I was browsing online some time ago trying to find an actual working GPS for the Storm, but had no luck.
    I remember reading that Verizon actually blocks any GPS other than their own.
    I recently read a post here saying that Nav4All was able to work but I still can't get it to pick up the satellite.
    Does anyone here know a solution for this? I'd really appreciate it. BB Maps just isn't the same thing.
    Thanx in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 02:59 PM
    Make sure your GPS is turned on. You can check by going to

options-> Advanced options -> GPS

Make sure GPS services is set to "Location ON" and Location Aiding is enabled. Enjoy!
    01-13-09 03:29 PM
    Make sure your GPS is turned on. You can check by going to

options-> Advanced options -> GPS

Make sure GPS services is set to "Location ON" and Location Aiding is enabled. Enjoy!
    This was my problem when I was trying to get it to work, so check this option as C0nsequence says. Works fine now.
    01-13-09 03:31 PM
    works for me, i tried Google Maps and currently use BB Maps..
    01-13-09 03:31 PM
    After making sure you GPS is on (see post #2) give Nav4All a few minutes the first time to find satellites. It took mine a little while. Also, make sure you are somewhere that has a relatively good view of the sky.
    01-13-09 03:33 PM
    So if it says it is currently unavailable in Google Maps, does that just mean I'm not getting a clear view of the satellites?
    01-13-09 07:49 PM
    So if it says it is currently unavailable in Google Maps, does that just mean I'm not getting a clear view of the satellites?
    No, that means GPS doesn't (yet) work with Google Maps on the Storm. Google will need to update the app to make it work.
    01-13-09 07:53 PM
    I already have it on Location On. Still doesn't work.

01-13-09 09:01 PM
    Well technically GPS works with Google Maps, just not on Verizon. I know it works on AT&T, maybe Tmobile, but not confirmed. I have seen it work on Google Maps, so I'm eagerly awaiting the time when it does work with Verizon.
    01-13-09 10:31 PM
    I was browsing online some time ago trying to find an actual working GPS for the Storm, but had no luck.
    I remember reading that Verizon actually blocks any GPS other than their own.
    I recently read a post here saying that Nav4All was able to work but I still can't get it to pick up the satellite.
    Does anyone here know a solution for this? I'd really appreciate it. BB Maps just isn't the same thing.
    Thanx in advance.

VZW unlocked the GPS for blackberry.
    01-13-09 10:33 PM
    I know I downloaded google maps saturday and the gps works for me. It's a few blocks off when I'm inside but when i was in my truck it was pretty close as I was driving down the road.
    01-14-09 01:23 AM
    i know my brother is using nav4all on his storm and loves it...i personally just kept BBmaps
    01-14-09 04:30 AM
    VZW unlocked the GPS for blackberry.
    Please do not post if you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. The GPS is unlocked and works for 3rd party apps that are set up for the storms GPS. Google Maps Does not work with the GPS for now but is a Google thing NOT verizon
    01-14-09 07:02 AM
    Please do not post if you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. The GPS is unlocked and works for 3rd party apps that are set up for the storms GPS. Google Maps Does not work with the GPS for now but is a Google thing NOT verizon
    That statement is completely accurate...
    01-14-09 07:07 AM
    Mmmm...sort of. Google maps works fine with the GPS in the Storm if you are in a location that uses GSM instead of CDMA (i.e. Europe). I'm fairly certain that the problem is that Google Maps is trying to look at A-GPS...which Verizon locks. Verizon could fix it by giving Google the unlock codes or Google could fix it by looking at straight GPS data instead of A-GPS.
    01-14-09 07:16 AM
    I know I downloaded google maps saturday and the gps works for me. It's a few blocks off when I'm inside but when i was in my truck it was pretty close as I was driving down the road.
    The GPS is not working. You are getting a cell tower triangulation.
    01-14-09 07:22 AM
    ...at straight GPS data instead of A-GPS.
    I'm not sure of the dynamic of how the software is coded, but the GPS in "regular" GPS mode and the GPS in "aGPS" mode is the same GPS.

I just find it curious that Google Maps is able to access the cell tower triangulation because that is supposed to be one of the "locked out" features.
    01-14-09 07:28 AM
    I'm not sure of the dynamic of how the software is coded, but the GPS in "regular" GPS mode and the GPS in "aGPS" mode is the same GPS.

I just find it curious that Google Maps is able to access the cell tower triangulation because that is supposed to be one of the "locked out" features.
    A-GPS variables are calculated using straight GPS data and locked cell tower data. Thus, the values are locked. So it doesn't matter that the GPS data is sitting there in another variable waiting for Google to use it because they are looking at something that is locked. The program isn't smart enough to look for the straight GPS data source.
    01-14-09 07:34 AM
    My point is... if Google Maps can access the cell tower triangulation data but not the GPS data, why can't the other GPS programs? It's like Google Maps can get one piece of the pie but not the other, and all the other ones can't get the piece that Google does but CAN get the one Google can't.

LOL. Sounds confusing but makes sense
    01-14-09 07:40 AM
    Yeah, Google Maps does not use the GPS that Nav4All and BB Maps uses, at least in the US.

If you have Verizon and say that Google Maps uses true GPS and not the A-GPS, please take a screenshot or image. It will only give me my position within so many meters (the best is 1800m).
    01-14-09 09:41 AM
    Let me also add that Nav4All is awesome AND free. I used the turn-by-turn voice-over thing this morning and I LOVE it. I may start using it even when I know where I am going! I would strongly recommend using this over BB Maps any day of the week.
    01-14-09 09:42 AM
    My point is... if Google Maps can access the cell tower triangulation data but not the GPS data, why can't the other GPS programs? It's like Google Maps can get one piece of the pie but not the other, and all the other ones can't get the piece that Google does but CAN get the one Google can't.

LOL. Sounds confusing but makes sense
    Think of it this way (I'm making this up, but it's how I think of it)...there are four location variables: GPSLat, GPSLon, AGPSLat, and AGPSLon. Every program that reports position is looking at GPSLat/GPSLon. Google Maps is looking at AGPSLat/AGPSLon. AGPSLat/AGPSLon are locked and Google Maps reverts to it's own calculations using cell tower location/strength...data which is not locked. Google Maps could do their own A-GPS calculated location using the cell tower data and GPS data, but they don't. Or they could just look at GPSLat/GPSLon, but they don't.

My best evidence is Instamapper. Instamapper did not work for a long time on the Storm. They recently released a new version that does work. How do you get it to work? You check a box that says, "Disable A-GPS".
    01-14-09 11:07 AM
    ok well a few things my buddy has a storm on VZW and his Google maps works fine, it doesnt show a blue radar around the dot, the dot blinks blue and white, that i believe is when its showing within a range when the dot is just blinking w/o radar its accurate and im on att and mine works the same as well as Nav4All both did well with the Garmin Mobile Trial.
    So CDMA or GSM in US doesnt seem to matter at all, getting decent accuracy with both in NY.
    10-01-09 04:22 AM
    ok well a few things my buddy has a storm on VZW and his Google maps works fine, it doesnt show a blue radar around the dot, the dot blinks blue and white, that i believe is when its showing within a range when the dot is just blinking w/o radar its accurate and im on att and mine works the same as well as Nav4All both did well with the Garmin Mobile Trial.
    So CDMA or GSM in US doesnt seem to matter at all, getting decent accuracy with both in NY.

Is there a question here? Why did you post in a 9 month old thread?
    10-01-09 04:29 AM
    Is there a question here? Why did you post in a 9 month old thread?
    Noobs! Gotta love em!
    10-01-09 04:36 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD