RIM To Launch Front Facing Camera On Blackberry Lineup Early Next Year — tinyComb

interesting...trying to get a 1up on apple? I know apple fanboys have been asking for a front-facing camera for awhile now.

Or do you think its just a add-ons for video conferencing for business with no motivation to compete?
    07-31-09 09:11 PM
    Front facing cameras are already available on some Nokia and HTC devices. I don't think RIM is doing it to one up anyone, just adding something to their phones that will eventually be standard on all smartphones. Since RIM still has the reputation as the business phone. The ability to have live video conferencing would be a strong selling point. According to the interview, they don't seem too worried about Apple as long as AT&T is in the picture.

I asked him what RIM planned to do if the iPhone were to have upgraded their hardware to include a front-facing camera. His response was �as I said before, we are fortunate to have our relationships with many different carriers, some of which can handle something like live video-conferencing�. In other words, he and his team weren�t worried about the iPhone launching front-facing video-chat so long as they are with AT&T
    Wow AT&T's network gets no respect.......
    07-31-09 09:21 PM
    I have no idea, I like the camera the way it is.
    07-31-09 09:23 PM
    Wow AT&T's network gets no respect.......
    Im not a fan of att in any respect, nor verizon, but verizon gives me the best coverage so i go for them. Not to say I HATE ATT, its just the service here is sooo bad
    07-31-09 09:23 PM
    I have no idea, I like the camera the way it is.
    Me too! I have no use for a front facing camera- never have!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 10:55 PM
    They'll bring out a front facing camera so that Rim can restart playing with their phones and selling them to us with differences.

front facing camera, wifi, full qwerty keyboard w/trackball
    front facing camera, 3g, full qwerty keyboard w/trackpad
    front facing camera, touchscreen, 3g

etc etc. Just rehash but leave out something good about each new phone, add a slightly different design and sell it to the peons as a "new and improved" phone.

Bring on the next NEW idea instead of leaving things out and changing, slightly, a design.
    07-31-09 11:33 PM

Same for me. Some people may use it for pictures of themselves or video calling (if it ever happens with berries) but personally I think it would make the blackberry look awful. Literally.

08-01-09 12:20 AM

Same for me. Some people may use it for pictures of themselves or video calling (if it ever happens with berries) but personally I think it would make the blackberry look awful. Literally.

08-01-09 12:21 AM
    I'm waiting tell I can send hologram messages like in star wars.

08-01-09 10:07 AM

Hahah.
    That would be sweet.
    08-01-09 10:30 PM
    Pointless unless it would be kinda neat if you could video chat which is probably the case
    08-02-09 10:57 AM
    As long as it has a camera on both sides, it's going to be sex
    08-02-09 10:58 AM

You just wanna hear a princess saying "Help me Moosci Won Kinobi, you're my only hope."

08-02-09 12:21 PM
    This is an interesting feature, I like it the way it is but I whatever.
    08-02-09 03:27 PM
    My samsung a900 was a flip phone that had a camera that could be turned to face front or back. It was neat. Mostly useless, but neat.
    08-02-09 07:23 PM
    video conferencing.... interesting concept....
    08-03-09 12:01 AM
    My samsung a900 was a flip phone that had a camera that could be turned to face front or back. It was neat. Mostly useless, but neat.
    I loved that phone
    08-03-09 02:49 AM
    They have a few problems to overcome for this to be an effective tool for video confrencing.

1) no one is going to hold their phone at the the exact same focus length for the duration of a call

2) Folks may want to "put their phoen down" during a call so now the device will need either a portable stand or built in one.

3) In order to remain within the confines (frame) of the recording window you usally need to be able to see yourself to make sure you havn't shifted out of them.

4) Distance from Phone to users eye will vary on the user's eyesight. So the camera will have to beable to capture the person at a distance of 10 inches up to 3 feet.

5) Steaming video 2 ways while powering the screen is going to chew through power.
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 08-03-09 at 11:10 AM.
    08-03-09 11:00 AM
    Im not a fan of att in any respect, nor verizon, but verizon gives me the best coverage so i go for them. Not to say I HATE ATT, its just the service here is sooo bad

It all depends on the area that you live in. ATT is strong in some areas where Verizon is not and vice versa.
    08-03-09 03:19 PM
    They have a few problems to overcome for this to be an effective tool for video confrencing.

1) no one is going to hold their phone at the the exact same focus length for the duration of a call

2) Folks may want to "put their phoen down" during a call so now the device will need either a portable stand or built in one.

3) In order to remain within the confines (frame) of the recording window you usally need to be able to see yourself to make sure you havn't shifted out of them.

4) Distance from Phone to users eye will vary on the user's eyesight. So the camera will have to beable to capture the person at a distance of 10 inches up to 3 feet.

5) Steaming video 2 ways while powering the screen is going to chew through power.
    You're right, but maybe you're thinking of industrial strength videoconferencing. I'd think the intent here might be closer to a video chat or phone call than a real business level of videoconference. I could be wrong, of course. The problems you list, and all the other ones, too, might make it impracticable to hold much more than that.
    08-03-09 03:53 PM
    I like the camera the way it is.
    08-03-09 07:11 PM
    They only time you would use video calling is when your sitting somewhere, or in business meeting, since now in most parts you can't use your phone while you drive, you won't be able to do a video call but I'm sure people will still do it

08-03-09 09:44 PM
    Yay, now instead of using a mirror, i can stare at myself on my blackberry!
    08-04-09 11:21 AM
    You're right, but maybe you're thinking of industrial strength videoconferencing. I'd think the intent here might be closer to a video chat or phone call than a real business level of videoconference. I could be wrong, of course. The problems you list, and all the other ones, too, might make it impracticable to hold much more than that.
    I admit due to my heritage I tend to view these things from the standpoint of how it would affect/benefit the hearing impared.

By my standards IF you cant see the hand movemnts or facial expressions fluidily then it isn't Video, but more like stop motion photography.
    08-04-09 11:58 AM
    I heard about this the other day, not a huge deal to me but I think it would be a cool feature to have.
    08-04-09 03:37 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD