....I just caught word from the Reuters news wire, that Foxconn is considering building some factories here in the U.S. This concerns me because as we all know the NSA and Gov't, hold power over all companies based here in the U.S. We also have heard that they use this power to impose negative effects on companies based here, such as incorporating spy-ware into hardware and systems used in certain mobile devices by certain companies, (which I won't name) as well as search engine internet companies, (nameless again). I would not trust Foxconn to build or produce BlackBerry devices here in the U.S. for this reason, if they do bring factories here, if I were Mr. Chen, I would insist that all BlackBerry hardware and devices be built outside of the U.S. jurisdiction! Should this be a reasonable concern?
    01-26-14 10:05 PM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    illlya likes this.
    01-26-14 10:08 PM
    ....I just caught word from the Reuters news wire, that Foxconn is considering building some factories here in the U.S. This concerns me because as we all know the NSA and Gov't, hold power over all companies based here in the U.S. We also have heard that they use this power to impose negative effects on companies based here, such as incorporating spy-ware into hardware and systems used in certain mobile devices by certain companies, (which I won't name) as well as search engine internet companies, (nameless again). I would not trust Foxconn to build or produce BlackBerry devices here in the U.S. for this reason, if they do bring factories here, if I were Mr. Chen, I would insist that all BlackBerry hardware and devices be built outside of the U.S. jurisdiction! Should this be a reasonable concern?
    You shouldn't use the internet.
    KDB84, CDM76 and lnichols like this.
    01-26-14 10:11 PM
    You shouldn't use the internet.
    Am I the only one who actually lol'd?

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 10:27 PM
    As it makes perfect sense for the company to have full oversight of their manufacturing (of smartphones), it makes even more sense to have its operations looked after locally (in North America) rather than see it manufactured overseas. You've got loose (poor) work and employment standards in the East coupled with the regions "vulnerability". Whatever source you can attribute - corrupt governments, bribery, fraud, etc. - there is a risk of vulnerabilities in hosting operations overseas, particularly in the parts of the world where there is severe competition (China versus U.S.).

Though it makes sense to have FOXCONN located in NA, it's not clear whether it would be wiser to have operations conducted in the U.S> or Canada.

Investing further into Canada would mean more development of the Canadian tech sector. But reasonably the company cannot make the same margins on its sales as that's the entire focus of going to FOXCONN to begin with. Is their financial/operational strength due to its location (to co-suppliers) or is it a result of lower wages? That's the real question. I have a feeling that economies of scale and being regionally near the parts distributors would make more sense.

Either way the end result will be savings in how much a BlackBerry would cost.
    Affinity4BlkBrry likes this.
    01-28-14 01:07 PM
    .....I like your thinking Babar Sultan. I would feel more comfortable with taking Foxconn operations into Canada as opposed to in the U.S. for reasons as I have already stated. However, either way it goes, it would benefit BlackBerry to keep a CLOSE eye on all manufacturing operations regardless of the locations, weather inside or outside of U.S. jurisdiction. Remember, Foxconn also produces hardware for Apple, and we all know how tainted those apples are!!
    01-28-14 06:45 PM
    I think the risk of NSA snooping is preferred over China doing it.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-28-14 07:30 PM
    Oh Dear Lord all this crap with the NSA and China and security and yada yada yada...

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-28-14 07:44 PM
    I thought the NSA was made in China

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    01-28-14 07:59 PM
    BlackBerry really needs to market to crazy people who think they are relevant enough to warrant the NSA's and the USA's attention.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-28-14 08:21 PM