I'm looking to switch back to a BlackBerry device. In an effort to keep the reasons why short..I just have grown sick and tired of droid phones. Many reasons..

So I go to 2 different carriers. I know I'll have to put a deposit down because I don't have great credit. At 2 different locations and talking to 4 different employees there I had everyone giving me the hardest time possible with having a phone shipped to said store for an interactive display. The common thing said to me was that if I didn't have a business that its not worthwhile. Among other things...the company is going under, its not an "everyday device", I'm downgrading, poor selection of apps, no variety of devices, poor OS, poor builds. Now..the biggest reason for me posting this is to find out if much of that is true? (Looking to buy either the Passport or Classic)...and if anyone has had issues like that?
    07-21-15 04:19 PM
    Can I ask what the phone will most commonly be used for? What apps do you use daily other than the phone app and how important are they to you? I'll do my best to give the most partial response possible. Just have one advice, if someone on this mentions "getting things done" or "productivity", run far far away
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    07-21-15 05:25 PM
    What did you expect? The sales force are ios and android users. BlackBerry really doesn't have carrier sales teams any more they all got fired a few years back. So anything the sales people know about BlackBerry comes from half truths, rumors, and outright lies.

I recommend buying your BlackBerry from Amazon and is you don't like it send it back within the return window. Amazon is really easy to deal with. I have never had a bad buying experience with them

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 05:34 PM
    I'll most likely use it for calls, texting, Twitter...thats it.
    07-21-15 05:42 PM
    If that's it, you're golden with a BlackBerry. The best part will be the call quality, crisp and clear.

But your interactions with carriers, those are the reasons I've ordered the two BlackBerry Passports in my house online. Tired of arguing with vendors as to why, as a customer, I have the right to buy what I want.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 05:47 PM
    Can I ask what the phone will most commonly be used for? What apps do you use daily other than the phone app and how important are they to you? I'll do my best to give the most partial response possible. Just have one advice, if someone on this mentions "getting things done" or "productivity", run far far away
    Impartial you meant...? :-))

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-21-15 05:51 PM
    If that's it, you're golden with a BlackBerry. The best part will be the call quality, crisp and clear.

But your interactions with carriers, those are the reasons I've ordered the two BlackBerry Passports in my house online. Tired of arguing with vendors as to why, as a customer, I have the right to buy what I want.

Posted via CB10
    If i do that do I just take it to a carrier to be set up?
    07-21-15 05:54 PM
    I would just do it online. Carrier stores aren't in Blackberry's bag right now and they don't really know anything about the Blackberry phones they might happen to carry. For what you want it for you'll enjoy a Blackberry.
    07-21-15 06:06 PM
    Truth be told I didn't want to leave. I had the BlackBerry flip phone. I literally got harassed into switching
    07-21-15 06:08 PM
    If that's what you're doing with it I'd just get a Q10, unless you really want something bigger. You can find one new for probably a third the price of a Classic and a fourth the price of a Passport. That's about what I use mine for and I love it.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 06:10 PM
    If that's what you're doing with it I'd just get a Q10, unless you really want something bigger. You can find one new for probably a third the price of a Classic and a fourth the price of a Passport. That's about what I use mine for and I love it.

Posted via CB10
    Good advice on the price... :-)
    (and keyboard can be swapped easily if problem occurs)

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-21-15 06:23 PM
    If i do that do I just take it to a carrier to be set up?
    If you order one from Amazon or Shop BlackBerry it will arrive unlocked. All you need is a SIM card from your carrier with a plan on it. Insert the SIM card and the onscreen instructions walk in you through the same setup you'd do in store.

If you order one off a carrier website, it's the same deal, you just have to get the SIM from the carrier you ordered the phone from.

I went in to Virgin Mobile to get a SIM for my unlocked Passport, they offered to set it up for me even though I didn't buy the phone from them. I declined as I know more about BlackBerry 10 than my local shop does.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 06:24 PM
    Be careful to not take it to cdma network only carriers. Not sure if your in the U.S., but that's an issue here. Elsewhere I'm pretty sure it's all gsm
    07-21-15 06:29 PM
    Thank you all I really appreciate it
    07-21-15 07:26 PM
    Even with bad credit you can get a decent BlackBerry for a little over 200 us on amazon. Why go through the hassle of the carriers?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 08:51 PM
    I didn't know that was a possibility
    07-21-15 08:53 PM
    So I go to 2 different carriers. I know I'll have to put a deposit down because I don't have great credit. At 2 different locations and talking to 4 different employees there I had everyone giving me the hardest time possible with having a phone shipped to said store for an interactive display. The common thing said to me was that if I didn't have a business that its not worthwhile. Among other things...the company is going under, its not an "everyday device", I'm downgrading, poor selection of apps, no variety of devices, poor OS, poor builds. Now..the biggest reason for me posting this is to find out if much of that is true? (Looking to buy either the Passport or Classic)...and if anyone has had issues like that?
    The big reason the carriers try to talk you out of a BB10 device is because lots of BB10 devices have been returned once the buyer discovers the app/services ecosystem limitations, or just struggles with the gesture-based UI. With such low sales, the carrier has trouble refurbing them and sending them back out like it does with more popular phones, and that means the carrier ends up eating most of the cost of the phone when they sell it to another company that exports refurb phones to other countries.

I get that you're frustrated, but the carriers were burned, badly, by BB several times, and sales have fallen to such low levels that the risk to the carrier is very high - thus their "limited interest" in selling BB phones. They're frustrated too. The folks who recommended buying directly (ideally from Amazon) are steering you in the right direction.
    21stNow and SteveFromJersey like this.
    07-21-15 08:54 PM
    I have little knowledge of buying devices off anything other than the carrier. I appreciate it
    07-21-15 09:08 PM
    I didn't know that was a possibility
    A bit ago Groupon had new BlackBerry Q10 for I think $130. These were unlocked GSM phones so it's AT&T or T-Mobile or something like Straight Talk, no Verizon or Sprint. But if they're still there that's a fantastic deal.

Posted via CB10
    SteveFromJersey likes this.
    07-21-15 09:20 PM
    Just search your local buy and sell sites, meet in person to check device. Sometimes you luck out with someone just wanting to get rid of a BlackBerry cheap! I just picked up a Q10 for $80 and almost in mint condition. The battery door had a scratch on it so I ordered a new door cheap off ebay

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-21-15 09:31 PM
    Does Amazon offer them new? And is their much difference in the Q10 and Classic?
    07-21-15 09:33 PM
    Q5 also great physical keyboard phone for text and calls and less expensive than q10.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 11:39 PM
    Does Amazon offer them new? And is their much difference in the Q10 and Classic?
    You will have better luck getting a Classic new. Q10 is out of production though they may have some left overs.

The difference is the screen size and the tool belt which since you haven't had a BlackBerry since the flip version I doubt you will really care about.

Functionally they are very similar.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 09:05 AM