So, there's this Google unveils 'smart contact lens' to measure glucose levels - BBC News

Now I'm thinking, Blackberry could make a 'smart' contact lens just for security purposes, extremely simple;

1) everyone has unique retinas

2) the lens would be linked to confidential files (most likely on the cloud)

3) only when the lens was on the eye that it was registered with would the files become accessible , this could be paired with a code or pattern that has to be entered on the device at the same time..

Check Out TechCraze
    04-13-15 04:08 PM
    I don't think people would want to wear contacts unless they had to. Plus what are people already using contacts going to do.

Plus contacts are prescribed after you are seen by a medical professional to see if you have any contra-indications for contacts. Imagine the lawsuits if BB came out with such a device and people went blind or got infections because of it.
    Last edited by Ment; 04-13-15 at 04:25 PM. Reason: more
    serbanescu and Carl Estes like this.
    04-13-15 04:12 PM
    I don't think people would want to wear contacts unless they had to. Plus what are people already using contacts going to do.

Plus contacts are prescribed after you are seen by a medical professional to see if you have any contra-indications for contacts. Imagine the lawsuits if BB came out with such a device and people went blind or got infections because of it.
    Enterprise market = have to, and those using already can have them customised

Check Out TechCraze
    04-13-15 04:58 PM
    Enterprise market = have to, and those using already can have them customised

Check Out TechCraze
    I don't see a huge market for the R/D invested. It'd be like the SecuTablet . But no one is going to have health issues using the SecuTablet.
    04-13-15 05:28 PM
    I don't see a huge market for the R/D invested. It'd be like the SecuTablet . But no one is going to have health issues using the SecuTablet.
    Blackberrys market isn't huge anyway, this is a niche device for people that handle highly sensitive documents and information.

Check Out TechCraze
    04-13-15 05:39 PM
    Blackberrys market isn't huge anyway, this is a niche device for people that handle highly sensitive documents and information.

Check Out TechCraze
    They'd have to buy someone out who is already working on the project. The SecuTablet project was already in the works with Samsung when BB bought them, I doubt with BB current finances they would have started it on their own.

I don't see custom contacts being the easy solution anyways. Why not a QR code on a temporary tattoo you could put on your inner wrist or something.
    04-13-15 05:48 PM

Check Out TechCraze
    04-13-15 06:29 PM
    Out of all the things BlackBerry can make, you want them to make custom contacts lenses?? Lol nah

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-13-15 11:55 PM
    BlackBerry still needs to make a smartwatch regardless.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 12:51 AM
    Wearables?

The future is probably injectables. RFID and other tracking chips...

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    Flatman likes this.
    04-14-15 03:52 AM
    It would be a lot of money to put into something that's extremely fragile. It's one of those things that sounds amazing because it's an impressive feat, rather than being practical for day to day application.

Furthermore, developing a contact lens that takes a retinal scan of a person's eye would be much more complex than a microchip that measures the glucose level in tear fluid and it would probably be easier to integrate a retinal scanner into whatever computing device you're trying to access.

Dispensed via Q10 ----{\\\\|=[
    04-14-15 12:23 PM
    Plus I suspect that healthcare companies have the money to invest in such a device whereas the product you're suggesting is more likely to be researched and developed for military/intelligence agency use rather than in a civilian business setting.

04-14-15 12:29 PM
    It would be a lot of money to put into something that's extremely fragile. It's one of those things that sounds amazing because it's an impressive feat, rather than being practical for day to day application.

Furthermore, developing a contact lens that takes a retinal scan of a person's eye would be much more complex than a microchip that measures the glucose level in tear fluid and it would probably be easier to integrate a retinal scanner into whatever computing device you're trying to access.

Not a retinal scan, a retinal pattern on the eye which is unique to every individual, so not a lot of computing power required, but fair point on the investment bit, something that already exists would be preferred..

Check Out TechCraze
    04-14-15 12:31 PM
    Wearables?

The future is probably injectables. RFID and other tracking chips...

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �

I agree, wearable, as in smartwatches are just a fad. RFID type stuff is definitely more plausible

BB for Life
    Flatman likes this.
    04-14-15 12:37 PM
    Not a retinal scan, a retinal pattern on the eye which is unique to every individual, so not a lot of computing power required, but fair point on the investment bit, something that already exists would be preferred..

Check Out TechCraze
    How can you record the retinal pattern without performing a retinal scan? Or do you mean Iris recognition? Either way it's still much more complex than the glucose-level contact.

04-14-15 12:52 PM
    I agree, wearable, as in smartwatches are just a fad. RFID type stuff is definitely more plausible

BB for Life
    In what context? They've been around for ages, do you mean being inserted into humans? That's been around for a while too..

I just think that BlackBerry coming out with a wearable that's a little out there will help get people speaking about them positively again and show people that they're still relevant, maybe a lens is too out there but something like that, e.g. nymi simple, security based, BlackBerry should be all over this especially since its in their own backyward(they might well be maybe we'll find out)

https://www.nymi.com/

Check Out TechCraze
    04-14-15 12:54 PM
    I suspect they'll want to see how well Google Glass fares. If that takes off then maybe BlackBerry and other companies would feel a bit safer about venturing into wearables of that nature.

04-14-15 01:02 PM
    So, there's this Google unveils 'smart contact lens' to measure glucose levels - BBC News

Now I'm thinking, Blackberry could make a 'smart' contact lens just for security purposes, extremely simple;

1) everyone has unique retinas

2) the lens would be linked to confidential files (most likely on the cloud)

3) only when the lens was on the eye that it was registered with would the files become accessible , this could be paired with a code or pattern that has to be entered on the device at the same time..

Check Out TechCraze
    This won't be out anytime soon for any cost effective method. There are lots of other diabetes devices intended for use inside the body, which will be more accurate and more capable. Plus, won't they just fix eyes with lasers and replace eyeballs with 20/20 ones with cool colours?

I certainly wouldn't implement security around a contact lens that can easily be removed, even without the force of a wrench.
    04-14-15 01:10 PM
    I suspect they'll want to see how well Google Glass fares. If that takes off then maybe BlackBerry and other companies would feel a bit safer about venturing into wearables of that nature.

Google Glass has already disappointed, and I don't think it should be the Base for wearable anyway since unlike some other 'smart' devices it is quite noticeable and out-there , whereas something like a band or lens wouldn't be noticed as much at least.

It should never just be about one device, and also I'm saying BlackBerry target a niche, somewhere in enterprise something around security not just a mass wearable for the sake of it..

Check Out TechCraze
    04-14-15 01:10 PM
    This won't be out anytime soon for any cost effective method. There are lots of other diabetes devices intended for use inside the body, which will be more accurate and more capable. Plus, won't they just fix eyes with lasers and replace eyeballs with 20/20 ones with cool colours?

I certainly wouldn't implement security around a contact lens that can easily be removed, even without the force of a wrench.
    1) you misunderstand (understandably, my articulation isn't always on point) I posted the Google one just as proof of concept, the lens idea has nothing to do with glucose

2) every eye is unique, so if the lens is removed, it will become unusable, only when it links with the original eye socket will it function as intended is the idea

Check Out TechCraze
    04-14-15 01:13 PM
    1) you misunderstand (understandably, my articulation isn't always on point) I posted the Google one just as proof of concept, the lens idea has nothing to do with glucose

2) every eye is unique, so if the lens is removed, it will become unusable, only when it links with the original eye socket will it function as intended is the idea

Check Out TechCraze
    I would rather wear an earring, ring, collar, or a watch than stick some unnecessary gadget in my eye. Or even a little thingamabob beneath my skin. But never my eye. I don't love any employer's security enough for that.
    04-14-15 01:23 PM
    I would rather wear an earring, ring, collar, or a watch than stick some unnecessary gadget in my eye. Or even a little thingamabob beneath my skin. But never my eye. I don't love any employer's security enough for that.
    For those who want to keep things secure, it will be necessary, but of course this was just an idea it could work with an earing, not sure about a ring though, rn I'm thinking the band seen above is probably most feasable

Also with the lens I was thinking niche niche, like president of USA niche (as well as of other countries of course) and in positions where security is a top priority.

Check Out TechCraze
    04-14-15 01:37 PM

Check Out TechCraze
    So your point is they should go for long term moon shot with expensive R&D, but without a specific product or idea?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 02:44 PM
    So your point is they should go for long term moon shot with expensive R&D, but without a specific product or idea?

Posted via CB10
    No.

Initially I was proposing an extremely specific product, a security lens to act as a security layer that would open access to certain documents/files etc.

Following re-evaluation, I've separately considered that the principle of the idea could function with other hardware (i.e. The band posted above) ..

I'm not necessarily making a distinctive point, just exploring ideas because I think BlackBerry can do better than just producing a watch because competitors have one, they missed the boat already with pebble so any wearable they release at this point aligning with their current strategy should be niche and focused on enterprise preferably with a security angle, the lens was just something I thought met this criteria

Check Out TechCraze
    04-14-15 02:54 PM
    Wearables do seem to be a current area of interest.

This is a pretty cool idea too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=919655

I'm sure i've seen another on here about car HUD displays. Would I be right in thinking that BlackBerry are already involved in car electronics systems?

04-14-15 03:00 PM
28 12