I'm not saying they shouldn't do it. I'm not saying its going to kill the company or anything like that. But for me... security is the number one priority. And that means Blackberry has to control all aspects of the manufacturing process. If someone can slip inside Foxconn and get malware loaded onto the bios of a blackberry... the no matter how good the security is on the device... it won't matter.

We saw this in the US when chinese thumbdrives started showing up with malware on them... and then again when the US military realized that their shiny new Lenovo laptops had the same malware pre-installed from the factory.

I will not be buying a blackberry made by Foxconn.

To me the best option for blackberry right now is to tap into the NSA controversy and start screaming that they are the Anti-Big Brother. In fact.. they should remake that iconic Apple 1984 commercial and put Jobs face on the big screen.

That would leave a mark.
    12-31-13 09:03 AM
    So.....what will you use? And do you realise that almost every tech company uses Foxconn to some extent?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002227098
    kbz1960, bungaboy, john_v and 14 others like this.
    12-31-13 09:09 AM
    I worked in one of blackberries warehouses some time ago......they had part coming from all over including china......never happened then doubt it will now

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:10 AM
    So.....what will you use? And do you realise that almost every tech company uses Foxconn to some extent?
    Foxconn kills BlackBerry for me-dadams2.jpg
    Last edited by gogurt48; 12-31-13 at 09:35 AM.
    12-31-13 09:20 AM
    Haven't decided. I choose blackberry because its a secure option. I believe Foxconn reduces the effectiveness of blackberry security to the point that its no longer much different than a Galaxy. So why not get a Galaxy?
    Thunderbuck and tarmpung like this.
    12-31-13 09:29 AM
    I worked in one of blackberries warehouses some time ago......they had part coming from all over including china......never happened then doubt it will now

Posted via CB10
    Seems to me its very different... assembling your own individual parts means, by definition, you have control and access to those parts during assembly and can therefore inspect them for tampering.

Blackberry will not have that option with Foxconn.
    12-31-13 09:30 AM
    I also have reservations with Foxconn.

A) they're Chinese, and I hate supporting China in any way, both because of security concerns but also because I don't want the Chinese getting any business period

B) their work environment requires suicide nets, enough said about how they treat their workers

C) I hate Apple

But..with all that said, I'm ready to be the first hypocrite and say I'd buy a Foxconn BlackBerry. You try your best to do good, but at the end of the day we all wear grey hats.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:32 AM
    A: Foxconn isn't Chinese, it's Taiwanese. It is a difference.
    B: Because the USA has a huge debt owned to China, they get their business anyway. And stop calling then because most networks nowadays are build bij Huawei and ZTE, even when it is not from them, the equipment is probably build in China or Taiwain

I hate iphones, not Apple
    12-31-13 09:41 AM
    I also have reservations with Foxconn.

A) they're Chinese, and I hate supporting China in any way, both because of security concerns but also because I don't want the Chinese getting any business period
    So much hate haha, did you know that China basically owns the US? Good luck trying to avoid them, you could try never buying anything "Made in China", but then you'd have to be a multi-millionaire to support that lifestyle.
    Donvald and web99 like this.
    12-31-13 09:44 AM
    Foxconn is Taiwanese not Chinese. Also, the plan is for the BlackBerry's to be built in Mexico and Indonesia, not China (though Foxconn is allowed to build the BlackBerry's in China until they finish building / setting up the factories in Indonesia and Mexico.

Also, for now, BlackBerry is still keeping the high-end models in house, so if you buy them you won't have to worry about Foxconn

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:49 AM
    I'm not saying they shouldn't do it. I'm not saying its going to kill the company or anything like that. But for me... security is the number one priority. And that means Blackberry has to control all aspects of the manufacturing process. If someone can slip inside Foxconn and get malware loaded onto the bios of a blackberry... the no matter how good the security is on the device... it won't matter.

We saw this in the US when chinese thumbdrives started showing up with malware on them... and then again when the US military realized that their shiny new Lenovo laptops had the same malware pre-installed from the factory.

I will not be buying a blackberry made by Foxconn.

To me the best option for blackberry right now is to tap into the NSA controversy and start screaming that they are the Anti-Big Brother. In fact.. they should remake that iconic Apple 1984 commercial and put Jobs face on the big screen.

That would leave a mark.
    Pp

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:49 AM
    "Under the partnership, Foxconn will manufacture products for BlackBerry at facilities in Indonesia and Mexico. BlackBerry will own all of its intellectual property and perform product assurance on devices through the Foxconn partnership, as it does currently with all third-party manufacturers."

Quote From the press release.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:52 AM
    If BlackBerry's focus is security and they chose to use Foxconn to develop and manufacture a BUDGET line of BB10 devices I'm happy. If BlackBerry is happy with who is building it's devices then so am I.

The choice we have is this:

1: BlackBerry dies.

2: BlackBerry lives.

I choose option 2 and trust BlackBerry to make the right choices.

Edit to add: you may have noticed that despite rumours to the contrary BlackBerry is still very much alive!
    john_v, web99, Korepab and 3 others like this.
    12-31-13 09:53 AM
    The point isn't that Foxconn is chinese.

The point is its a third party manufacturer and there is a security risk.
    12-31-13 10:00 AM
    Security is in software and servers, not phone parts. Go out and buy an android or apple and see how secure you are?!?!
    paulo_mealha likes this.
    12-31-13 10:01 AM
    Haven't decided. I choose blackberry because its a secure option. I believe Foxconn reduces the effectiveness of blackberry security to the point that its no longer much different than a Galaxy. So why not get a Galaxy?
    Samsung also uses Foxconn.
    12-31-13 10:03 AM
    What difference does it make if blackberry lives or dies if the feature that makes me want a blackberry no longer exists?

If my blackberry is no longer much more secure than a samsung why wouldn't I buy a samsung?
    12-31-13 10:04 AM
    Without this Foxconn deal there will be no BlackBerry anything. It's not a choice. You are basically saying that you would prefer BlackBerry dead than to outsource its manufacturing to Indonesia and Mexico (where it is already taking place!). Taiwanese fought AGAINST the mainland Chinese government by the way, so any anti -China slant to this deal is severely misplaced. Yes, Foxconn has lots of manufacturing in China, but it sounds like this deal is focused on Indonesia first and Mexico second.
    12-31-13 10:08 AM
    Security is in software and servers, not phone parts. Go out and buy an android or apple and see how secure you are?!?!
    Yes it is. now tell us what happens when malware is pre-installed on the BIOS of the chipset of the device at the factory?

Right.

Your pretty server security and OS security now mean nothing.

Thanks for playing.
    Damatrix02 likes this.
    12-31-13 10:13 AM
    From my understanding non BES BlackBerry's are no more secure than iPhones. If you want all the security that everyone is clammering about you need to be on an Enterprise managed BES server.
    12-31-13 10:14 AM
    Lol u skipped my quote huh??

Posted via CB10
    1magine, R Field and Thuggidy like this.
    12-31-13 10:18 AM
    Without this Foxconn deal there will be no BlackBerry anything. It's not a choice. You are basically saying that you would prefer BlackBerry dead than to outsource its manufacturing to Indonesia and Mexico (where it is already taking place!). Taiwanese fought AGAINST the mainland Chinese government by the way, so any anti -China slant to this deal is severely misplaced. Yes, Foxconn has lots of manufacturing in China, but it sounds like this deal is focused on Indonesia first and Mexico second.
    If you will note the first line of my post... I understand that.

I know they have to do it to survive.

what I'm saying is... at this point to me it doesn't matter if they survive or not. I only use blackberry because of the security and this compromises the security advantage blackberry had.

And again... its not about China.

I'm much more concerned about the NSA than I am about China.
    MB2 likes this.
    12-31-13 10:19 AM
    In fact.. they should remake that iconic Apple 1984 commercial and put Jobs face on the big screen.

That would leave a mark.
    I'm lost. . .what does Steve Jobs have to do with the NSA?
    12-31-13 10:20 AM
    Poor beloved BlackBerry it seems there's nothing you can do that will ever please people.....
    m1kr0, john_v, web99 and 5 others like this.
    12-31-13 10:20 AM
    No. Your quote is irrelevant. Where the products are manufactured doesn't matter and neither do "assurances". Foxconn manufactures Iphones and we know for a fact that the NSA has installed malware in the iphone BIOS.

Thus we know Foxconn is compromised already. Either with apple's permission or not. It doesn't really matter. I believed I could trust Blackberry. I do not believe I can trust Foxconn.
    12-31-13 10:22 AM
318 123 ...