I've tried using my gps (Telus) and it never seems to find where I am... Whether I'm downtown, or in the middle of nowhere. Google maps knows where I am, somewhat. Usually thinks I'm about a half mile from where I really am. Is there any way to quick fix these programs, or are there any free gps navigation applications out there to replace the ones I have? Thanks for any replies

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 12:52 PM
    have you tried blackberry maps or windows live search.
    i dont like live search at all but other swear by it.
    what os are you using? when using google maps and you press "0" what does it say with in how many meters?
    03-02-09 12:54 PM
    I like LiveSearch as well as TellMe. Google was spotty for me but worked well. On occasion I got the within 3 meters then 10 minutes later 1600m
    03-02-09 12:56 PM
    Amaze (amaze.com) works great in the lower 48. You might want to try it out.
    03-02-09 01:09 PM
    There is one good free GPS app around NAV4ALL, I use it and it works well. But not as good as dedicated portable GPS because either you have to listen to the voice prompts from BB as it can not keep the screen lit-up for longer time if you do, it will suck out the battery fast while you are driving. Else you have to always remember to keep the backlight ON on BB and keep it charging while you are driving.

This app really helps when you are parked at BIG shopping mall's BIG parking lot and after 2 hours you dont remember where you are parked. This app remembers your parking location with simple menu options and then gives you directions to your car when required. Isn't that cool!!
    03-02-09 01:19 PM
    I blew it. Amaze is amazegps.com
    03-02-09 02:05 PM
    Does the windows live maps actually do gps? Like have it follow me around and show me where to turn? My google maps gets somewhere between 5000 meters... Yeah... My maps never finds satelites. And I'm running OS 4.5.0.131 on the Telus network

03-02-09 05:20 PM
    Yes it does for me... I just hit enable GPS after I have asked for directions.

Much more info here:

Live Search Mobile
    03-02-09 05:23 PM
    I have the same problem with my GPS on Telus. I worked great for the short time I had a Storm but the Curve never finds a sat. I've seen on here that it's turned off with Telus (no matter how much they deny that).

I'm about to get my 4th Curve and am gonna try again (not mainly because of the GPS). If it still doesn't work I'm gonn try the link found on here for turning the GPS on.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Storm and Curve GPS Fix

Good luck
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Storm and Curve GPS Fix
    03-02-09 05:49 PM
    Amaze ate up 15MB of the 20MB free mem I have in my 8320. No thanks.
    03-02-09 08:54 PM
    Cool I'll check it out...
    03-02-09 08:57 PM
    Telmap Navigator has worked very well for me, I like it way better than amaze.
    03-02-09 08:58 PM
    Shoot me a pm I have the fix for that I belive some gave it to me and gave me permission so share it with all who needs it. It takes an hour or so to do all the steps but is well worth it
    03-02-09 09:32 PM
    i think because the blackberry comes with gps not many people we using the payfor gps provided by there carrier so they all got rim to turn it off in the new os
    03-03-09 08:05 AM
    That's not right. They shouldn't turn gps off because they don't think people are paying enough.... I already paid more than enough money for the phone, and I still dish out more money every month t keep the thing running

03-03-09 08:28 AM
    but like i said i have the fix so you can have gps again
    but you have to take time to do it and kinda know what you are doing as you will be in the core programing of the device
    03-03-09 09:32 AM
    Do any of these free apps need internet on your BB? or do they purely work off of phone memory and GPS?
    03-03-09 11:36 AM
    no you have to have internet to use the gps unless you buy a program that will save the maps to an sd card but then you will need close to a gig for jsut maps

not worth it to me
    03-03-09 11:39 AM
    dang, yea i dont think i'd use it that often to kill a gig on my card
    03-03-09 11:57 AM
    Guys I am using NAV4ALL with 4.5.0.110 without any issues. And with turn by turn live navigation. This app downloads the plan from internet server and then uses GPS built in on 8310 Curve for getting the coords for Satellite. But I should agree that the User interface is not that intuitive as Garmin or TomTom dedicated portable GPS navigators. We still have 10 months left to use this service as free.
    03-03-09 01:47 PM
    Hey Bionic4.0. Can we get the GPS fix from you?
    03-03-09 09:23 PM
    Yes ill post the info in the morn. I just got off work.
    03-03-09 09:58 PM
    thx. have a good shift
    03-03-09 10:16 PM
    Will this GPS fix work on Verizon?

03-03-09 10:53 PM
    yes it has the info for all major carriers

i did some searching to come across this. I can not take credit for this i'm simple reposting with permission. i have done it to several blackberry curves with success. if you have any questions please email me direct at [email protected] and i will be able to reply the fastest but the guide handles most of the questions you might have.

The New and Improved Guide
    How to get your GPS to work for BlackBerry.pdf

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Please delete any previous copies and links that you have.
    You have my permission to post this link any place you see fit.

I made a mistake on the guide

the address for the SPC on the 8330 should read
    0x1067ed90, and Length : 1703936

best of luck

how ever i must add that after all the work to get my gps working i dont use it hardly at all but i still never leave home with out it. because i would forget my wallet of my blackberry.
    03-03-09 11:10 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD