Anyone heard rumors about this? to be honest, I am an iPhone user. It was so anticipated that the new 3GS would have a front facing camera that I was surprised it did not. So here is the thing- someone needs to put this feature out there- even if just for the novelty factor- and maybe blackberry could do it.

i think that RIM would have an interesting marketing angle if they had the Verizon guys saying "Can you see me now..."

Thoughts anyone?
    06-15-09 11:45 PM
    That would be kind of interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 12:51 AM
    If it is front facing, how would you see what you are shooting? I would rather have a 3" screen versus a 1/2" view finder. Just my opinion

06-16-09 05:44 AM
    If it is front facing, how would you see what you are shooting? I would rather have a 3" screen versus a 1/2" view finder. Just my opinion

Its for video conversations, at least that's what its used for in Europe :P
    We had phones with 2 cameras for +4 years now, just my recent N95 had it, and damn, its as useless as it gets.
    Video conversations aint gonna be used for another 10 years on phones.
    06-16-09 06:22 AM
    I like it the way it is.

06-16-09 06:27 AM
    I wonder if there is a way to take advantage of this on the Pearl Flip.
    06-16-09 07:42 AM
    Its for video conversations, at least that's what its used for in Europe :P
    We had phones with 2 cameras for +4 years now, just my recent N95 had it, and damn, its as useless as it gets.
    Video conversations aint gonna be used for another 10 years on phones.

I have some experiance in video communications and IMO, with quality compression, you need a constant rate of 250 Kbps upstream AND Downstream.

Thus there is no point of video conversations until LTE is rolled out.

Furthermore for the visual aspects of communication to be effective, the screen would have to be larger than what we are acustomed to. People tend to forget that you need a window to view yourself to make sure you are within the site lines of the camera that is filming you as well as a window for the person(s) you are conversing with.

Whichever device maker figures out a way include video projection into the phone will win this battle. The ability to project an image, about the size of a standard sheet of paper, onto a flat surface will suffice for video communication
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 06-16-09 at 08:50 AM.
    06-16-09 08:46 AM
    My last samsung phone had a forward facing camera for video calls.
    06-16-09 12:53 PM
    I have some experiance in video communications and IMO, with quality compression, you need a constant rate of 250 Kbps upstream AND Downstream.

Thus there is no point of video conversations until LTE is rolled out.

Furthermore for the visual aspects of communication to be effective, the screen would have to be larger than what we are acustomed to. People tend to forget that you need a window to view yourself to make sure you are within the site lines of the camera that is filming you as well as a window for the person(s) you are conversing with.

Whichever device maker figures out a way include video projection into the phone will win this battle. The ability to project an image, about the size of a standard sheet of paper, onto a flat surface will suffice for video communication
    A window what? You mean a small portion of the screen dedicated to your own video feed...

06-16-09 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD