I got frustrated that I couldn't find a free version of the U.S. constitution that is friendly to my BlackBerry screen, as nice as the Bold screen is.

So I learned how to code HTML and made a VERY basic site that has the text of the constitution in an easy to read, easy to browse format for small screens. The HTML is as basic as it gets, so the site should work on any device, big or small, new or old, that can read HTML.

The text is copied and pasted directly from the U.S. Archives website.

There are no ads, no images, no scripts, no backgrounds, no thing other than the text and the links. Most of the pages are around 1 KB in size with the largest about 4 KB in size. The whole site is <200 KB.

The site also has a downloads section that has a pdf of the U.S. constitution that can be printed on both sides of a single 8.5" x 11" piece of paper.

Mobile Friendly Historic U.S. Documents

The site doesn't collect any data beyond what any typical ISP collects, and, frankly, I don't plan to look at that information much unless the site actually starts slowing down and I need to figure out how to get a better server.

I may add additional documents such as the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, and the Federalist Papers when I feel so inspired. As the site is now, it was about 2 solid weekends of work for me.
    07-28-09 03:32 PM
    Perhaps you can send a copy to the current resident in the oval office. ...

You could also highlight the parts of the constitution ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 07-28-09 at 04:08 PM. Reason: content moderation, non-political
    07-28-09 03:39 PM
    Hey now! I'm not trying to start any big political discussion here.

Just making an announcement!
    07-29-09 05:10 PM
    I got frustrated that I couldn't find a free version of the U.S. constitution that is friendly to my BlackBerry screen, as nice as the Bold screen is.

So I learned how to code HTML and made a VERY basic site that has the text of the constitution in an easy to read, easy to browse format for small screens. The HTML is as basic as it gets, so the site should work on any device, big or small, new or old, that can read HTML.

The text is copied and pasted directly from the U.S. Archives website.

There are no ads, no images, no scripts, no backgrounds, no thing other than the text and the links. Most of the pages are around 1 KB in size with the largest about 4 KB in size. The whole site is <200 KB.

The site also has a downloads section that has a pdf of the U.S. constitution that can be printed on both sides of a single 8.5" x 11" piece of paper.

Mobile Friendly Historic U.S. Documents[/url]

The site doesn't collect any data beyond what any typical ISP collects, and, frankly, I don't plan to look at that information much unless the site actually starts slowing down and I need to figure out how to get a better server.

I may add additional documents such as the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, and the Federalist Papers when I feel so inspired. As the site is now, it was about 2 solid weekends of work for me.
    Thanks for the hard work you put into your site, I really like it. The few mobile copies of the Constitution that I could find had to many frills and were distracting to read. Your site is simple (in a good way) and clean. Thanks again.
    01-22-10 04:41 AM
    Great idea. I have a text copy already on my BB that I created years ago to carry around on my HP LX200 palmtop. There was also a version I created as an const.exe file that allowed searching but unfortunately, that type of executable app is not available for the BB.

But after yesterday's decision on corporate political donations I just quickly searched your pdf version to see if corp are mentioned directly in the Const and did not see it. (and this is as political as I will get!)

Thanks for sharing.
    01-22-10 10:15 AM
    great idea interesting
    01-22-10 10:41 AM
    Very interesting! Good job!
    01-22-10 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD