I usually don't post anything on here, just read the posts. However, I have a funny story to tell. Back in November i dropped my beloved BlackBerry 9930 on the ground and cracked the screen. This was the first time I have ever done this and thought I was going to die. Since I had an upgrade with my carrier on 1/1/13 I decided I was going to do some research and get a new phone.
    On January 1 i walked into Best Buy and bought the iPhone 5. Now, I have 2 teenage daughters that both have iPhones and both have had Android phones so I knew what I was getting myself into. The iPhone is a quality phone with a great feel to it. My friends all wanted to touch it and play with it. After 1 week of using it and having countless texting errors I decided to walk back into Best Buy and get the Galaxy S3. My thoughts were this - the S3 is wider and therefore would have bigger on screen keys and texting would be a breeze. I loved the S3. It could do amazing things and not to mention how nice widgets are. However, the phone was plastic and every time I picked it up I was reminded that it was plastic. So no I had a decision to make. Do I keep the S3 that can do amazing things, do I go back and get the iPhone that felt like a nice phone in my hand or do I wait for BB10?
    Well,needless to say my told me that if she hears the word "phone" one more time she was going to shove an iPhone were the sun doesn't shine...to which I replied "wouldn't that be cool if Siri would talk out of my ****?"- She was not amused....
    So 1 week after that I walked back into Best Buy again and the mobile phone "hostess" greeted me and asked if she could help me. When I told her I wanted to exchange the S3 she looked at me as if I had 3 heads and said "WHY??!?"...and I said "I don't care for it". She said "OK, What do you want instead?"When I told her I wanted the BlackBerry Bold 9930 she said said " WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?!?"....Now this really pissed me off.I have always had stellar service at Best Buy and this "hostess" was not the norm. Another salesperson turned around and said " Why don't you let him buy what he wants?"
    So after I exchanged the S3 and the 9930 was ready to go I walked out to my car and just sat there looking at my brand new shiny 9930. The keys clicked so nicely, it smelled so good....I felt like a drug addict that just got a much needed "hit". I couldn't believe how good this made feel.
    So, long story short - The Bold 9930 does what I need it to do. There is nothing like that keyboard ANYWHERE. It has all the popular apps I need and then some. Maybe I will check out BB10 when it finally comes to my carrier or maybe the 9930 is where it's at for me. Either way -I am BlackBerry By Choice!!
    01-15-13 07:28 AM
    A good salesperson will never push personal opinion on you, instead will ask questions to find out what you need and ensure that what you are purchasing fits your needs. Not all customers come in as prepared as most CBers do and are often making a purchase based on "popular" choice. I have never had this happen with BB though lol If someone comes in asking for a BB its because they have done their research and have made a conscious decision to purchase it based on their needs. BB has never been the "cool" kids phone that everyone wants buts doesn't know why they want it lol

Good on you for trying some of the other platforms to see what fits your needs.
    robkd likes this.
    01-15-13 08:16 AM
    I usually don't post anything on here, just read the posts. However, I have a funny story to tell. Back in November i dropped my beloved BlackBerry 9930 on the ground and cracked the screen. This was the first time I have ever done this and thought I was going to die. Since I had an upgrade with my carrier on 1/1/13 I decided I was going to do some research and get a new phone.
    On January 1 i walked into Best Buy and bought the iPhone 5. Now, I have 2 teenage daughters that both have iPhones and both have had Android phones so I knew what I was getting myself into. The iPhone is a quality phone with a great feel to it. My friends all wanted to touch it and play with it. After 1 week of using it and having countless texting errors I decided to walk back into Best Buy and get the Galaxy S3. My thoughts were this - the S3 is wider and therefore would have bigger on screen keys and texting would be a breeze. I loved the S3. It could do amazing things and not to mention how nice widgets are. However, the phone was plastic and every time I picked it up I was reminded that it was plastic. So no I had a decision to make. Do I keep the S3 that can do amazing things, do I go back and get the iPhone that felt like a nice phone in my hand or do I wait for BB10?
    Well,needless to say my told me that if she hears the word "phone" one more time she was going to shove an iPhone were the sun doesn't shine...to which I replied "wouldn't that be cool if Siri would talk out of my ****?"- She was not amused....
    So 1 week after that I walked back into Best Buy again and the mobile phone "hostess" greeted me and asked if she could help me. When I told her I wanted to exchange the S3 she looked at me as if I had 3 heads and said "WHY??!?"...and I said "I don't care for it". She said "OK, What do you want instead?"When I told her I wanted the BlackBerry Bold 9930 she said said " WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?!?"....Now this really pissed me off.I have always had stellar service at Best Buy and this "hostess" was not the norm. Another salesperson turned around and said " Why don't you let him buy what he wants?"
    So after I exchanged the S3 and the 9930 was ready to go I walked out to my car and just sat there looking at my brand new shiny 9930. The keys clicked so nicely, it smelled so good....I felt like a drug addict that just got a much needed "hit". I couldn't believe how good this made feel.
    So, long story short - The Bold 9930 does what I need it to do. There is nothing like that keyboard ANYWHERE. It has all the popular apps I need and then some. Maybe I will check out BB10 when it finally comes to my carrier or maybe the 9930 is where it's at for me. Either way -I am BlackBerry By Choice!!
    lol, this happened to me too. well, actually not the same phones. but that feeling of ease when getting back to a BlackBerry... i like your story!
    01-15-13 08:29 AM
    Yea its all about good salespeople. When I went to get my bb to replace my busted samsung the sales lady asked me why I would want it when everybody is running away from bb. It didn't stop there. I got annoyed with her. She didn't seem interested in talking to me as soon as I said the word BlackBerry. She even stopped smiling when I said I wanted a bb. Even though I was stuck with my carrier I walked into a t-booth to see what the best plan I could get for bb on any carrier. The guy there was so helpful. Told me the best deal I could get without doubting my choice or making me feel stupid for going with bb. When I finish my contract I'll be going back to that guy. He could see that I wanted it. He deserved the commission, not the bell rep that treated me like dirt.
    01-15-13 08:43 AM
    Hang on.
    So you accept the S3 does things your 9900 couldnt.
    Then you wonder why the saleslady asked you WHY you wanted a 9900?
    Fair question, I think people looking out for customers should be asking this, as the 9900 wont fill the needs of 99% of consumers.
    Think of the returns they must be getting when people take the phone home and realise it doesnt do what the competition does.

Then you went back to the 9900 and are happy with it. Great.
    What youre basically saying is you chose the toy over the tool that you had previously that did more function wise.
    Nowt wrong with that, but I cant see the point in your wall of text?
    01-15-13 09:11 AM
    Hang on.
    So you accept the S3 does things your 9900 couldnt.
    Then you wonder why the saleslady asked you WHY you wanted a 9900?
    Fair question, I think people looking out for customers should be asking this, as the 9900 wont fill the needs of 99% of consumers.
    Think of the returns they must be getting when people take the phone home and realise it doesnt do what the competition does.

Then you went back to the 9900 and are happy with it. Great.
    What youre basically saying is you chose the toy over the tool that you had previously that did more function wise.
    Nowt wrong with that, but I cant see the point in your wall of text?
    You're no better than that salesperson.
    01-15-13 09:43 AM
    You're no better than that salesperson.
    If you disagree with any of my points tell me why and Ill be happy to hear you out and share my POV.
    Otherwise, your one line blanket reply just looks like desperation.

OP said his GS3 did more than his 9900, not me. OP said his only problem with the GS3 was that it was made of plastic, not me. Ive never even owned a GS3. OP said the saleslady simply asked him why he wanted a BB, not me.
    01-15-13 10:00 AM
    If you disagree with any of my points tell me why and Ill be happy to hear you out and share my POV.
    Otherwise, your one line blanket reply just looks like desperation.
    No, the real "blanket" statement here is your claim that the 9900 is not suitable for 99% of people. Your post isn't deserving of a reply much longer than the one I gave you, but since I'm such a nice fellow, I'll give you a little more.

Simply put, perhaps it's not about what the phone does, and the number of features it has. The 9900 might not be able to do everything an Android does, but it excels at the basics, like messaging and email, keyboard shortcuts, and other slightly intangible things that don't seem exciting but are important for daily use.

Anyways, that's all you're getting.
    01-15-13 10:16 AM
    No, the real "blanket" statement here is your claim that the 9900 is not suitable for 99% of people. Your post isn't deserving of a reply much longer than the one I gave you, but since I'm such a nice fellow, I'll give you a little more.

Simply put, perhaps it's not about what the phone does, and the number of features it has. The 9900 might not be able to do everything an Android does, but it excels at the basics, like messaging and email, keyboard shortcuts, and other slightly intangible things that don't seem exciting but are important for daily use.

Anyways, that's all you're getting.
    Lol.
    I stand by my view that the 9900, compared with other devices at its off contract price, isnt the best choice for 99% of people. Its got a worse camera, an inferior ecosystem, the only things it offers that are easily better than the competition are the trackpad and the keyboard.

You admit the 9900 cant do everything an Android device, for example, can do, but say it excels at basics, like messaging and email.
    Aye, except if the person youre messaging wants to use Skype. Or Google products.
    Emails great. Except if you want to email attachments, and run into the severe attachment size limitations you dont face on other platforms.

Basically, youve come up with zero points, not because youre a nice guy, but because youre incapable of coming up with anything.

Im wasting my time talking to someone who cant justify his view with more than using words like 'intangible' to substitute real examples.
    Thats all youre getting of my time.

The saleslady was right to at least inquire what the customers reason for wanting a 9900 was.
    If he said 'lots of text editing and typing' or 'bbms a must' then the 9900 is probably the device for him.
    Any other answer and it probably isnt, at least I cant think of any reasons for a consumer.
    01-15-13 10:31 AM
    Lol.
    I stand by my view that the 9900, compared with other devices at its off contract price, isnt the best choice for 99% of people. Its got a worse camera, an inferior ecosystem, the only things it offers that are easily better than the competition are the trackpad and the keyboard.

You admit the 9900 cant do everything an Android device, for example, can do, but say it excels at basics, like messaging and email.
    Aye, except if the person youre messaging wants to use Skype. Or Google products.
    Emails great. Except if you want to email attachments, and run into the severe attachment size limitations you dont face on other platforms.

Basically, youve come up with zero points, not because youre a nice guy, but because youre incapable of coming up with anything.

Im wasting my time talking to someone who cant justify his view with more than using words like 'intangible' to substitute real examples.
    Thats all youre getting of my time.

The saleslady was right to at least inquire what the customers reason for wanting a 9900 was.
    If he said 'lots of text editing and typing' or 'bbms a must' then the 9900 is probably the device for him.
    Any other answer and it probably isnt, at least I cant think of any reasons for a consumer.
    You said it wouldn't fulfill the needs of 99% of the people and you took a story that was meant to be a light hearted feel good story and turned it into a platform argument. Your 99% statement could never be proven as you have no idea what the needs of 99% of the population that desire a cell phone are. Besides, it wasn't as much what she said as how she said it.
    01-15-13 10:51 AM
    You said it wouldn't fulfill the needs of 99% of the people and you took a story that was meant to be a light hearted feel good story and turned it into a platform argument. Your 99% statement could never be proven as you have no idea what the needs of 99% of the population that desire a cell phone are. Besides, it wasn't as much what she said as how she said it.
    I put in 99% so as to not be absolute, theres always exceptions. The truth is I cant see why anyone with an open mind would choose a 9900 over a similarly specced alternate model that does more. Whether you need it or not is irrelevant, if youre paying the money why shouldnt you have the option to do more, and with better hardware?
    Besides, neither you nor me were there, so telling me it wasnt what she said but how she said it is just... Come on.
    01-15-13 11:11 AM
    I put in 99% so as to not be absolute, theres always exceptions. The truth is I cant see why anyone with an open mind would choose a 9900 over a similarly specced alternate model that does more. Whether you need it or not is irrelevant, if youre paying the money why shouldnt you have the option to do more, and with better hardware?
    Besides, neither you nor me were there, so telling me it wasnt what she said but how she said it is just... Come on.
    just drop it.

Im happy for the OP
    01-15-13 11:18 AM
    How good is a pair of the best italian shoes size 14 to somebody who needs a size 10 steel toe cap boots?

To put it bluntly the 9900 is the best phone in its class. Please show me a better physical qwerty phone?

PS, does the device you use not have spell check?
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-15-13 at 01:53 PM.
    01-15-13 01:40 PM
    How good is a pair of the best italian shoes size 14 to somebody who needs a size 10 steel toe cap boots?

To put it bluntly the 9900 is the best phone in its class. Please show me a better physical qwerty phone?

PS, does the device you use not have spell check?
    There isn't a better physical qwerty phone. If thats all someone is looking for in a phone, a keyboard, the 9900 is the king, by far.
    Heck, even now, I feel the urge to go back to that keyboard, and have to remind myself of all the other features Id lose by doing. Id probably still give in if the camera was at least half decent, that's how good the keyboard is.

But there's also nowt wrong with a salesperson asking someone why they want a phone. Thats what they're there for, to advise people. To guide the average non techie person.
    Nowt wrong with someone happy to have a 9900, but I dont see why 3 of the first 4 posts feel the salesperson did summat wrong for asking why the customer wanted a 9900 over the competition.

PS, I wrote that post, and this one, on my comp. I dont think my spelling's too bad, but honestly, you're normally good with making points, do you need to throw snarky comments in as well? Come on belfast, I remember you as better than that. You know, before you threw your toys out of the pram and took off. And then came back again...
    01-15-13 03:01 PM
    There isn't a better physical qwerty phone. If thats all someone is looking for in a phone, a keyboard, the 9900 is the king, by far.
    Heck, even now, I feel the urge to go back to that keyboard, and have to remind myself of all the other features Id lose by doing. Id probably still give in if the camera was at least half decent, that's how good the keyboard is.

But there's also nowt wrong with a salesperson asking someone why they want a phone. Thats what they're there for, to advise people. To guide the average non techie person.
    Nowt wrong with someone happy to have a 9900, but I dont see why 3 of the first 4 posts feel the salesperson did summat wrong for asking why the customer wanted a 9900 over the competition.

PS, I wrote that post, and this one, on my comp. I dont think my spelling's too bad, but honestly, you're normally good with making points, do you need to throw snarky comments in as well? Come on belfast, I remember you as better than that. You know, before you threw your toys out of the pram and took off. And then came back again...
    just drop it
    01-15-13 03:02 PM

Don't you think if anybody is returning their SG3 for a Bold 9900 the reason why is pretty obvious? You don't need to go ruin a very positive thread.
    01-15-13 03:14 PM
    Wow..didn't think this would cause so many replies! Anyway, yes the other phones could a lot of things - but nothing that i need more than a QWERTY keyboard. And yes, it was the way the sales person said it. She was just rude...I knew what i wanted....I shouldn't have left.I guess it's true what they say "Once you go black, you never go back".......
    01-15-13 04:13 PM
    Good on you for getting your 9930, and then sitting out in your car and fondling it LOL. I would have done the same thing. All of the replies were in your defense, as it was obvious the other person's rationality was askewed. You knew what you wanted before you even went thru the front door.
    ctuffy and tcbower like this.
    01-15-13 05:54 PM
    I love my SGIII. I love my 4S.

They both work better for me today than my 9900 *because* I use Google products that are not available on BB.

That said....

I have not found apps that give me the depth of notifications and profiles that I get on my BB.
    I would not dream of putting sensitive information on a device that uses GMail, and I have to use GMail on my SGIII.
    I would not put a passwork keeper app on my Android device.

The fact is that Android SGIII is a fantastic, awesome device that has certain limitations and whose limitations are enhanced by apps from the Play Store....but....in that selfsame Play Store there are apps whose creators I don't know from Adam and simply don't trust.

For me, there is no one perfect device. To say that a BB is not suitable to 99% of the population is rampant hyperbole. Similarly, to deny the advantages of the power in my SGIII is fangirl blindness.

Different devices do different things. When you bring the device home and you have to live with it for two weeks you realise that well.....maybe the other one was better. To say that 99% of the population is unhappily making do with a BB is just ridiculous. To say that 99% of the population who use Android or iPhones are only using them as toys is equally ridiculous.

Truth is multifaceted.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-17-13 at 11:36 AM.
    jakie55 and raino like this.
    01-17-13 10:50 AM
    I love my SGIII. I love my 4S.

I have not found apps that give me the depth of notifications and profiles that I get on my BB.

I would not put a passwork keeper app on my Android device.

The fact is that Android SGIII is a fantastic, awesome device that has certain limitations and whose limitations are enhanced by apps from the Play Store....but....in that selfsame Play Store there are apps whose creators I don't know from Adam and simply don't trust.
    These bits from your post have nailed my gripes with Android (as a recent adopter.) I too am looking at a couple of password keepers in addition to equivalents for BB Protect. I had to install a third party app for tasks and Podcasts (which, I'll admit, I don't consider a "core" app.) I have come to appreciate how self-sufficient BBOS is some respects.
    01-17-13 12:55 PM
    Its a shame that a positive thread about BlackBerry gets turned into yet another platform debate.
    01-17-13 02:23 PM
    Bob, CHILL, that's all I'm gonna say!
    Jake Storm, jakie55, raino and 5 others like this.
    01-17-13 02:41 PM