Interesting article by Michael Gartenberg over on Imore regarding the iPhone se.

Go small or go home | iMore

"It turned out I didn't need a phone that could meet all my productivity needs. I didn't need to carry a lot of content, such as videos or games that I'd never used."

I immediately thought of BlackBerry phones especially bb10. Sure, the majority of people want the biggest and the most spec'd out phone on the market, but there still exists a niche of users that want a smaller phone that can get them by an entire day. No fancy gimmicks, just a simple reliable phone that most manufacturers have lost focus on.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 06:16 AM
    Depends on the date of release. Blackberry's last two phones have been huge.
    05-28-16 07:11 AM
    I absolutely love my Classic. And have it as my backup to my Priv. I have every confidence that the Classic will be able to serve my core needs in the coming years. Having said that, the Priv serves my PKB needs, some BlackBerry productivity with that gorgeous screens and no workarounds for apps anymore.

Posted via my Priv
    TheBirdDog likes this.
    05-28-16 09:41 AM
    Oversized device market has been reaching saturation for a while, IMO. Maybe folks are starting to question the unquestionable? Why carry an oversized device 100% of the time when you really only need that additional space 1% of the time? Sort of like driving an 80,000# gvw Peterbilt everyday because you might need a truck if you suddenly decide to move to a new house next year. Lol. Personally, I'd rather drive a Porsche everyday and grab the Peterbilt when it's really needed.

My compact & nimble 9900 has more in common with Porsche than with Peterbilt.
    05-28-16 10:28 AM
    My small q5 is great for portability. Just used it for long bike ride in arm band.

Ironically, I am posting this from the relatively large z30 which doesn't fit very well in said arm band.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 11:07 AM
    My small q5 is great for portability. Just used it for long bike ride in arm band.

Ironically, I am posting this from the relatively large z30 which doesn't fit very well in said arm band.

Posted via CB10
    You need bigger arms.
    05-28-16 12:59 PM
    Interesting article by Michael Gartenberg over on Imore regarding the iPhone se.

"It turned out I didn't need a phone that could meet all my productivity needs. I didn't need to carry a lot of content, such as videos or games that I'd never used."

I immediately thought of BlackBerry phones especially bb10. Sure, the majority of people want the biggest and the most spec'd out phone on the market, but there still exists a niche of users that want a smaller phone that can get them by an entire day. No fancy gimmicks, just a simple reliable phone that most manufacturers have lost focus on.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, that was my thinking behind getting and keeping my Q10.

I do not need to watch full length movies or play games on my phone.

I would also like to make the argument that I would rather keep the 720p screen which is good enough for texts and Youtube videos in HD resolution, and take the extra battery life over the 1080p and 4k screens.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 08:54 PM
    For me a pkb device between the size of the 9900 and Classic (maybe loose the top bezel) would be perfect....including track pad of course ;-)

Just yesterday I popped my sim into my 9900 just for fun (Classic is my daily driver). I was instantly reminded what a compact and useful communication device it is. Of course without BIS (I am not paying extra to be able to receive Email etc. in 2016) it lost a lot of its capabilities.

I am looking forward to the Android pkb phone coming out (fingers crossed). I do hope that it will not turn out to be as hugely long as in the renders so far shown.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 04:25 AM
    Love my Classic's size... Perfect for a daily driver... The 9900 was even better yet... I only require a large screen for viewing media or certain browsing endeavors, which is why my second line usually features a device like the Passport, Note or as it stands now, Priv... But when it comes to what i want to carry around daily, the Classic is as large as I'd want to go...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-29-16 05:28 AM
    You need bigger arms.
    Doesn't change the size of the pocket of the arm band silly. Have to really squeeze in z30. No way passport will fit in.

Z10 will remain daily driver. My passport is just too big for easy portability despite how much I like the phone otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 03:07 PM
    Doesn't change the size of the pocket of the arm band silly. Have to really squeeze in z30. No way passport will fit in.

Z10 will remain daily driver. My passport is just too big for easy portability despite how much I like the phone otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    I hear ya, I felt the same way.
    I don't want to carry a tablet sized device with me everywhere. About 5.5" screen works for me, big enough to help my elderly eyes yet small enough to carry around easily.
    05-29-16 03:15 PM
    Anyone checked the Huawei P8 Max?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/huawei-p8-max-review

This is probably as big as it gets...
    Lady at church pulled that one out recently. It's as wide as the Passport (maybe even a few mm wider!), and my "reference phone" looked tiny in comparison, haha.

I can't imagine holding my iPad mini to my ear... ;-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    05-29-16 10:24 PM
    Anyone checked the Huawei P8 Max?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/huawei-p8-max-review

This is probably as big as it gets...
    Lady at church pulled that one out recently. It's as wide as the Passport (maybe even a few mm wider!), and my "reference phone" looked tiny in comparison, haha.

I can't imagine holding my iPad mini to my ear... ;-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    That is just crazy. How do you carry that thing let alone make a phone call. You need a briefcases or luggage on wheels to haul that thing around. Seriously though, is it really necessary to have a phone of that size ?

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    05-30-16 05:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    I hope that it wasn't the line about not meeting all of the productivity needs that reminded you of BB10...

Personally, I don't think that BlackBerry has held onto the vision of compact devices. Since the Z30, they haven't made anything really "compact" compared to the rest of the market. In fact, when you compare the Passport, it would seem as though they might even have been trying to push the trend in the other direction.

I was actually a bit disappointed on finding out how big the Priv actually is. In my opinion, the whole point of the 'slider' design is fitting a completely functional package into a more compact design, and BlackBerry didn't make any attempt at that with it.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-30-16 06:32 AM
    Seeing more people with huge holsters to carry their Phablet. Some with big fat cases on them. The big phones are taking away from tablet sales.

I think there would be a niche market for an updated smaller PKB. I agree that the slider concept would have worked better in a smaller package.

The trouble is that not too many consumers need or want a PKB now. I made the switch to a VKB and I do not think I would want to go back.
    05-31-16 09:29 AM
    Yeah i agree, wish that phones would gravitate towards being smaller again. My biggest, non-android complaint about the Priv is that its massive (thin, but L and W are insane) i don't know how or why people want even larger?

I still pick up my Q10 once in awhile and really miss using it, small, easy to carry around, efficient. A big screen is nice but.. I think portability might just be better

05-31-16 07:01 PM
    Everyone should always do what Apple does.

05-31-16 07:03 PM