I can't believe I'm even writing about this, but I've tried NAV4ALL and tried TELENAV (got an error msg in the middle of a route telling me that it couldn't connect to the server --- huh?? and for this they want $99 bucks a year???) I've been searching for a good free GPS/nav program. NAV4ALL just wasn't working for me. For one, maybe it was my phone a curve 8900, but it was showing arrows for turns on a blank background - without any streets --- just not cutting it. So I googled and found a nifty little program from Amazegps.com --- I just downloaded it and gave it a brief trial run -- this baby is FREE and it runs rings around the others in terms of simplicity and features. Now I'm in Florida and judging from the built-in locality (a few features have defaulted locality) the program must hail from Switzerland or some other place out of the US) but its got all the info for my own locality or any place in the US for that matter. What's great is its got turn by turn voice directions, TRUE NAVIGATION experience (view the road in standard car navigation mode) and ENhanced navigation showing you your place on the road against a google-earth-type of true map. SO FAR THIS ONE IS A KEEPER FOR ME -- I am getting rid of everything else except for goodle-earth's google maps which is the only excellent backup to keep around. You can download it o/t/a at wap.amazegps.com >> this has restored my faith that there is indeed still lot's of free goodies to be had if you know where to look ---- I was this close to mulling over paying $9.99 per month for TELENAV ---- forgetaboutit!!! I'll tell you another goodie (for your PC) if you need remote access I used to use gotomypc --- but at $20 bucks a month its no bargain when for FREE you can use logmein - I've used it for over a year ---- it's as good as goto ---- that's all for now. And no - I don't have any interest in either of these companies --- but I believe in encouraging word of mouth for excellent products - don't know how they make $$$ off of it unless they are trying to sell ads and develop a customer base --- but I would encourage you to check out amaze and weigh in with your own reviews.
    04-17-09 01:35 PM
    Website says - doesn't support USA. Any others have any experience with this in the US?
    04-17-09 02:01 PM
    well, they may not "support" the USA, but it sure works here in Florida!!
    04-17-09 09:47 PM
    Amaze GPS is a well known BB navigation program and it works fine in the US.

The interface is a bit unorthodox for a blackberry but the application does work.

Do a forum search on this forum for "amaze" without the quotes and you'll get oodles of hits
    04-18-09 06:51 AM
    There are plenty of maZaeGPS threads here already. This thread was even on page one this morning.

It works fine here in the USA, they just opened up their beta. It was a private beta up until a couple of weeks ago.

It's still a little buggy. They do'nt have a lot of USA support in their search options. You have to go to specific screens to find things in the USA. They are working on that. They also have some problems with audio getting cut off early for some people. It is also a known issue and something they are working on.

But, for a beta, it does a good job. It even works with bluetooth audio. As a free app, it does pretty good.
    04-18-09 09:18 AM
    how come i sent it a text and it didnt text me back with the link?
    04-18-09 10:22 AM
    Is anyone else having issues with satellite signals? I d/l the app but I have not been able to get it to locate any satellites- checking the GPS settings undr options shows the phone is locked in to 8 satellites. How do I get amAze to detect them as well?
    04-18-09 01:09 PM
    amAze works well for me on the 8900. It's a real advantage having unlimited data at the moment, but if they can change it to download maps in advance it could be great.
    04-19-09 03:27 PM
    i downloaded it, and went into options to turn on gps, but it still didn't work. i have a curve 8830. should it work?
    04-19-09 04:21 PM
    Just downloaded not sure about it yet will check and let you know
    04-19-09 08:26 PM
    works a lil slow but so far so good
    04-19-09 08:34 PM
    Hi,

Amaze works really well especially for a free (adware) app. On 3G in Australia it easily keeps up with me at 110km/hr. The default navigation is arrows only and even on Edge it keeps up, predicting the next turn. Using map view uses more data yet still keeps up OK.

AFAIK it uses BIS like Goggle Maps so there is no data fee. I've had data switched off my account and both work.

Sometimes it gives weird directions but mostly it gets you where you need to go. As mentioned above the UI isn't very BlackBerry, you use the # and @ buttons. Maybe it was just ported as a Java app?

-- Robert.
    04-20-09 03:47 AM
    When you see turn arrows without a background or streets it usually is an indication you have slow or no data connection in the area, or you are traveling to fast for it to be able to buffer the upcoming area... Use to happen in the old sprint telnav but the new version works a lot better..
    04-20-09 03:19 PM
    I been using Amaze on my storm for awhile now. works great!
    04-23-09 08:03 AM
    Downloaded to my 8900 and is a very nice program......one thing only, no sound whatsoever !!! any clues? Thank you...
    04-23-09 06:37 PM
    For all that are having problems with amaze picking up sats if you are on verizon you must download the verizon version its at the bottom of the page this may already be posted didn't have time to read all posts
    04-23-09 06:59 PM
    For all that are having problems with amaze picking up sats if you are on verizon you must download the verizon version its at the bottom of the page this may already be posted didn't have time to read all posts
    Carrier specific versions for GPS software?
    That's a little odd. Anyone know why?
    04-23-09 07:17 PM
    Downloaded to my 8900 and is a very nice program......one thing only, no sound whatsoever !!! any clues? Thank you...
    I'm going back 1+ years when I previously installed it and had the same issue. I uninstalled it, and re-installed it giving it full ALLOW permissions as before the install started and it worked. Not sure if it was a coincidence or that is what was needed.
    04-23-09 08:26 PM
    I love this app. It has allows given me very accurate directions. To fix the voice cutoff I just had to update the sound resources.

I would highly recommend it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 10:12 PM
    Anyone notice a memory leak with this app? At first I thought it was OS4.6.0.266 on my Bold that caused memory to drop below 30MB. Since removing Amaze GPS my memory is stable around 51MB.

-- Robert.
    04-24-09 02:51 AM
    Just downloaded this app, we'll see how it works in Canada!

04-24-09 03:06 AM
    Carrier specific versions for GPS software?
    That's a little odd. Anyone know why?
    That's because Verizon requires all 3rd party app to have a valid ID and Password to access the a-GPS data. Verizon also disables Cellsite triangulation and GPS only modes (with the exception of the Storm). BlackBerry Maps is not a 3rd party app so it works. Google Maps can work without any GPS modes (it uses tower ID). But its not very accurate in non GPS mode.
    I highly dough AmzeGPS has paid Verizon for access to the aGPS data and I'm not sure what the Verizon version is using for GPS data.

04-24-09 09:56 AM
    I am in need of a CDMA navigation software for my new Metro 8330 Blackberry. Most of the navigation software is designed for GSM. Any suggestions? Metro does not offer navigation for the blackberry.
    04-27-09 12:56 PM
    I tried it out, and it is pretty nice, but seems pretty clunky to me. The maps did not auto select, I had to scroll to keep them current. Cursor was not stationary with the map moving, and the cursor was giant sized! How does one zoom, I never figured that out.
    04-27-09 03:58 PM
    I tried it out, and it is pretty nice, but seems pretty clunky to me. The maps did not auto select, I had to scroll to keep them current. Cursor was not stationary with the map moving, and the cursor was giant sized! How does one zoom, I never figured that out.
    Set the navigation mode on 3D and center the map on GPS, Center the map on GPS can be found in the main menu. and Under the navigation mode set the mode to 3D. This will move the map and keep it centered on the cursor. As far as the zoom, all you can do is set the scale under the map menu. 500', 1000', 3000', 1 mi, 3mi, etc.
    04-27-09 06:24 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD