I found out that the Freedom Keychain shuts down if I'm not running a gps program. However, if I leave the switch set to "on" and try to use a gps program that relies on it, it will come back to life and find satellites. My question is: does leaving the switch on drain the Keychain's battery? Should I turn it off until I'm ready to use it?
    12-30-08 11:33 AM
    It will drain the battery quicker on it AND your phone as they communicate via bluetooth. Why do you need it? the 8330 has GPS.
    12-30-08 11:35 AM
    He needs it because USCellular has a lot of problems with the internal GPS. Here's where I helped him earlier: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/fre...eceiver-53937/

Your answer re the power usage is correct.
    12-30-08 11:44 AM
    It's strange, but the internal gps has been working better lately, although still not as good as the Keychain. Also, I have downloaded Telmap and so far it works great with the internal gps. It takes a couple of minutes to lock on, but it eventually does. Also, I actually have voice navigation, something that never worked right with Nav4All and AmAze.
    12-30-08 01:11 PM
    From what I understand, the Keychain GPS puck will trump the internal GPS chips on most phones.

As stated, the puck will drain if left on, and will drain your phone if paired.

I love mine though (got it based on Jeff's recommendation)... use it with TeleNav, and I am a huge fan.
    12-30-08 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD