So I got a BB Curve 8320 (my first BB device) on September 17, and immediately faced random reboots. In the 10 days I had the device I never got 24 hours of continuous uptime. Still, I really wanted to like the device so I was willing to forgive a daily reboot or two, even though I can go for more than a week before rebooting the Moto Q Global I used with AT&T.

Unfortunately, the rebooting problem increased yesterday with four reboots in one day. Today at the third reboot I said that's it. I took the Curve to a store for a replacement. I really wanted another Curve assuming mine was plain defective and that with a stable BB I would be happy. The replacement is even worse than the unit replaced. I lost count of how many times it has rebooted on me, without me adding a single contact, calendar entry, let alone third-party application.

I'm so frustrated I don't want to go back to the store anymore. I'd rather wait for T-Mobile to send me a refurb from warranty replacement so I can then sell that replacement on eBay and stay with the phone that has proven itself really reliable to me even in this time of crisis, my now-unlocked Moto Q Global.
    Last edited by CeluGeek; 09-27-08 at 09:01 PM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
    09-27-08 07:54 PM
    You must be just bad luck.. because I have never ahd to reboot my curve ever.

On the otherhand.. I had to reboot, HTC touch, Palm treo, moto Q and other windows OS device several times a day or weeks.

I have never heard of anyone having to reboot their blackberry on a regular basis.
    09-27-08 07:59 PM
    I have never heard of anyone having to reboot their blackberry on a regular basis.
    There are many, many threads here about pulling out the battery or doing an ALT+RightShift+DEL keystroke to reboot a BB so you can reclaim leaked memory.

But that's not the issue here. I don't reboot my Curve - it reboots on its own when it darn pleases. That's why it isn't a reliable phone - literally, I've lost calls because of the reboots and the almost 3 minutes it takes for the BB to be up and running again after one.
    09-27-08 08:05 PM
    I have read the curves with old OS have problem with media card placed in. You need to format the media card with your BB if that is the case
    09-27-08 08:14 PM
    Wow! sorry to hear that...sounds like the problem(s) I had with my Treo755p before switching to the Curve,since then I've been trouble free.I love my Berry.
    09-27-08 08:16 PM
    Hmmmm..... Don't know why u are having so much probs. Go get another replacement! You shouldny have these problems!! They may have gotten a bad shipment!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 08:18 PM
    There are many, many threads here about pulling out the battery or doing an ALT+RightShift+DEL keystroke to reboot a BB so you can reclaim leaked memory.

But that's not the issue here. I don't reboot my Curve - it reboots on its own when it darn pleases. That's why it isn't a reliable phone - literally, I've lost calls because of the reboots and the almost 3 minutes it takes for the BB to be up and running again after one.
    What OS are you running? The factory load? Here's a link to problems with OS4.5 on 8820's: http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/phone-rebooting-48447/
    09-27-08 08:22 PM
    What OS are you running? The factory load? Here's a link to problems with OS4.5 on 8820's: http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/phone-rebooting-48447/
    Mine is a Curve 8320. The OS is v4.2.2.180, Platform 2.5.0.36.
    09-27-08 08:24 PM
    I have read the curves with old OS have problem with media card placed in. You need to format the media card with your BB if that is the case
    I haven't even put a memory card at all in the replacement unit.
    09-27-08 08:26 PM
    Do you have a micro SD card in them? I had the same problem with a new blackberry once, and it turned out to be a bad micro SD card. It worked fine with no card, and also fine when I tried a different card. That is the only reason I can think of why you would have the same weird problem on 2 different normally very stable blackberries.

Try removing the micro sd card, if you have one. Good luck with it.
    09-27-08 08:28 PM
    OK, just saw you already answered the media card idea.

What about the sim card? What else could be constant with the 2 different blackberrys?
    09-27-08 08:32 PM
    So sorry to hear of all your trouble with several phones. I would be frustrated too! I agree with a previous post.....sounds like a bad batch of phones.

I had several Treo's in the past and had all the same problems on a dailey basis with those. Since I switched to a Curve, haven't had any problems.... well, one little one....Battery Button totally popped off!

Hope you stick with it and it works out, because it is a really good phone.
    09-27-08 08:33 PM
    I haven't even put a memory card at all in the replacement unit.
    are you trying to put any new apps on it, because if both are having the same issue it may be more of something bad going on it.

A way to resolve it could be loading a different OS, thats not official from your carrier but is an official release, YOU DO TAKE THE CHANCE OF BRICKING YOUR BERRY, have to say that before someone kills me for not warning anyone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/

there is the link to the forum discussing it
    Last edited by morales0416; 09-27-08 at 08:35 PM. Reason: for got to put the link
    09-27-08 08:33 PM
    Could it be some sort of issue with your carrier?
    09-27-08 08:40 PM
    CeluGeek: This is really a simple decision. If the BB is not working
    for you and your carrier can't resolve your issue, find another
    device that satisfies your needs and functions as you expect it
    to.

If that is something other than a BB, so be it. I can say with total
    certainty if I were having your issues I would not be
    looking to upgrade the OS or change any software, I'd be
    looking for something other than a BB.

It should work out of the box without you having to load
    a new OS,calling your carrier Tech Support or be looking for forum help.
    My $0.02
    09-27-08 08:44 PM
    are you trying to put any new apps on it, because if both are having the same issue it may be more of something bad going on it.
    With both the original Curve and the replacement one, I've had the spontaneous reboots even without putting any third-party application. Also without adding a single contact, task, calendar appointment, wallpaper, theme or ringtone. This is an out of the box TMobile-branded software.

The only changes I've done - common to both devices is that I set the font size to 12-point and the display and input language to Spanish. In both devices I've reverted both changes and still had the problem.

One extra thing I've done is to turn off the MyFaves display (I HATE IT). If that's causing the problem, sorry but keeping MyFaves turned on is not acceptable for me.

EDIT: I did try with the MyFaves displayed enabled and still no difference.
    Last edited by CeluGeek; 09-27-08 at 11:44 PM.
    09-27-08 08:51 PM
    Could it be some sort of issue with your carrier?
    Who knows. This is a T-Mobile device with a T-Mobile SIM card. While I'm on a T-Mobile network for all foreground purposes, for technical purposes it is the SunCom network, as it is still 310-490 instead of 310-260. When I had the Shadow and now that I've put my SIM on an unlocked Moto Q9, those phones assume I'm roaming because I'm not on a 310-260 network, even though SunCom was purchased and rebranded to T-Mobile. So, could it be that the Curve doesn't like to be "roaming"?
    09-27-08 08:55 PM
    I would see if they would let you change the SIM out. If it still does it they replace the phone again. Or come back to at&t when we get the great looking blue 8320, lol.
    09-27-08 09:02 PM
    Its a Hardware issue just isnt working for you. as AG said it maybe that WinMo will be better for you, but if you dont want to give up on your berry take it to the store and have tech support look at it
    09-27-08 09:02 PM
    I agree with contractor slim. Iused to work for a third party dealer. Sometimes stores get a bad batch of phones. I would take it back and try again. Maybe there's another store in your area. You know what they say. Third times a charm! Goodluck, hope it works out for ya.

09-27-08 10:57 PM
    When you got your phone swapped out did you keep your original battery or did you get a new one as well? There have been reports that a bad battery will cause the phone to reboot. If you kept your old battery because it was already charged that could very well be the culprit.

09-28-08 02:48 AM
    CeluGeek: This is really a simple decision. If the BB is not working
    for you and your carrier can't resolve your issue, find another
    device that satisfies your needs and functions as you expect it
    to.

If that is something other than a BB, so be it. I can say with total
    certainty if I were having your issues I would not be
    looking to upgrade the OS or change any software, I'd be
    looking for something other than a BB.

It should work out of the box without you having to load
    a new OS,calling your carrier Tech Support or be looking for forum help.
    My $0.02
    Gotta agree with AG, If it doesn't work out of the box, and tech support can't fix it on the first go around, then I don't need it.
    09-28-08 05:33 AM
    Uncommanded random reboots right out of the box sounds like bad hardware. One question - was the replacement complete box or did you keep the battery from the original?

The only other cause which comes to mind would be lack of free memory, but you would probably have seen the other warnings like slow performance first, and it would be more likely if you had been making heavy use and adding weird applications - but it didn't let you do that.

There are plenty of satisfied users out there who do not experience uncommanded reboots, so it could be you got a bad specimen. To get two bad ones is extreme bad luck, and the probability of getting a third one in succession is unbelievably small unless there's a batch fault in manufacturing.

Your choice whether to dump the 8320 or not, it depends whether you really like BB or want to go back to a different phone. If you want to give BB another go I would tell the store they have one final chance to supply working hardware, and if they fail it gets escalated to Consumer Protection or whatever you call them in PR, and you sue the store for failing to provide as contracted. Should at least get a real manager trying to convert you to Happy Customer.
    09-28-08 06:06 AM

On the otherhand.. I had to reboot, HTC touch, Palm treo, moto Q and other windows OS device several times a day or weeks.

I agree with u on that one, I always had to reboot my htc mogul phone because it always freezes..

09-28-08 07:04 AM

i second that. i reboot my curve once a week only because verizon said that it is a good idea. other than that i have uninterrupted up time
    09-28-08 07:38 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD