As noted by Bla1ze in the blog (http://crackberry.com/closer-look-bl...crets-it-holds), a mysterious "Rubicon" appears to be several times mentioned in the BB10 dev alpha guts ...

Most of you, N.A CB members, won't probably even notice what "Rubicon" suggest ...
    For a European (former) Latin it's pretty much meaningful. Let's have some history :
    In 49 BC, supposedly on January 10 of the Roman calendar, G. Julius Caesar led one legion, the Legio XIII Gemina, south over the Rubicon from Cisalpine Gaul to Italy to make his way to Rome. In doing so, he (deliberately) broke the law on imperium and made armed conflict inevitable. According to the historian Suetonius, Caesar uttered the famous phrase ālea iacta est ("the die has been cast").[1] Caesar's decision for swift action forced Pompey, the lawful consuls (G. Claudius Marcellus and L. Cornelius Lentulus Crus), and a large part of the Roman Senate to flee Rome in fear. Caesar's subsequent victory in Caesar's civil war ensured that punishment for the infraction would never be rendered.
    Rubicon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I'm used to now, I'll forecast (speculatively) :
    On January 10, RIM launches the invasion . Codename : "alea jacta est" (aka "do or die").
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-11-12 at 03:47 AM.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    05-11-12 03:29 AM
    Ha! Wow.. that's pretty insightful. Thanks.
    05-11-12 03:45 AM
    saying " crossed the rubicon" is the smart alecs version of saying crossed the line
    05-11-12 03:49 AM
    Lol

I live these posts!
    05-11-12 04:13 AM
    veni vidi but not quite vici ......for rim at this point.
    05-11-12 04:17 AM
    veni vidi but not quite vici ......for rim at this point.
    ... comes afterwards
    05-11-12 04:49 AM
    Saying you have "Crossed the Rubicon" means that you are now fully committed to an (usually aggressive) action, and this action has implications for other people.

It is similar to saying that you have "planted your flag".

$0.02.
    wuulfy likes this.
    05-11-12 04:58 AM
    Saying you have "Crossed the Rubicon" means that you are now fully committed to an (usually aggressive) action, and this action has implications for other people.

It is similar to saying that you have "planted your flag".

$0.02.
    and this is a smart alecs way of saying what i just said earlier lol
    Geeoff and Knightcrawler like this.
    05-11-12 05:08 AM
    friends, romans, canadians....send me your blackberrys.
    05-11-12 05:16 AM
    You mirin?
    05-11-12 06:28 AM
    and this is a smart alec's way of saying what i just said earlier lol
    It really isn't. Crossing the line is a minor infringement...much like stepping over the mark...like taking a joke to far and making it about someone's child/parent/grandparent.

Crossing the rubicon as has been said before is an aggressive, gambling, all-out strategy.

I thought of this instantly when I saw the name but just couldn't work out what device would fit that...
    05-11-12 06:33 AM
    It really isn't. Crossing the line is a minor infringement...much like stepping over the mark...like taking a joke to far and making it about someone's child/parent/grandparent.

Crossing the rubicon as has been said before is an aggressive, gambling, all-out strategy.

I thought of this instantly when I saw the name but just couldn't work out what device would fit that...
    i think you are correct that this should be the more accurate use. I have seen it being used more in comic effect than in anything else. In other words a deliberate exageration and reaction to a realtively minor infraction.

i think it would probably sound a little pompous if you used it seriously, at least in normal conversation. imo
    05-11-12 07:05 AM
    of course we could just be talking about the river lol
    05-11-12 07:08 AM
    infamy, infamy...they all have it in for me..
    05-11-12 07:09 AM
    They could be talking about advancements in pairing technology. Turning a dual core phone and a dual core tablet into a virtual quad core using bridge through wifi. Crossing the wifi rubicon, if you will.

It's something no one else is doing, or can do with their current OS. Micro-clouds.

While you're busy working away on your tablet, computation intensive background processes could be offloaded onto your smartphone and vice versa. It makes sense, and gives a lot of value to having both a BB10 tablet and phone.
    Knightcrawler and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-11-12 12:44 PM
    Interesting...
    05-11-12 12:55 PM
    Rubicon is also the development team that publishes GLWG. Yes RIM is playing a GLWG...so the plot thickens...
    jkomo001 likes this.
    05-11-12 01:44 PM
    They could be talking about advancements in pairing technology. Turning a dual core phone and a dual core tablet into a virtual quad core using bridge through wifi. Crossing the wifi rubicon, if you will.

It's something no one else is doing, or can do with their current OS. Micro-clouds.

While you're busy working away on your tablet, computation intensive background processes could be offloaded onto your smartphone and vice versa. It makes sense, and gives a lot of value to having both a BB10 tablet and phone.
    Thats a really interesting concept. But from a practical standpoint, how feasible is it? Is this something QNX is currently capable of i wonder?

As for Rubicon, do you think it might be the codename for the first BB10 device? after all, the launch of the very first bb10 hardware is basically RIM's rubicon. There's no going back after that .
    05-11-12 08:13 PM
    Thats a really interesting concept. But from a practical standpoint, how feasible is it? Is this something QNX is currently capable of i wonder?
    I was possible a decade ago, long before they made updates that streamlined the kernel even further.

Transparent Distributed Processing

Its quite likely it was incorporated into bridge directly.
    05-11-12 08:29 PM
    friends, romans, canadians....send me your blackberrys.

Hahahahhaa

Sent via Tapatalk by my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    05-11-12 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD