" /> Free BlackBerry for Smokers thanks to a government stimulus program - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    A $1 million stimulus program gives free BlackBerries to smokers

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    02-12-10 08:31 AM
    wow thats crazy, but its like they say once you go "crack" you never go back.
    02-12-10 08:56 AM
    Where do I sign up I smoke like crazy lol and my bold has taken a beating lol we are talking cigarettes right lol? Anyways were do I sign

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 09:04 AM
    where do I sign up.
    02-12-10 09:04 AM
    I'm not a born-again-former-smoker, but as an ex-smoker, I could see a Blackberry, in combination with some gum could really provide the "pre-occupation" stimuli that could distract from the nagging urge to smoke.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see what their criteria is for this program. How heavy a smoker does one need to be? Does service come with the device, if the program pays, who provides device support? What happens if you relapse, do you have to surrender the device? What about someone breaking the device...etc...etc...

If it proves to be successful, then I hope they'll use the model to pass on to private industry instead of expanding the program, etc.
    02-12-10 09:15 AM
    I'm on my berry so I can't watch the video,I guess I can google for the sign up form lol

02-12-10 09:24 AM
    I'm not a born-again-former-smoker, but as an ex-smoker, I could see a Blackberry, in combination with some gum could really provide the "pre-occupation" stimuli that could distract from the nagging urge to smoke.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see what their criteria is for this program. How heavy a smoker does one need to be? Does service come with the device, if the program pays, who provides device support? What happens if you relapse, do you have to surrender the device? What about someone breaking the device...etc...etc...

If it proves to be successful, then I hope they'll use the model to pass on to private industry instead of expanding the program, etc.
    Former smoker here as well, cold turkey. Gov't fund free too, go figure. Even if some likely to be gov't funded study shows this as working, it's not the government's job to provide blackberries for anyone, smoker or not. If someone feels that having a blackberry will help them quit, then by all means they should go out and buy one. You know, like everyone else has to.
    02-12-10 09:28 AM
    If someone feels that having a blackberry will help them quit, then by all means they should go out and buy one. You know, like everyone else has to.
    And before everyone says what about the people can't afford it...

About 1 or 2 months of cigarettes will easily cover the cost of a BlackBerry.
    02-12-10 09:39 AM
    And before everyone says what about the people can't afford it...

About 1 or 2 months of cigarettes will easily cover the cost of a BlackBerry.
    I can't afford a lot of things. That doesn't mean i need or want the gov't to get them for me. Besides, cellphones are not a right.
    02-12-10 09:51 AM
    Thanks for posting this OP, i needed a good chuckle.
    02-12-10 09:56 AM
    This count for British ? lol NHS be screwed no-one at there stop smoking clinics haha
    02-12-10 10:00 AM
    Free BlackBerry? Wow, news this exciting has got me a little too excited. I need a smoke. Anybody got a light?

02-12-10 11:01 AM
    Time to start smoking so I can quit.
    02-12-10 11:05 AM
    I can't afford a lot of things. That doesn't mean i need or want the gov't to get them for me. Besides, cellphones are not a right.
    You didn't hear? We've got natural rights like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We've now expanded those to include legal rights like BlackBerry smartphones, broadband Internet access, and a beauty school education.
    Last edited by robnhl; 02-12-10 at 11:25 AM. Reason: OCD
    02-12-10 11:24 AM
    You didn't hear? We've got natural rights like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We've now expanded those to include legal rights like BlackBerry smartphones, broadband Internet access, and a beauty school education.

FFS, i seriously hope all the Mayan 2012 **** is real.
    02-12-10 11:41 AM
    Its true so if u gave someone a berry they'll have plenty to do with their hands lol

02-12-10 12:22 PM
    Its true so if u gave someone a berry they'll have plenty to do with their hands lol

That makes so much sense, particularly now that BlackBerry Messenger v5 allows groups. Everybody gets their own support group for those moments when you are tempted.

If I calculated how much money I spent on tobacco over the 45 years I was smoking, the costs of a BlackBerry are trivial.

Hummm... wonder if our Canadian Minister of Health would feel the same way?
    02-12-10 12:46 PM
    I want a free Blackberry. It better be a good one too, if my tax dollars are paying
    for it.
    02-12-10 12:48 PM
    Who knew? Instead of fighting for a new bb from "Big Red" all I had to do is get it from Uncle Sam...

Tax Dollars At Work
    02-12-10 02:40 PM
    Doesn't work for the president! last I heard he still smokes and he's an avid BBabuser!

02-12-10 02:44 PM
    I wonder how Americans feel about a stimulus package being spent on a Canadian product... I'd figure they'd at least issue iPhones or something American made to go with the "Buy American" provisions in the other stimulus packages. Of course, they were a lot larger, and it seems Canada has gotten their way.

02-12-10 04:38 PM
    Aren't the iPhones made in China?
    02-12-10 05:00 PM
    this just doesnt sound right to me why would the goverment give free blackberrys what if you dont have a contract and what if you didnt like blackberries
    02-12-10 05:40 PM
    i need to sign up for this! lol. an extra BB will be handy
    02-12-10 05:54 PM
    I can see this program working.

Countless of times i would find myself going on a smoke break but end up on my blackberry almost forgetting i have a cigarette in the other.
    02-12-10 06:15 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD