That's like saying next to my six core i7 990x all other processors are outdated, which is obviously not the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    In terms of capabilities, the single core version of this processor is outdated compared to the dual core version. That clearly IS the case. A simple benchmark application and explanation from QC will show you this. If identical devices were running everything the same besides one having dc processor and the other single, it 100% guaranty the dual core version performs better overall. The OS need to support dual core though.

I clearly said in terms of single core processors, this one is not out dated.
    04-12-11 10:25 AM
    In terms of capabilities, the single core version of this processor is outdated compared to the dual core version. That clearly IS the case. A simple benchmark application and explanation from QC will show you this. If identical devices were running everything the same besides one having dc processor and the other single, it 100% guaranty the dual core version performs better overall. The OS need to support dual core though.

I clearly said in terms of single core processors, this one is not out dated.
    I agree with you dual cpus offer more processing power than single core cpus and, six core cpus offer more processing power than quad core cpus. In my mind neither cpu is outdated as there is a time and place along with form and function to utilize them. I disagre with the use of the word outdated.

04-12-11 12:26 PM
    I guess we can agree to disagree then. I'm fine with that.
    04-12-11 01:06 PM
    Marry me.....
    LOL!!!! not with a baby in the oven!!!

All kidding aside, he has been following this device since it was called the Magnum....I* think* this was the Magnum.
    04-12-11 03:16 PM
    yep it was, long time ago, probably been 2 years since we found out about it lol
    04-12-11 04:36 PM
    Lol... A 2.8" touchscreen seriously?
    04-13-11 04:07 AM
    yes, mr. android-user, seriously
    04-13-11 04:56 AM
    Can I just ask... why not?
    04-13-11 06:16 AM
    Can I just ask... why not?
    because hes a BGR/Engadget-member and android-user, he cant help but criticize and bash RIM
    04-13-11 06:53 AM
    Yep seriously
    04-13-11 11:23 AM
    because hes a BGR/Engadget-member and android-user, he cant help but criticize and bash RIM
    Because only BGR/Engadget members and Android users criticize and bash RIM. Does bashing RIM require some qualifications?

2.8 touchscreen is small. I can see it working fine for a lot of people, but coming from a traditional touchscreen, it is extremely small.

Now because I have an iPhone and an Android device, please tell me I just bashed RIM.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-13-11 at 02:27 PM.
    04-13-11 02:25 PM
    Because only BGR/Engadget members and Android users criticize and bash RIM. Does bashing RIM require some qualifications?

2.8 touchscreen is small. I can see it working fine for a lot of people, but coming from a traditional touchscreen, it is extremely small.

Now because I have an iPhone and an Android device, please tell me I just bashed RIM.
    A traditional touchscreen requires a larger size because half the time, you need the space for the on-screen keyboard. For normal UI navigation, a 2.8" touchscreen should be fine and will make navigating much better. Just to have pinch to zoom for the browser is a good enough reason to have one.

I will ALWAYS buy a phone with a physical keyboard. For my use, I'll always need that. So until Apple or an Android manufacturer comes out with one that is as good as a Bold's keyboard, I'm sticking with RIM.

Oh and I also have an iPad 2, and an Android device as well.
    sf49ers likes this.
    04-13-11 02:38 PM
    A snapdragon processor on a blackberry. Just means it can now boot up faster from a battery pull a lot faster
    04-13-11 02:39 PM
    That's like saying next to my six core i7 990x all other processors are outdated, which is obviously not the case.

Well, yeah it kind of is.

A quad core 9550, is a **** of a good processor. But it is at least 2 generations behind. If I launched a new line of cpus that were comparable to the Q9550 that could only run DDR2 memory and no support for USB 3, ATA 3 or the latest GPU Bus protocals, - you would say my hardware is outdated and my company was geared to failure. Even though only 2 years ago, the same CPU would have been touted as top of the line.

Now as a consumer, I may choose to buy said CPU or a computer built around said CPU, but unless completely ignorant, or otherwise required to do so, I am not going to pay the same as you did for the I7 990x.
    04-13-11 02:40 PM
    A traditional touchscreen requires a larger size because half the time, you need the space for the on-screen keyboard. For normal UI navigation, a 2.8" touchscreen should be fine and will make navigating much better. Just to have pinch to zoom for the browser is a good enough reason to have one.

I will ALWAYS buy a phone with a physical keyboard. For my use, I'll always need that. So until Apple or an Android manufacturer comes out with one that is as good as a Bold's keyboard, I'm sticking with RIM.

2.8 is small for a touchscreen in general. No matter if it is traditional or not. That's why sliders are pretty successful. You get the best of both worlds. A physical keyboard and a touchscreen that is still normal to larger sizes.

Yes flick scrolling and pinch to zoom will be great. On such a small screen, pinch to zoom will be necessary. If people think selecting things on larger touchscreen is hard, how easy do they think it will be on 2.8?

I think the device will be great, I was waiting for a Bold touch since the original Bold came out. Unfortunately , this rumor took way too long to become a reality. After coming from a tradition touchscreen, I wouldn't be able to use a small screen. Something like the Torch would work much better for me. Although, I want nothing to do with OS6.1 as I am waiting for RIMs real focus, QNX on smartphones.

That's great that you own an iPad and Android device. According to the other poster, you qualify as a RIM basher.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-13-11 at 02:51 PM.
    04-13-11 02:49 PM
    2.8 is small for a touchscreen in general. No matter if it is traditional or not. That's why sliders are pretty successful. You get the best of both worlds. A physical keyboard and a touchscreen that is still normal to larger sizes.

Yes flick scrolling and pinch to zoom will be great. On such a small screen, pinch to zoom will be necessary. If people think selecting things on larger touchscreen is hard, how easy do they think it will be on 2.8?
    That's why the trackpad is still crucial.
    04-13-11 03:04 PM
    That's why the trackpad is still crucial.
    Yup. It is great for a smaller screen. It is on the new Storm as well. Absolutely pointless IMO. I'd probably only use it for copy and paste if I used it at all. Otherwise it is just a waste of space for a larger screened device.
    04-13-11 03:24 PM
    What is BGR, and I'm not an Engadget member. My daily driver is a WP7 device.

I just don't see a point in a 2.8" touchscreen. Waste of battery life for little benefit outside of pinch zooming, and even that is... terrible on a screen that small.
    04-13-11 05:01 PM

That's fine, but media is terrible on a screen that small period, and touch controls are terrible.

A touchscreen is better for navitating applications and within applications, so having one that small sort of defeats the purpose.

The primary use for it will be pinch zooming, and not much else.

Nokia put a 2.46" touchscreen on their new E6 for basically the same reasons.

I just think it's a waste of battery life for very little benefit, and it's not like they aren't coming out with their own 4" full touchscreen device anyways.

Most onscreen keybaords are smart. You enter your text and there are dynamic keys on it. You press done or back and the keyboard goes away. It's not hard, they do it on their touchscreen devices...

I still want to know what BGR is, though, because I have absolutely no clue and have never heard it before...

EDIT: The reason why I say pinch zooming is still terrible on a screen that size is cause the screen size still forces you to scroll and pan MUCH more than a larger device. Plus, I'd look stupid and get chuckled at using a touchscreen on this type of phone, Lol. It makes no sense. It's almost illogical outside of the obvious pinch zoom functionality.
    Last edited by N8ter; 04-13-11 at 05:07 PM.
    04-13-11 05:04 PM
    That's fine, but media is terrible on a screen that small period, and touch controls are terrible.

A touchscreen is better for navitating applications and within applications, so having one that small sort of defeats the purpose.

I just think it's a waste of battery life for very little benefit, and it's not like they aren't coming out with their own 4" full touchscreen device anyways.

Most onscreen keybaords are smart. You enter your text and there are dynamic keys on it. You press done or back and the keyboard goes away. It's not hard, they do it on their touchscreen devices...

I still want to know what BGR is, though, because I have absolutely no clue and have never heard it before...

EDIT: The reason why I say pinch zooming is still terrible on a screen that size is cause the screen size still forces you to scroll and pan MUCH more than a larger device. Plus, I'd look stupid and get chuckled at using a touchscreen on this type of phone, Lol. It makes no sense. It's almost illogical outside of the obvious pinch zoom functionality.

The old Treos had touch screens, a 4 way nav button, and a keyboard on a smaller screen and it worked just fine. When OS6 came out on the Bolds, there were some reviews where people tried touching icons on the screen to do things because it felt like you should be able to do it. Obviously this form factor doesn't appeal to you, but it will appeal to others.
    04-13-11 06:57 PM
    The old Treos had touch screens, a 4 way nav button, and a keyboard on a smaller screen and it worked just fine. When OS6 came out on the Bolds, there were some reviews where people tried touching icons on the screen to do things because it felt like you should be able to do it. Obviously this form factor doesn't appeal to you, but it will appeal to others.
    I agree, it appeals to me. That is why I will look at it and consider buying it. If it didn't appeal to me I would not do those things but I would recognize it might be good for somebody else. Nice concept, easy to grasp, seemingly tough to follow for so many.
    04-13-11 07:08 PM
    Yup. It is great for a smaller screen. It is on the new Storm as well. Absolutely pointless IMO. I'd probably only use it for copy and paste if I used it at all. Otherwise it is just a waste of space for a larger screened device.
    Well, I had a whole dissertation in the works to answer this, but then I realized it's not necessary. Simply put, the Bold Touch is primarily a messaging device with better media and browsing capabilities. For people who intend to use their phone mainly for browsing, media, and/or gaming, this is not the phone for them. For users such as myself who do a lot of messaging but relatively little of the other, this phone is ideal.

As for the usefulness of a touch screen on such a small display, let me just relate my own experience again: very shortly after getting my Torch I had to fire up my old Bold 9000. Aside from realizing how gloriously comfortable that phone is to type on, I found myself tapping the screen to open apps and swiping it to scroll. That was after only one week with the Torch. Besides knocking myself in the head for being an idjit, I realized that there are functions and gestures for which touch screen capability is ideally suited, and there are others for which the trackpad is more appropriate. For some people -- the people this phone is targeted to -- these capabilities are just more important than another 1/8" of display area.
    04-13-11 09:22 PM
    I don't watch videos on my phone, i find it personally pointless and silly. I have a 7" android tablet and a 10" iPad2 if I want portable media on the go.

I disagree on how useful the touchscreen will be on the 2.8". I find myself, as another poster noted, tapping on my old 9700 screen by habit since my daily phone is a 9800. It gives me the choice depending on various factors of either using the trackpad, keyboard shortcut or the touchscreen. Each has its own advantage in different circumstances. It actually works quite well.

We'll see how well battery life is on it, so it's hard to argue battery life factors when the phone hasn't even been announced.

Yes i know how touchscreen keyboards work, i have 3 devices with them. They're also a pain to use in many cases, not as accurate, and definitely not as efficient, even in landscape mode on the ipad.

04-15-11 08:05 AM
    I don't watch videos on my phone, i find it personally pointless and silly. I have a 7" android tablet and a 10" iPad2 if I want portable media on the go.

I disagree on how useful the touchscreen will be on the 2.8". I find myself, as another poster noted, tapping on my old 9700 screen by habit since my daily phone is a 9800. It gives me the choice depending on various factors of either using the trackpad, keyboard shortcut or the touchscreen. Each has its own advantage in different circumstances. It actually works quite well.

We'll see how well battery life is on it, so it's hard to argue battery life factors when the phone hasn't even been announced.

Yes i know how touchscreen keyboards work, i have 3 devices with them. They're also a pain to use in many cases, not as accurate, and definitely not as efficient, even in landscape mode on the ipad.
    The battery is smaller than a 9780 with a bigger touchscreen on it. It's not unreasonable to conclude that the battery life will be factorably less than that of the 9780... It's just a matter of addition and subtraction.

LifeOf(BiggerBattery + LighterComponents) > LifeOf(SmallerBattery + HeavierComponents)

Light Heavy being a comparative term used to describe how much battery power they require relative to each other...
    04-15-11 08:45 PM
    The battery is smaller than a 9780 with a bigger touchscreen on it. It's not unreasonable to conclude that the battery life will be factorably less than that of the 9780... It's just a matter of addition and subtraction.

LifeOf(BiggerBattery + LighterComponents) > LifeOf(SmallerBattery + HeavierComponents)

Light Heavy being a comparative term used to describe how much battery power they require relative to each other...
    Sure, assuming nothing else is different between the batteries. It seems like selective math to me.
    04-15-11 08:47 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD