I tried download Nav4All on my Blackberry Pearl 8130. I am looking for a free GPS that will work with it. When I tried entering in an address it would say No GPS coordinates. Is there something I have to have for the Nav4All to work on my blackberry? Or a certain setting I have to change. Or any other free GPS for the blackberry. My carrier is Verizon if that helps.
    03-21-08 07:05 PM
    I don't know if that model has a gps built-in. But in any event, unless you get the $10/month service from Verizon, you canNOT use the internal gps. You would need an external gps which can work.

There are a variety of freeware programs including Google maps, BBmaps, gps-ed and others.
    03-21-08 07:19 PM
    Verizon only allows you to enable the built in GPS with their VZ Nav application which costs $9.99/mo

You can use an external bluetooth GPS with Verizon on the 8130. I have one and Nav4All works fine with it.

If you want navigation on the device, you need to go with VZ Navigator. See https://vznavigator.vzw.com/index.html
    03-21-08 08:56 PM
    The 8130 has a gps built in. But to use it you need a data plan. Personnally I use an external gps called Freedom Keychain GPS 2000, thay works perfectly and communicate my BB via bluetooth. So this way I don't use my data plan. I bought it on ebay. I choose the most expensive model that works on 51 satellites worldwide. Feel free to pin me if you need extra info's.
    03-21-08 09:11 PM
    The 8130 has a gps built in. But to use it you need a data plan.
    Verizon doesn't allow you to use the GPS unless you use their own application. See my previous reply.
    03-21-08 09:14 PM
    The GPS doesn't use the data plan, but if you are pulling up maps with any mapping program you will be using your data plan. If you don't think you are, I can't wait to see your face when you get your first bill.
    03-24-08 12:45 PM
    the freedom keychain is great... hang it on your zipper if your out and about...it works great anywhere also shuts down and comes back on as you use gps apps on the phone.. Love it !! the heck with Verizon
    03-25-08 08:40 AM
    Verizon sucks when it comes to GPS
    04-19-08 02:06 PM
    I want to find a federal code with the FCC to see Verizon can legal shut down the GPS that we pay for when we bought the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-08 12:40 AM
    It's unfortunate that Verizon locks down the phone so that the internal GPS won't work with anything else but their own paid application. Even though the BB has GPS built in, it has been deactivated.

About the only options are to use their application (with monthly fee) or get an external puck, like the Freedom keychain GPS. Once paired with your phone and configured to use the puck, pretty much any GPS application should work.
    04-21-08 05:54 PM
    I want to find a federal code with the FCC to see Verizon can legal shut down the GPS that we pay for when we bought the phone.
    THIS IS A VERY GOOD POINT !!!

If i had a Verizon gps-phone and they didn't let me use the gps i would actually return it .. and now that i know about it i am NOT EVEN considering that carrier ..
    on the same note (just FYI) T-Mob's data plan is reasonably priced and they don't lock the GPS, i don't even use 1/5th of the actual airtime they provide .. but when it comes to data .. ehehe .. i definitely get my money's worth !!

also - to some prev. posts -- regardless if you use the internal or a Bluetooth gps, you are not using (or need any) data plans .. GPSrs work independently of your network (you don't even need coverage) .. however, to download maps (i.e. using Gmaps or BBmaps) you better have an unlimited data plan.

The GPS doesn't use the data plan, but ...
    Last edited by APcell; 04-23-08 at 07:17 PM.
    04-23-08 07:11 PM
    Just as a update...If you really don't like the VZ Nav, you can pay for it, leave it running in the background, and then use another GPS program. Still sucks you have to pay, but you can use others
    04-27-08 10:13 PM
    I love how Verizon shows that you can use Google Maps by this link:

Enabling / disabling GPS location - BlackBerry 8830
    04-28-08 09:00 AM
    I'm interested in using this on my AT&T curve, is it possible without paying for their nav service?
    05-02-08 06:16 PM
    I'm interested in using this on my AT&T curve, is it possible without paying for their nav service?
    Yes you can. Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone! and www.amazegps.com are both free.
    Nav4All is the one I like better. amAzeGPS takes too long to load and shut down, and is also quite slow in response to the trackball
    05-02-08 06:25 PM
    Yes, I've used it and it works pretty good being that it is free.
    05-03-08 06:30 PM
    so does this mean that a puck gps with its own software or gmaps WILL work on verizon instead of vznavigator?
    05-04-08 05:10 PM
    Yes. I use a Freedom Keychain 2000 external GPS puck with BBMaps and Google Maps on my Verizon 8830. But note that the Freedom Keychain 2000 does not come with any software. It's just the GPS hardware. You still need software, but there're plenty of free packages: BBMaps, Google Maps, Nav4All, Amaze, to name a few.
    05-04-08 05:55 PM
    cool. my curve gets here on tuesday so I should be able to just pull up google maps and turn on the freedom and see my little blue dot. that would be sweet. I just don't really feel like paying every month for years. I'd rather pay once and just use it...... at least I think that's how I'd like to do it. I use VZnavigator right now on my regular cell and it's not been bad for me, but the idea of Gmaps or something else is appealing.
    05-04-08 06:09 PM
    It's almost that simple.
    • Pair the GPS to the Curve. You only have to do that once.
    • Google Maps doesn't acknowledge the GPS. The Freedom Keychain 2000 has a battery saver feature that turns it off if it doesn't get acknowledged. So you have to run something else in the background that will ack the GPS. I use BBMaps.
    • Run BBMaps. The first time, click Options and select the Freedom GPS. You only have to do that once.
    • Click Start GPS. BBMaps will tell you when the GPS is locked on the satellites.
    • Then close BBMaps without exiting and you can run GMM with no problem.
    Don't be concerned. It's much simpler than it sounds when you first read it. There are a lot of folks here who can walk you through any problems you may have.
    05-04-08 06:20 PM
    thanks, jeff. I'm sure I'll get it figured out once it's all here. I think I will probably go ahead and drop the $$$ for the freedom, although it's double the price of what my friend is using with good results.
    05-04-08 07:55 PM
    At least two different chipsets are in current use by the receiver manufacturers. The Freedom Keychain 2000 uses an MTK chipset. I have not seen any data to support one being significantly better than another. If your friend's unit is a current model, I'd be surprised if there were any observable differences in their performance. Form factor, ease of use of status lights, weight, size, etc. may be areas where one model would be more suitable for a specific use than another. The Freedom Keychain 2000 is very small, and could easily be carried on a keychain.

When you get it working, report back and give us your impressions and observations.
    05-04-08 08:17 PM
    10 dollar a month we all come out cheaper just going and buying one for our car than to pay 10 month that 100 a year and we can get a gps device for 130 less or more one time fee and we will own it and no pay a monthly fee on it and don't forget to buy a warranty for it
    05-14-08 09:56 AM
    On the point of Verizon making people pay for GPS... I remember a certain Presidential Directive that stated that GPS use for end-users would be FREE for ALL USERS. Here's a statement from President Clinton renewing this commitment:

"...plans to modernize GPS by adding two new civilian signals to enhance the civil and commercial service. This initiative is on-track and the budget further advances modernization by incorporating some of the new features on up to 18 additional satellites that are already awaiting launch or are in production. We will continue to provide all of these capabilities to worldwide users free of charge." (emphasis added)

What Verizon is doing is ILLEGAL in any way that I can see it. I understand if they are making people pay to use the VZ Nav software, but in that case, they shouldn't lock the GPS so that it can't be used with other programs. Does this remind anybody else of Microsoft a few years ago? Remember when they didn't allow you to use anything except Internet Explorer and you couldn't uninstall it, etc. We all know what happened there...

Verizon's argument that third-party apps are not safe for the network are complete BS. MILLIONS of users on other networks AND EVEN ON VERIZON'S NETWORK are using these third-party programs. Granted, I have to use a GPS puck now, but the software is still on my BB! It just frustrates the heck out of me that they try to make a cheap buck off of people like this. I will still stick with Verizon because they have a very reliable network, but I will never pay for my GPS service which should be free according to every President of the United States since 1996.

If anybody wants to read the full Presidential Decision Directive (PDD 96), the full text can be found here:

PDD 96

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    05-15-08 03:03 AM
    Will this appliacation work for Geocaching? Can I imput corordinantes and be showen where they are? Or is strictly showing where I am right now?

Regardless, thanks a lot to the person who wrote the program! I wish I had skills like that!!!

Jay
    05-15-08 12:28 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD