I am thinking of buying the Freedom Keychain GPS receiver and was wondering if anyone here who is using it would comment on it.

1) Does it work well?

2) Does it work consistently?

3) If I have it on my keychain does it work while in the ignition?

4) Or does it need to sit on the dashboard for better reception?

Thanks in advance and any other comments are welcomed.
    11-03-08 06:17 AM
    I am thinking of buying the Freedom Keychain GPS receiver and was wondering if anyone here who is using it would comment on it.

1) Does it work well?

2) Does it work consistently?

3) If I have it on my keychain does it work while in the ignition?

4) Or does it need to sit on the dashboard for better reception?

Thanks in advance and any other comments are welcomed.
    I love my Freedom 2000. It works great in the ignitionk, or in your pocket, or even inside a small home. It gets reception where my handheld magellan has problems. There would be no need to place it on your dashboard for reception. It will have a satellite lock within 30 seconds from a cold start. The battery will last about 4 hours or so of continuous use. It will go into standby mode if not used so it can save on the battery.

Now for the consistency issue. There is a well documented problem with the keychain which seems specific to Google Maps. The gps will go into standby mode if it is not being used. Google Maps does not seem to be able to send it what it needs to realize it is being used so it will go into standby mode and nto provide your location any more. BB Maps does provide its proper feedback to keep the connection active. A work around for Google Maps is to open BB Maps, push the read "hang up" button to push BB Maps to the background, then open Google Maps. This issue may also show up in other GPS applications, but it is most noticed with Google maps.
    11-03-08 06:58 AM
    COOK, I received a Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 yesterday and I am totaly baffled as to how to get it set up.. I cant find anything here in CcrackB and all the online discusions Ive looked in talk about how great it is but, no instructions on how to install the Nav4All or the Google maps.. I dont have internet on my BB but, using the 8320 Curve with the WIFI I can get on line using the Balckbearry browser, I went to Nav4All and DLed the softare to my phone, but I am confused . I thought the software was suposed to be loaded to the KeyChain 2000.. Could someone give me a walkthru on the installation, and Is Nav4All what I want, or is Google maps ?? What ever is free and can be used for the keychain.. Thanks
    11-11-08 06:33 PM
    There's no user-installed software on the Freedom Keychain 2000. It's just the GPS receiver. You have to install and run the GPS software on your BlackBerry. Unfortunately, you must have internet access for the GPS apps to download their maps. You may be able to download and install Nav4All using wifi, but it won't be able to download maps. Google has the same problem. They both require an unlimited data plan.

There is one app that allows you to download maps in advance to a Media Card. It's designed to be used in areas where you don't have a cell signal. It's called TrekBuddy. You can find it discussed in this forum.
    11-11-08 10:41 PM
    Unfortunately, you must have internet access for the GPS apps to download their maps.
    I have an unlimited data plan but I have a question regarding this. If I were to set up directions, and I enter a region where I don't have access to the internet due to bad service coverage, is my GPS still going to work?
    11-12-08 12:11 AM
    I have an unlimited data plan but I have a question regarding this. If I were to set up directions, and I enter a region where I don't have access to the internet due to bad service coverage, is my GPS still going to work?
    The GPS receiver will continue to work perfectly and pass the lat/lon info to whatever GPS application software you are running, but that software will be unable to download maps for that location, so you'll just see a scrolling blank screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-12-08 at 06:50 AM. Reason: typo
    11-12-08 12:15 AM
    Okay thank you, that makes sense. Pretty much would be the same case if the phone itself had the GPS built in.

Seeing as you have Verizon and appear to have this puck, are there any other negatives you see behind using it?
    11-12-08 12:21 AM
    The Google Maps problem that cook46933 reported is the only problem I'm aware of. I've had mine since April 08 and haven't had any problems with it. I've used mine with Nav4All, BBMaps, amAze, GPSed, and CoPilot Live.
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-12-08 at 09:15 AM. Reason: deleted reference to Garmin s/w based on user feedback that it does work.
    11-12-08 06:57 AM
    I use the keychain, and love it. It works in your pocket and just about everywhere, inside or out. I use mine with garmin on a 8330. 100 for a one time fee. Works better than my stand alone gps. By the way it does work on Verizon as that is what I am on.
    11-12-08 07:36 AM
    I got a Freedom 2000 GPS yesterday that doesn't seem to be working. BB maps sits saying "Searching for satelites" for over 30 minutes. Google maps loads my position once every ten minutes- but it loads where I was approx 5 minutes earlier. Any suggestions?

Update:

I tried BB Maps again while typing the above message. I looked back at my curve and there was a message- application error 143 (or something like that, very tiny font) I clicked the trackball and my Blackberry re-booted...
    Last edited by cvlowe; 11-12-08 at 08:16 AM.
    11-12-08 08:14 AM
    I use the keychain, and love it. It works in your pocket and just about everywhere, inside or out. I use mine with garmin on a 8330. 100 for a one time fee. Works better than my stand alone gps. By the way it does work on Verizon as that is what I am on.
    That's good to know. I'll retract my comment above. The last time I tried it, I downloaded the software, but when I started the install, it aborted with an error message that said it did not run on Verizon. At least one other person reported the same result. I'll have to try it again.
    11-12-08 09:14 AM
    I got a Freedom 2000 GPS yesterday that doesn't seem to be working. BB maps sits saying "Searching for satelites" for over 30 minutes. Google maps loads my position once every ten minutes- but it loads where I was approx 5 minutes earlier. Any suggestions?

Update:

I tried BB Maps again while typing the above message. I looked back at my curve and there was a message- application error 143 (or something like that, very tiny font) I clicked the trackball and my Blackberry re-booted...
    I looked for App Error 143 and didn't find it, so I don't know what might have caused it. As for the GPS, did you successfully pair the Freedom to your BlackBerry? Did you tell BBMaps to use the Freedom as its GPS source? Google won't work reliably with the Freedom, unless BBMaps is also running. This is a known problem that only affects Google Maps.
    11-12-08 09:21 AM
    I looked for App Error 143 and didn't find it, so I don't know what might have caused it. As for the GPS, did you successfully pair the Freedom to your BlackBerry? Did you tell BBMaps to use the Freedom as its GPS source? Google won't work reliably with the Freedom, unless BBMaps is also running. This is a known problem that only affects Google Maps.
    I don't know what that error was, I've never seen it before- and I've never had my BlackBerry spontaneously re-boot either.

Yes, I set options for the BB to use Freedom, then again in BB Maps. I get the blue blinking LED on my BB, and the Freedom has blinking blue and now a solid orange light. It still says searching for satelites and just sits there.

I'm starting to think I just have a bad GPS device.
    11-12-08 10:17 AM
    If you're outdoors with a clear view of the sky and you never get a blinking yellow satellite LED, then it sounds like you have a defective GPS. I thought I read in your other post that it would work for 20 minutes, then stop. Has it changed, or has it never blinked yellow?
    11-12-08 10:29 AM
    Jeff, thanks for the help on the puck, that is a new concept for me, I am starting to see clearer on its purpose.. I will consider now on getting the data plan, this is just one more reason among a few others that I should have it anyway.. If it works well that way , then I wont need the cumbersome Megellan on the windshield, I will also have the option of mounting it on my bike when traveling, less is more in this case.. Thanks again..
    11-12-08 12:25 PM
    I'm interested in the Freedom keychain as well and wanted to get some opinion on it. I am trying to figure out if I should get this for my 8320 (and later possibly for the 8900) or should I just go ahead and get a Garmin.

I've been out of town on business and have been using a co-worker's Garmin Nuvi 200 and am liking that thing!

I need real honest answers and a good comparison scale. I don't need a MP3 player on my GPS but I do like bluetooth features and turn by turn.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    11-17-08 08:16 AM
    If you have read the first 15 posts in this thread, what are your questions? There's not a question in your post.
    11-17-08 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD