You think so? What leads you to believe this? I hope you're right because battery life is big for me. The 45nm chipset will definitely improve process time and battery. But I hope we'll still manage at least a day with moderate to heavy usage.
    Because every Android device using this chip is a battery hog. Every comparable Android device using a TI chip or Samsung chip gets better battery life. RIM is cranking it up to 1.2Ghz so it might be a drain. RIM touchscreen devices already aren't known to have great battery life when compared to their QWERTY only devices.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-09-11 03:27 PM
    Because every Android device using this chip is a battery hog. Every comparable Android device using a TI chip or Samsung chip gets better battery life. RIM is cranking it up to 1.2Ghz so it might be a drain. RIM touchscreen devices already aren't known to have great battery life when compared to their QWERTY only devices.
    Very true. I'm glad RIM has been working with Qualcomm already so hopefully they are working on solutions. It'll be interesting to see which platform will offer more efficiency now that they are using similar hardware.
    04-09-11 03:34 PM
    Very true. I'm glad RIM has been working with Qualcomm already so hopefully they are working on solutions. It'll be interesting to see which platform will offer more efficiency now that they are using similar hardware.
    The NOC will automatically help in this department. But maybe RIM figured out a way to use less juice. It seems as if BB OS is less power demanding in general so we'll see.
    04-09-11 03:45 PM
    this will be the hubby's birthday present.
    04-09-11 04:50 PM
    this will be the hubby's birthday present.
    Marry me.....
    04-09-11 06:02 PM
    MSM8255 is largely found in the Android devices where as MSM8655 is the one making it's way into the 2011 Blackberries. The major difference seem to be MSM8655 SoC supports dual mode HSPA+ plus CDMA too and both processors are clock-able upto 1.5Ghz. So both GSM and CDMA Blackberries will have the same QC MSM8655 processor and that makes perfect sense as that would save a lot of time, money and effort for RIM.

MSM8255

Integrated 3G mobile broadband connectivity
    Single mode support for HSPA+ networks – up to14 Mbps downloads and 5.76 Mbps uploads
    Built-in eighth-generation gps engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    Support for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
    Adreno™ 205: Advanced Mobile Graphics
    High-definition (720p) video recording and playback up to 30 frames per second

MSM8655

Integrated 3G mobile broadband connectivity
    Dual mode support for HSPA+ networks – up to 14.4 Mbps downloads and 5.76 Mbps uploads – as well as CDMA2000 1X, 1xEV-DO Rel 0/A/B
    Built-in eighth-generation gps engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    Support for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
    Adreno™ 205: Advanced Mobile Graphics
    High-definition (720p) video recording and playback up to 30 frames per second
    Last edited by sf49ers; 04-09-11 at 10:15 PM.
    04-09-11 10:12 PM
    MSM8255 is largely found in the Android devices where as MSM8655 is the one making it's way into the 2011 Blackberries. The major difference seem to be MSM8655 SoC supports dual mode HSPA+ plus CDMA too and both processors are clock-able upto 1.5Ghz. So both GSM and CDMA Blackberries will have the same QC MSM8655 processor and that makes perfect sense as that would save a lot of time, money and effort for RIM.
    Exactly. I've been saying this forever. People just don't realize how important this is.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 04-09-11 at 11:00 PM.
    04-09-11 10:21 PM
    MSM8655 is used in the thunderbolt, the new incredible, LG revolution and new evo view I think. Its the standard qc chip for the year pretty much
    04-09-11 10:28 PM
    MSM8655 is used in the thunderbolt, the new incredible, LG revolution and new evo view I think. Its the standard qc chip for the year pretty much
    Yet people still say its out of date because its not dual core hahaha
    04-09-11 11:21 PM
    Well, about battery life, they said that the batteries they were using were different. They seemed thicker. Look at the Bold Touch and it's back, look at the size of the battery.
    04-09-11 11:24 PM
    Well, about battery life, they said that the batteries they were using were different. They seemed thicker. Look at the Bold Touch and it's back, look at the size of the battery.
    Well according to the leaked specs from the last few days the new batteries are 1230mAh for the Monaco & Bold Touch. I can't remember but I'm assuming the Torch 2 retains the same 1400mAh since it carries over the same body as the Torch 1.

So when comparing the Monaco to the Storm 2, it actually dropped from 1400mAh. That's a 170mAh drop.

The Bold Touch dropped from 1550mAh that the 9700/9780 had. That's a 320mAh drop.

The battery might look bigger but I think it's thinner to compensate for the new thinner bodies of the new Blackberrys. What this means for battery life is still up in the air. But I've heard they actually provide better battery life than before.
    04-10-11 12:00 AM
    They have found the secret apple has lol
    04-10-11 12:35 AM
    You have to figure that RIM has been using processors and other chips that are behind not only in speed, but efficiency. These new processors have a lot of the functions on them that required additional chips in the older designs. I'm sure that RIM will still be the top of the heap for battery life.

I for one am glad that RIM is going to the same processor/SoC's for both the GSM and CDMA phones because it is much more efficient in both development time and support. They should be able to get new updates out the door quicker, and they should work on both models. They should have thrown Marvell to the curb long ago.
    04-10-11 07:42 AM
    this is awesome, cant wait!
    04-10-11 01:33 PM
    Yet people still say its out of date because its not dual core hahaha
    QC has a dual core chip. This is the standard single core.
    04-10-11 01:39 PM
    More than likely with the speeds of these phones it won't matter what battery we put in them. We will be using the crap out of them, which will effect battery performance for sure.

Usually any phone can do well if you don't use it much.

I am done touting BB's battery life as in today's world it won't matter as much and I will be more than likely having to charge in the car, at work...home. Would be nice if I maybe could get a day, but not holding my breath. These phones just do so much and I really have a feeling that battery life just won't be as big for us anymore.

For me anyway as the battery life is nice, it isn't why I keep a BB. There are many reasons. So if I have to charge half way through the day, so be it.

Bring these phones on already, lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 03:56 AM
    well..they should definitely at least give us 1 day of "heavy" usage, i need at least that
    04-11-11 04:28 AM
    QC has a dual core chip. This is the standard single core.
    I know they have a dual core, but just because its single doesn't mean its out of date like many blackberry haters here are saying.
    04-11-11 01:39 PM
    They have found the secret apple has lol
    Apple sauce.

04-11-11 01:46 PM
    I know they have a dual core, but just because its single doesn't mean its out of date like many blackberry haters here are saying.
    Compared to the dual core version, it is out dated. Compared to the single cores processors on the market, it is one of the top.
    04-11-11 03:48 PM
    Compared to the dual core version, it is out dated. Compared to the single cores processors on the market, it is one of the top.
    What would be the point of having dual cores before the OS can even use the second core? Or at least use it properly. As far as I'm concerned until QNX is on phones there is no need for dual core other than being able to say your phone has it.
    04-11-11 09:15 PM
    What would be the point of having dual cores before the OS can even use the second core? Or at least use it properly. As far as I'm concerned until QNX is on phones there is no need for dual core other than being able to say your phone has it.
    agreed
    10chars
    04-12-11 05:18 AM
    More than likely with the speeds of these phones it won't matter what battery we put in them. We will be using the crap out of them, which will effect battery performance for sure.

Usually any phone can do well if you don't use it much.

I am done touting BB's battery life as in today's world it won't matter as much and I will be more than likely having to charge in the car, at work...home. Would be nice if I maybe could get a day, but not holding my breath. These phones just do so much and I really have a feeling that battery life just won't be as big for us anymore.

For me anyway as the battery life is nice, it isn't why I keep a BB. There are many reasons. So if I have to charge half way through the day, so be it.

Bring these phones on already, lol!

It wasn't that long ago I measured time between charges in days. With todays phones time between charges can be measured in hours. Battery life is important to me.

I have an expectation of at leAst 18 hours with heavy usage.

04-12-11 05:50 AM
    I agree with this. I am just saying that compared to the dual core version, the single core version is outdated.
    04-12-11 10:07 AM
    I agree with this. I am just saying that compared to the dual core version, the single core version is outdated.
    That's like saying next to my six core i7 990x all other processors are outdated, which is obviously not the case.

04-12-11 10:15 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD