I tried to post this elsewhere and wasn't able to post in that section.

Further, I did a search but nothing seems to be able to specifically answer my question.

If I have a link that begins with "ftp" off of a website, how can I make that playable on the phone?

For example, I want to listen to an interview that a website has hosted. They have it hosted on their site as an FTP. I either paste that into the browser or click it and try to take myself there.. Either way, it won't work on my handheld.

Do I need to install software?
    11-09-08 02:39 PM
    11-09-08 03:08 PM
    Thank you much, graceless.

It says free and then tells you it's going to cost 10.00 to get the software. Hmm... I had hoped it was free.
    11-09-08 03:13 PM
    Sorry about that. Try this also:

Pader Sync Free Mobile FTP Client
    11-09-08 03:18 PM
    You rock, thanks so much. You must be a good Eugoogolizer! (think: Zoolander)

I tried googling it for reviews and I see none.

I will install it, it will work for a minute and then my phone will start sizzling, smoking and then basically explode. I can see it now

Thanks!
    11-09-08 03:22 PM
    File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is part of core internet function. It is an effecient way to move large data files.

Try using Media / Explore. It can handle FTP protocol, if not disabled by a BES policy.

Disable Media Manager FTP Access

Description
    This rule specifies whether applications can access the file transfer protocol channel from the media manager tool of the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.

Default setting
    The default setting is False.

Minimum requirements
    Java� based BlackBerry device
    BlackBerry� Device Software Version 4.2
    BlackBerry� Enterprise Server Version 4.0 SP6
    BlackBerry� Connect™ Transport Stack Version 4.0 (internal)
    Exceptions
    The BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Novell� GroupWise� does not support this IT policy rule.
    11-09-08 03:24 PM
    I'm quite a noob with this stuff. I want to listen to an interview that is 55 minutes long that is hosted on a website. The interview itself is in FTP format.

How can I use Media/Explore to open this FTP file on my handheld? And thanks for the replies you guys
    11-09-08 03:43 PM
    the problem is that ftp is File transfer protocol computers usually handle downloaded files in different way's Like it will sometimes auto play based on file type or ask you if you want to save or open the file...

ftp is made for the transfer of files not the streaming of them really.. so I am not sure that what your asking for even exists.

The media players on computer's often have the ability to buffer media on most protocol's

so it could be a limitation in the media player on the device

Its hard to say what really is the problem or what will solve the problem. I haven't had much experience with trying to stream from FTP on a mobile device but I have seen many devices grab files off of FTP and download them to the device.
    Last edited by noaim; 11-09-08 at 04:05 PM.
    11-09-08 03:58 PM
    I have been experimenting with Media / Explore. There are no obvious provisions for file transfer using FTP.

However, Browser lets me to navigate to the directory of a FTP server and view files. Selecting an Image file opens correctly. That means, it does work from browser.

What is the file name and extension you are trying to download?
    11-09-08 05:22 PM
    Sorry about that. Try this also:

Pader Sync Free Mobile FTP Client
    Thanks for the link. I've been looking for an FTP program that I could transfer files to and from my blackberry and linux server. I just got to get used to using "Q" and "P" as menu keys. Are there any other FTP programs for Blackberry that you recommend?
    11-09-08 08:42 PM
    Those are the only 2 I know. The first was posted in a thread
    on this site a while back. Pader I used when I worked from home
    while laid up a couple weeks in the summer.
    11-09-08 08:48 PM
    I tried using the FTP connection within Rove Mobile File Manager 2.5.36
    When I try to connect to a remote folder, the following meesages appear

1) Fetching server root folder...

2) File system diconnected...OK
    or
    2) Unexpected exception
    Last edited by cdf3; 11-09-08 at 09:23 PM.
    11-09-08 09:18 PM
    Never got around to using that one and I don't think it is still available.
    11-09-08 09:20 PM
    It's not. Got a copy that was posted on site about a month ago.
    11-09-08 09:30 PM
    I tried using the FTP connection within Rove Mobile File Manager 2.5.36
    When I try to connect to a remote folder, the following meesages appear

1) Fetching server root folder...

2) File system diconnected...OK
    or
    2) Unexpected exception
    This error occurs because you're trying to do FTP using BIS and RIM blocks it. Remember, with BIS you can only access www and e-mail.

So, go to Mobile File Manager setting and in the Application Settings change the connect using to TCP/IP (you need a data plan from your ISP) or use wi-fi.
    01-05-09 04:57 PM
    I too tried Rove Mobile File Manager and got the same error. I checked my application settings and they were correctly set on TCP/IP.

Any other ideas?
    01-07-09 08:14 AM
    Sorry no other ideas with Rove

But you can try the beta version 2.1 of BeFTP downloading it at:
    http://www.beiks.com/download/beta/BeFTP2.jad
    01-07-09 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD