Since a few days now, you can buy a SIM+plan with a credit card in a distributor, in "less than 3 minutes" (they say). This was quite a challenge (ID proof, security, reliability) but the guys at Free Mobile invented (and licensed) the proper distributor. It goes now live.

You may want to note it if you plan to travel in France (in the coming months, distribution just started, 10/day rhythm).

Sorry, it's in French, but I'm sure you'll get how it works by watching this video :

edited : Bellow is speculation, this is not what the above distributor does.
    Wondering ... what if we could sell devices with the SIM 24/7 in airports (secured places), for instance with same type of distributors ? (ok, ok ... I quit smoking )
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-14-14 at 02:16 PM.
    04-14-14 01:59 PM
    Neat way to go with those "vending machines".

Do they sell all classes of devices, or just the really cheap low end ones. I've seen in Asia where they have these, but they are usually the super cheap type devices.

But alas if the devices don't sell in the store, I don't see anyone bothering to put them in one of these.
    04-14-14 02:14 PM
    sorry if it wasn't clear but the actual machine only sells SIM cards with plans. Also allow changing your SIM if deficient or if you need another form factor (regular/micro/mini).
    04-14-14 02:16 PM
    The EU voted last week to abolish roaming charges in time for Christmas 2015. That would be more convenient than swapping sims and phone numbers.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-14-14 02:20 PM