Hey All,

After all the trouble I went through to get my vcard hosted properly I am offering, for a limited time, free vcard hosting at mycontact.me

So if you're interested in having your vcard hosted properly at an easy to remember domain name send me a PM!
    10-13-09 09:21 AM
    What's the point of vcard hosting? Not being smart, just have no idea what the purpose is.
    10-13-09 09:25 AM
    a vCard is like an electronic business card. It allows users to easily download your contact information into their phone, email service, etc. Furthermore, with the release of BB Messenger 5 you can attach a scannable barcode, which can be scanned by most BlackBerry's to add your contact info.
    10-13-09 09:29 AM
    As a further example,

A direct link could be attached to emails, websites, etc to link to your vCard or you could post your barcode almost anywhere to link to your vCard.

You could keep a copy of your barcode on your phone, pull it up and have a friend or acquaintance scan it to easily pass along your contact information.

For more information on barcodes and vCards you can checkout this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...d-bbm5-335154/
    Last edited by CrackdBanqer; 10-13-09 at 09:36 AM. Reason: More info added
    10-13-09 09:32 AM
    I know what vcards are, I just don't see the purpose of having a website host a vcard. I just send it electronically to them.
    10-13-09 05:03 PM
    I know what vcards are, I just don't see the purpose of having a website host a vcard. I just send it electronically to them.
    That depends, on the BB you only have PIN and MMS to send vCards. So if you want to send to a non BB and they don't have MMS, good luck. If they allowed the transfer of a single contact over Bluetooth then there would be no problem but so far they only allow the whole address book.
    10-13-09 05:06 PM
    Thanks Radius

As well, if you aren't right there with the person and don't have their contact info you can't send your info. Like resumes and business cards. Plus, it is much easier for a person to enter something like yourname.socontact.me than it is to send the vcard yourself sometimes, along with the growing popularity of QR barcodes, it becomes even easier.
    10-13-09 05:27 PM
    That's not true at all to both posts above. Open a new email, hit menu, and click on Attach Contact. It sends a vcard attachment for any contact. I do it all the time. As for sending mine to people, I've saved my vcard on my media card in documents, and just attach that as a file.
    10-13-09 05:35 PM
    I am sorry the vCard hosting idea is outdated. It's like hosting your contact photo.

When someone download your vCard and add it to the address book, it's static info on the day that you downloaded. If you update your info the next day, that person will still have your old contact info.

There are services that provide a syncable vCard that will automatically update the info now. It's like the Facebook application and how it links your friend photos to your contact photos. They change as your friends update their photos.

Here is sample service, mnay will follow
    http://crackberry.com/dub-your-mobil...ard-blackberry
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-13-09 at 05:49 PM.
    10-13-09 05:38 PM
    I am sorry the vCard hosting idea is outdated. It's like hosting your contact photo.
    While that is true, it could be that part of the OP's reason for posting his offer has not been clearly stated.

His original offer, in another post, was to host a vcard on his server in an effort to overcome the limitations inherent in phone cameras being able read densely packed information on QR code "barcodes" ... encoding a url, redirecting to the actual vcard hosted on a server, side steps the problem.

Admittedly a kludge, but it does overcome a hardware limitation, and for those who don't have access to a server, and who want to allow others easy access to their full contact information through a barcode (even if the barcode is on the front of their gf's t-shirt), it is/was a nice gesture.
    10-13-09 06:31 PM
    Thanks Karlac,

The vCard hosted on my server would be available for update at anytime. However, due to software limitations would not automatically update on the person who has downloaded the vCard. The primary user of what I am offering is those who wish to have a QR barcode pointing to a properly hosted vCard.
    10-13-09 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD