you do, you may be able to get rid of them by deleting all of your music.
    Open Settings
    Tap "General"
    Tap "Usage"
    Tap "Manage Storage" in the "Storage" section
    Tap the "Music" app
    Tap Edit
    Tap the delete button that appears next to "All Songs".
    Resync your library using iTunes if you are still having problems. Syncing your iPhone with iTunes and resetting the music on your device may help remove lingering songs that you can't seem to delete.
    Still way to much just to delete a song.
    11-18-14 08:21 PM
    Method 2 is iOS8

Still way to much just to delete a song.
    Right, and I'm telling you that is not even close to being accurate.
    11-18-14 11:31 PM

Well at least the BB10 music player plays FLAC music above 320 kb/s, right?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 12:49 AM
    Mmmm lossless audio files=)

In case anyone wants to accuse me of stuff, I think I stated that I wasn't even sure if what my coworker and her husband were telling me was true re: deleting music. My glib comment to her was more of a poke at her smug husband who was within earshot. These people have owned several iPhones/iPods and other tree fruit products, yet couldn't figure out how to do something so simple (or what should be). These are NOT stupid people.

After owning a few Macs and an iPod, I don't understand the obsession with iTunes for media files. But it's likely I'm not the typical user, since I can't fathom why it's necessary to have thousands of songs always at hand. Let me put on my fire retardant suit before this next comment. I listen to good music that doesn't get old after one or two rotations (Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, and so on..) . Consequently, iTunes offers little benefit to me, since I don't need to fill my phone with voluminous garbage needing sorting and tagging, and it won't play lossless either (maybe that's changed).

If I want to load songs, play songs , and create playlists (on the fly) , what advantage does iTunes offer? This is a legitimate question. I don't understand the dependency. Mind you, in the past I've carried separate devices which were dedicated and better for music (i.e. Cowon S9, Sansa Clip).

Flame on.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 01:40 AM
    I listen to good music that doesn't get old after one or two rotations (Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, and so on..)
    Flame on.

Posted via CB10
    It's newer stuff, but check out Helen Jane Long. (piano and strings)
    Great background music
    11-19-14 02:32 AM
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I'm still interested to know the answer to the question I posed below:

If I want to load songs, play songs , and create playlists (on the fly) , what advantage does iTunes offer? This is a legitimate question. I don't understand the dependency. Mind you, in the past I've carried separate devices which were dedicated and better for music (i.e. Cowon S9, Sansa Clip).

Flame on.

Posted via CB10
    And to the poster who suggested Helen Jane Long, thank-you It's pleasant music, but for some reason it reminds me of Yanni...haha

Posted via CB10
    QXS likes this.
    11-24-14 11:28 AM
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I'm still interested to know the answer to the question I posed below:

And to the poster who suggested Helen Jane Long, thank-you It's pleasant music, but for some reason it reminds me of Yanni...haha

Posted via CB10
    iTunes is a handy way to organize your music on a computer. iOS is not tied to iTunes as much as it used to be. For what you are talking about here, I think the only thing you would need iTunes for would be to load a song on to the iPhone when you have chosen not to store the song in iCloud. If the song is stored in the cloud, you can download it on your phone without a computer. Once your songs are on the phone, you can create playlists without iTunes. You can also delete songs by swiping left and tapping delete (I'm surprised some people in this thread made fun of iOS as being unintuitive for the use of a swiping gesture - hmm).

Essentially you need to hook up to the computer and use iTunes only in the same circumstance you would hook up to the computer with a BB10 device - when you want to use usb to put songs on the phone. This dependency on iTunes you are talking about is old news based on old versions of iOS.

I'm a fan of technology and I like all the major mobile OS's (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and BB10). They are all fairly mature at this point. It seems like the fan wars are most often based on simply not knowing how the other OS's work, not so much on actual significant feature deficiencies.
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    11-25-14 06:44 AM
    iTunes is a handy way to organize your music on a computer. iOS is not tied to iTunes as much as it used to be. For what you are talking about here, I think the only thing you would need iTunes for would be to load a song on to the iPhone when you have chosen not to store the song in iCloud. If the song is stored in the cloud, you can download it on your phone without a computer. Once your songs are on the phone, you can create playlists without iTunes. You can also delete songs by swiping left and tapping delete (I'm surprised some people in this thread made fun of iOS as being unintuitive for the use of a swiping gesture - hmm).

Essentially you need to hook up to the computer and use iTunes only in the same circumstance you would hook up to the computer with a BB10 device - when you want to use usb to put songs on the phone. This dependency on iTunes you are talking about is old news based on old versions of iOS.

I'm a fan of technology and I like all the major mobile OS's (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and BB10). They are all fairly mature at this point. It seems like the fan wars are most often based on simply not knowing how the other OS's work, not so much on actual significant feature deficiencies.
    Couldn't you use usb on the go? X,'D

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    11-26-14 01:19 PM
27 12