Hello

I just started using a BlackBerry Currve 8520 and today out of the blue the screen turned white and has a ticking hourglass on it. This was not prompted by any downloads or anything (i've not downloaded anything recently or even used the browser or email).

Taking out the battery for long periods of time (up to an hour) did not help as the screen turns back to the white with the hourglass as soon as the battery is replaced.

Pressing 'alt+caps+del' once did nothing. Pressing it again turned the screen black for a few seconds and then turned back to the white ticking clock screen. Doing this reboot twice produced the same result.

Holding down the power button for 20 seconds did nothing.

I saw a reboot on this forum which requires the use of windows pc, but I am a Mac user so no good. I've also followed most reboots featured on this forum with no luck (as above).

I cannot make any calls to my provider at the moment nor can I go to their shop for another few days (I am currently travelling).

Does anyone know what to do?

Many thanks!
    07-17-10 12:41 PM
    find a PC and reload the OS onto the phone.
    07-17-10 12:57 PM
    Seriously? There is nothing else that can be done?

Also, sorry to sound incredibly ignorant here, but what does it mean exactly reload the OS onto the phone? From where, how etc? I never downloaded/installed anything onto it via the Mac.

Thanks.
    07-17-10 01:10 PM
    Take it to your carrier and let them earn their money for a change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 01:24 PM
    Seriously? There is nothing else that can be done?

Also, sorry to sound incredibly ignorant here, but what does it mean exactly reload the OS onto the phone? From where, how etc? I never downloaded/installed anything onto it via the Mac.

Thanks.
    RIM devices and Apple do not play very well when i comes to firmware/software. You can download the Desktop Manager for Apple and download the OS your phone uses, from your carrier and possibly install it that way. but i am thinking you will need a PC so you can install it.

Other than that, there is nothing that can be done.

I do not for-see your carrier helping you, they'll tell you to download the desktop manager, the firmware/software and to install it via that way. But with a PC you can force-feed the OS to the phone and bypass alot of stuff.
    07-17-10 01:32 PM
    Thanks.

Though I'm not sure how much sense this makes to me...Maybe after a mac everything else is super-complicated. (i.e. why would you need a PC to reboot a phone, etc. Had no idea that a smartphone would be dependent on another device for a simple reboot).

Is this something that tends to happen frequently on a BB?
    07-17-10 03:27 PM
    Thanks.

Though I'm not sure how much sense this makes to me...Maybe after a mac everything else is super-complicated. (i.e. why would you need a PC to reboot a phone, etc. Had no idea that a smartphone would be dependent on another device for a simple reboot).

Typically no. but it does happen from time to time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 03:37 PM
    I've managed to get through to the network provider and they said that the handset has to be replaced so they are sending a new one out.

Thanks for the help!
    07-17-10 03:49 PM
    Thanks.

What they are talking about isn't a simple reboot. Software is fallable, and sometimes it fails badly enough that you just need to reinstall it and start over. That's what reloading the Operating System will do. Those familiar with Windows machines are used to this, I reinstall Windows every couple years just to keep the machine running well. (Mac's aren't immune either, I've got both.)

A smart phone is a small computer, it'll make a little more sense if you think of it that way.
    07-17-10 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD