Recently, in a cost-cutting measure, my company confiscated all our Verizon Bold 9930's and gave us iPhone 5s's instead.

I passionately HATE the damned thing!

I loved my 9930. It was the ultimate business tool. The iPhone is nothing more than a social tool for a 16 year old girl.

Here's what I'd like to do:

I'd like to purchase my own Blackberry (be it another 9930 or a Q10) and make it a clone of the reviled iPhone so that I have an effective tool to use at work once again. I can't do it through my employer because they are dead set against using anything but the iPhones. This way, I get a Blackberry again, and the iPhone gets put in a drawer and only comes out when I have to visit the home office.

IS THIS POSSIBLE??
    05-19-14 09:55 AM
    That's a lot of work to be done, but ... as the saying goes... Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good luck, soldier!
    05-19-14 09:57 AM
    Well, exactly what sort of work are we talking about here?

I'm hell bent on doing it. What's the process?
    05-19-14 10:08 AM
    I'm not knowledgeable, so others may be of help. What exactly do you want to do, and what exactly needs to be cloned?
    05-19-14 10:13 AM
    I want my own purchased Blackberry to be a copy of the iPhone 5s that I'm currently using: Same phone number and same associated email address. I'll use the Blackberry in the field, but I'll keep the iPhone functional for that rare occasion when I'm in the presence of management at our headquarters. Simple as that!
    05-19-14 10:19 AM
    Get the Q10 and say it's the iPhone with Ryan Seacrest keyboard.

Make sure to have an ios screen shot in your pictures folder handy. When you go to a meeting, you can load the iPhone OS picture .

Good news is that you can peek your notifications!

Now that's a Blackberry fan!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 10:24 AM
    Can't you swap sims in ios?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 10:26 AM
    I want my own purchased Blackberry to be a copy of the iPhone 5s that I'm currently using: Same phone number and same associated email address. I'll use the Blackberry in the field, but I'll keep the iPhone functional for that rare occasion when I'm in the presence of management at our headquarters. Simple as that!
    Is the SIM card removable? As in swap-able from the iPhone to the BlackBerry?

Here in Malaysia, there are legal ways for us to get a "multi SIM" (same number, different SIM, think of it as 1 SIM spliced / cloned into a maximum of 5)

As for emails, I think you can set up both phones to receive emails from the same source? Unless the iPhone has some sort of MDM management?
    05-19-14 10:28 AM
    Your phone number goes with your sim card. I don't think that the sim cards are compatible (different sizes), though. You may have to get a new sim card and move the phone number over. However, once you do that the old sim card can no longer be used (5s becomes a wifi only at that point). I'm assuming you're on GSM here. No idea about CDMA phones.

As for email, you should be able to use the same email account so long as it supports ActiveSync, like Exchange, Hotmail, etc... Really depends on the details.
    05-19-14 10:31 AM
    the iPhone5s uses a smaller sim card then the Q10 and even the standard sim in the 9900, that being said does Verizon even use sims being CDMA?

as for cost cutting how the hell does buying iPhone5s justify cost cutting :S your boss must be on crack
    05-19-14 10:37 AM
    Not sure about the SIM card interchangeability between the iPhone and a Blackberry. That's why I'm asking the question here.

The big thing is having both phone functional, just in case........ or even possibly swapping SIM's when I'm at the office.

Is this all possible?
    05-19-14 10:37 AM
    the iPhone5s uses a smaller sim card then the Q10 and even the standard sim in the 9900, that being said does Verizon even use sims being CDMA?

as for cost cutting how the hell does buying iPhone5s justify cost cutting :S your boss must be on crack
    Not sure how, but supposedly the phone bill went from $60k a year to $16k with the new iPhone plan. I have no idea. I just want my Blackberry back!
    05-19-14 10:40 AM
    IIRC, the 5s uses the nano sim, so you will need to get an adapter. If your carrier doesn't use sim cards you are out of luck.

Otherwise, you will just need to copy the email server configuration from the iPhone to the BlackBerry. If your company uses a mdm you may run into some problems.

If you have a webmail interface for your work email, you will likely not have any problems. Point your BlackBerry email setup there, and the rest should be history!

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-19-14 10:46 AM
    Not sure about the SIM card interchangeability between the iPhone and a Blackberry. That's why I'm asking the question here.

The big thing is having both phone functional, just in case........ or even possibly swapping SIM's when I'm at the office.

Is this all possible?
    Your sim card in iPhone is smaller than than 9930 but still pin compatible. Just put in carefully in the 9930 or you can get a piece of plastic which goes around the microsim to hold it in place in the 9930 on ebay for a dollar

Developer of AutoCrop Scanner
    05-19-14 10:50 AM
    Nope. No special mail. I use a Gmail account for work.

The carrier is Verizon and there is a nano SIM card.

So all I'd have to do is swap the SIM cards? Does the Q10 take a nano SIM?
    05-19-14 10:52 AM
    Nanosim to microsim and regular sim are going for a dollar on ebay.
    If your employer installed Mobile device management app like MobileIron/ Good/BES they would know right away that you changed phones. Do you see these kind of apps on your iPhone?

05-19-14 11:05 AM
    OP sounds like a good way to get fired if there are device managment in the Iphone.
    05-19-14 11:11 AM
    Nanosim to microsim and regular sim are going for a dollar on ebay.
    If your employer installed Mobile device management app like MobileIron/ Good/BES they would know right away that you changed phones. Do you see these kind of apps on your iPhone?

Nope! No MDM apps. Free and clear to get my own Blackberry. Was just looking at an unlocked Verizon 9930 on Amazon for $165. I'm going for it!
    05-19-14 11:30 AM
    Nope! No MDM apps. Free and clear to get my own Blackberry. Was just looking at an unlocked Verizon 9930 on Amazon for $165. I'm going for it!
    Get the Q10! BB10 is faster than BBOS!

theRock1975 likes this.
    05-19-14 11:39 AM
    Only problem if i understand how verizon works, you wont be able to do this without the company authorizing it first. The switch on a CDMA device vs a sim device needs to be called into carrier whenever you switch your device. This in regards requires IT or someone who is an authorized user on the account to make the switch.

That being said if you get blessing from your company to buy your own device and use it than this point is mute and you will get what you want, however if they deny this request than your kind of SOL.
    05-19-14 11:46 AM
    Only problem if i understand how verizon works, you wont be able to do this without the company authorizing it first. The switch on a CDMA device vs a sim device needs to be called into carrier whenever you switch your device. This in regards requires IT or someone who is an authorized user on the account to make the switch.

That being said if you get blessing from your company to buy your own device and use it than this point is mute and you will get what you want, however if they deny this request than your kind of SOL.
    Damn it! Well I guess I am SOL because they're hell bent on using the iPhones. I don't think I'd get the ok. If it was just a matter of moving the SIM to a Blackberry, then I could switch back at the first inquiry. If what you're saying is true - I'm dead in the water.
    05-19-14 12:00 PM
    Damn it! Well I guess I am SOL because they're hell bent on using the iPhones. I don't think I'd get the ok. If it was just a matter of moving the SIM to a Blackberry, then I could switch back at the first inquiry. If what you're saying is true - I'm dead in the water.
    Completely missed you're on Verizon. Any CDMA carrier Verizon/Sprint operates the same way, you can't just switch sims you have to switch ESN as well and that can only be done by the owner of the device which has the pin.
    05-19-14 12:27 PM
    You mentioned that it's a "cost cutting" measure, and that there is no MDM solution being used. Sounds to me like they're simply providing devices in order to ensure you're available 24 hours a day via phone. If that's the case, simply say "Thanks for the offer to provide me a phone and service, but I'd rather purchase my own."

Of course then you'd also be on the hook to pay for your service plan as well as device purchase. But hey, what's keeping your preferred device worth to you?

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    05-19-14 12:28 PM
    OK........ just did a little reading. Verizon now allows swapping 4G LTE SIM cards between 4G devices without having to switch anything on the account. Unfortunately, that's ONLY for 4G devices. So if I wanted to do what I was planning, the 9930 is out. I'd have to go Q10.
    05-19-14 12:30 PM
    OK........ just did a little reading. Verizon now allows swapping 4G LTE SIM cards between 4G devices without having to switch anything on the account. Unfortunately, that's ONLY for 4G devices. So if I wanted to do what I was planning, the 9930 is out. I'd have to go Q10.
    Thats interesting. Where are you finding that info? You might want to post in the Verizon forum just to get confirmation before you buy a Q10.
    05-19-14 12:36 PM
75 123