So last night my gf mentioned she had just picked up an ancient laptop from her older sister who no longer wants it. Only catch to this freebie, is that the monitor doesn�t seem to be working. So I said, okay, bring it over today and let me look at it. She dropped it off, we went out for brunch and when I got back I turned it on to see what was going on.

Turns out the screen was okay, just VERY VERY Dim...so I'm like hmm...I can prob fix this no prob...I also almost jumped for joy because I realized I could not upgrade my new replacement 8830 to OS 4.5!! (I have a MacBook, so I have to obv use a PC to make the upgrade) When I upgraded my original phone a few months ago, I was using my step-dads PC...however my parents are now divorced so I am PC less for lack of better words.

So I jump on the web (thank god it had a wifi card built in, because there are no ethernet jacks here, the whole community is under a wifi umbrella) and head over to BB's site. I see they have a whole new, well somewhat new webpage designed to upgrade your BB via web, rather than having to dl desktop manager software. Cool! The upgrade app begins to download, and I say to myself "Hmm...so about this monitor being so dimm...I wonder if the brightness is simply not all the way up? It looks like thats the issue...simple fix!" I press the fn key, and the up arrow to up the brightness alittle....what happens? The screen went black.(!!!!!) And I almost **** a brick, because at this point the BB update was already installing...I did NOT want to have to find a way to get JL Cmdr again and go through that process...although it is easy...its rather nerve wracking!!

Frantically, I hold down the fn key and am pressing the up and down arrows like a freakin madman, and still nothing!! The screen is black....completely blacked out, except for a very, very dim outline of the update thats still processing in the background. I try positioning the laptop underneath my dining room light so that I can get a better view of whats happening....luckily I can still vaguely read whats happening on screen. I will admit though, finding the mouse was a task!! Haha...I am stil laughing about this situation.

It looks like the update is about to wrap up, and I am getting excited because I was so used to using .135 (if im not mistaken) on my original berry...going back to 4.2 when I got my replacement yesterday took some getting used to...mostly with the browser really...but still.

Anyway, thought I would share my story with you guys/gals quick...gonna go check on the status, re-download most of my apps and see if I can get this damn laptop back in order!

Oh, and Ive attached some photos for your laughing pleasure!

Michael
    04-01-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD