This article argues weak Europe economies will have an effect on revenue:

HTC Warning - Another Sign of European Consumer Tailspin? - Forbes
    06-07-12 09:17 AM
    This article argues weak Europe economies will have an effect on revenue:
    10% decline in Spain : Spain is in a particularly bad position, not that far from Greece. So it would be tendentious to attach this to Europe as a whole.
    06-07-12 09:24 AM
    In regard to sales in Spain, I'm surprised they have fallen. I'm Spanish and all the time, and every single time I'm there (I'm going back for good this month) - I just see so many 8520's. Particularly with youths! If anything, I have seen more Curve's than any other phone. The iPhone and Galaxy S2 are still for those with lots of money as you have to buy the handset outright for more than 400.

The Bold isn't popular at all with consumers as it isn't offered other than Vodafone (9900) and the Torch isn't liked much I think.

I hope the offer for a FREE 8520 (time to give away the 9300) with unlimited BIS for 8 a month is still offered. It may be old and slow, but for BBM, facebook, twitter, tuenti, whatsapp, and music. I think it's fine!
    06-07-12 09:37 AM
    10% decline in Spain : Spain is in a particularly bad position, not that far from Greece. So it would be tendentious to attach this to Europe as a whole.
    Yeah but the fate of the euro currency is affected by Spain, Greece, Italy, and maybe France if they keep going down the same path. Hence lumping all of Europe in one general statement about the economy.
    06-07-12 09:42 AM
    This will only get worse I am afraid. The Euro is in a real mess. Greece will shortly fail to meet its obligations. Spain is in dire straits and may need a huge bail out. I am not sure what is happening in Italy. It has all gone horribly quiet down there. Portugal is also in trouble but I am not sure how bad this is.

My guess it that we are headed for a a major crisis this fall that will affect the entire world and could cause a small shift in global power.

The people running Europe seem to have their heads stuck in the sand (or somewhere else!). Personally I would not trust them to run a bath let alone a continent.

I have shifted all my money out of the Euro-zone to the US.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-07-12 09:47 AM
    Pete is right. The Euro is in a real mess. I don't see how it will recover.

Spain will get the bailout for Bankia but then what about the other Eurozone countries? Portugal probably will need another. Greece will fail to pay. And eventually Italy will need one too I would have thought

Probably a wise idea to move your money to the US if you had it in a Eurozone country, but if the Euro fails, I think the Dollar will be hit hard too.
    06-07-12 10:05 AM
    This will only get worse I am afraid. The Euro is in a real mess. Greece will shortly fail to meet its obligations. Spain is in dire straits and may need a huge bail out. I am not sure what is happening in Italy. It has all gone horribly quiet down there. Portugal is also in trouble but I am not sure how bad this is.

My guess it that we are headed for a a major crisis this fall that will affect the entire world and could cause a small shift in global power.

The people running Europe seem to have their heads stuck in the sand (or somewhere else!). Personally I would not trust them to run a bath let alone a continent.

I wouldn't say they have their heads in the sand. Unfortunately, Crisis dictates human nature "Protect mine and damn the rest of you."

By next year, I would not be shocked if Germany and the UK pull out of the Eurozone
    06-07-12 10:06 AM
    I doubt Germany will leave the EU (I'm not being rude but Eurozone is the currency area, the EU is the political area) but the UK I would not be surprised at all if they leave.

I think the idea of the Euro is great, I supported it. But I think it was never really going to work when it isn't a United States of Europe. Each country is different, especially economic output. If I am not mistaken, even the UK would struggle in the Eurozone as Germany has an economy twice the size of the UK.

I don't think the Euro can be saved unless there is more control of the EU. But the question would be whether Eurozone countries would want that when they can come out of the Euro. Tighten the belts for 4 years and then grow outside.
    Pete6 likes this.
    06-07-12 10:10 AM
    I doubt Germany will leave the EU (I'm not being rude but Eurozone is the currency area, the EU is the political area) but the UK I would not be surprised at all if they leave.
    I think it might happen the other way around.

Greece and Spain get fed up with the austerity measures being imposed on them. They elect governments that ultimately make them leave the Euro and go back to there own currently. Which they can control the value and act like nothing is happening.

You can see the general population wants the Euro, but does not want to change the lifestyle they currently have. Because of this I don't see it succeeding.

I think the idea of the Euro is great, I supported it. But I think it was never really going to work when it isn't a United States of Europe. Each country is different, especially economic output. If I am not mistaken, even the UK would struggle in the Eurozone as Germany has an economy twice the size of the UK.

I don't think the Euro can be saved unless there is more control of the EU. But the question would be whether Eurozone countries would want that when they can come out of the Euro. Tighten the belts for 4 years and then grow outside.
    My thoughts exactly on why it won't work. I also support the idea of the Euro. Problem is each country of the Euro wants to do there own thing. There is no governing body, just an EU bank that is like a nagging old teacher that says "you should get your act together"...

In real life people usually ignore that teacher...
    06-07-12 10:33 AM
    I wouldn't say they have their heads in the sand. Unfortunately, Crisis dictates human nature "Protect mine and damn the rest of you."

By next year, I would not be shocked if Germany and the UK pull out of the Eurozone
    I believ that this who Euro project has been very pooly managed. I have watched it from the beginning and have seen nothing but political rhetoric being put in front of clear common sence solutions. The people of Europe deserved better than this and now the fools running Europe are going to drop the whole world down a notch or two.

The leadership in Europe has consistently failed to face up to the problems of the Euro which are entirly the fault of the leadership for not watching what was happening.

Anyone running a household budget knows that you cannot spend more tha you earn in the long term. These people have been spending and spending and now, the bill has come in.

I am very glad that the UK, at least is not in the Euro. Even son the UK Pound will be dragged down and Europe will be forced to go to the Chinese for money.
    06-07-12 10:50 AM
    The banks are creating debt and selling it back to the people. Italy is fighting these crooks head on. No bail outs. Let them fail. The people are the ones who have to pay for bail outs.
    06-07-12 10:53 AM
    I think it might happen the other way around.

Greece and Spain get fed up with the austerity measures being imposed on them. They elect governments that ultimately make them leave the Euro and go back to there own currently. Which they can control the value and act like nothing is happening.

You can see the general population wants the Euro, but does not want to change the lifestyle they currently have. Because of this I don't see it succeeding.

My thoughts exactly on why it won't work. I also support the idea of the Euro. Problem is each country of the Euro wants to do there own thing. There is no governing body, just an EU bank that is like a nagging old teacher that says "you should get your act together"...

In real life people usually ignore that teacher...
    That is absolutely right. Unless it is one Europe with the Euro, it will never work. I think in the long run, maybe, and although I want the Euro, I think it will be better if each country has it's own currency and try to work the EU that way.
    06-07-12 11:54 AM
    Story short.

Europe is not a federal organization; it is a supra-national one.
    Europeans are deeply attached to their country specifics. Good or bad, that is.

#1 Europe threat is bank sector with massive positions in countries debt.
    Europe just settle a new European organization to federate banks an restore confidence.
    If things goes wrong, we'll go U.S method : nationalize the biggest ones ... ooops.

As of date, no one wants to quit the Euroland, Germany being last.
    England is in Euroland but is not in the Eurozone (currency) system.

I believ that this who Euro project has been very pooly managed. I have watched it from the beginning and have seen nothing but political rhetoric being put in front of clear common sence solutions. The people of Europe deserved better than this and now the fools running Europe are going to drop the whole world down a notch or two.
    what we feel now are replicas of sub-primes hearthquake, I believe. Yet, harmonization and powerful guidance are needed, I'm in with that.
    That is absolutely right. Unless it is one Europe with the Euro, it will never work. I think in the long run, maybe, and although I want the Euro, I think it will be better if each country has it's own currency and try to work the EU that way.
    Greece, Spain and probably Italy would be dead already if they weren't in Eurozone.

-> this is over-simplistic, and quite unrelated with the topic ... just some inputs from the overseas ... but I guess politic statements aren't adequate here ... so I'll either close my eyes or bite my tongue

If you read French or believe in translators, you'll find some explanations attached.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-07-12 at 12:59 PM.
    06-07-12 12:54 PM
    Superfly_FR, off topic and random: Are you at all with RYR? FR & Superfly the song...

But how is it simplistic to see that maybe, just maybe! Spain and Greece, and I would have thought Italy would be better out of the Euro?
    I want Spain to be in the Euro! I'm proud of it, but I don't want a bailout and then the austerity that follows especially when it's just the banks that need to be taken back and control, control, control.

But back to BlackBerry!
    06-07-12 01:01 PM
    Superfly_FR, off topic and random: Are you at all with RYR? FR & Superfly the song...

But how is it simplistic to see that maybe, just maybe! Spain and Greece, and I would have thought Italy would be better out of the Euro?
    I want Spain to be in the Euro! I'm proud of it, but I don't want a bailout and then the austerity that follows especially when it's just the banks that need to be taken back and control, control, control.

But back to BlackBerry!
    Ok,ok,ok ! (in Euro + controlX3)

For the song, if you mean Curtis' one. Yep, one of my favorite. But RYR ... sorry don't get it. You meant R&R ? ... there, it might be a drum opportunity
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-07-12 at 01:53 PM.
    06-07-12 01:51 PM

Don't be fooled. The U.S. economy is in pretty bad shape itself. The only reason no one is paying attention right now, because Europe is worse.

Take a strong look at pure commodities and mining companies. Randgold(GOLD) AngloGold(AU) Yamana Gold(AUY).

Trends seem to indicate that a crisis in the derivatives market is looming. And if China decides to flood the market with all the U.S. debt that it currently holds, the world as we know it will change. Paper currency will be in trouble.

Most folks don't realize that China and Russia are already negotiating oil payments with Iran in Gold. This is being done to circumnavigate U.S. Sanctions against Iran.

A Goldman Sachs whistle blower is also purportedly saying that Goldman has been advising it's largest clients to move into Gold/Silver/Platnium and out of cash for about a year now.

A storm is brewing...
    06-07-12 01:54 PM
    Don't be fooled. The U.S. economy is in pretty bad shape itself. The only reason no one is paying attention right now, because Europe is worse.

Take a strong look at pure commodities and mining companies. Randgold(GOLD) AngloGold(AU) Yamana Gold(AUY).

Trends seem to indicate that a crisis in the derivatives market is looming. And if China decides to flood the market with all the U.S. debt that it currently holds, the world as we know it will change. Paper currency will be in trouble.

Most folks don't realize that China and Russia are already negotiating oil payments with Iran in Gold. This is being done to circumnavigate U.S. Sanctions against Iran.

A Goldman Sachs whistle blower is also purportedly saying that Goldman has been advising it's largest clients to move into Gold/Silver/Platnium and out of cash for about a year now.

A storm is brewing...
    I have some idea of what the US economy is like. I own a condo in uptown Charlotte NC. My son and his family live in Charlotte and Mrs. Pete6 and I visit them about 3 times a year.

In fact, we are moving over to NC later this year. Our son is now a US citizen we his mom and I will get green cards.

In spite of the problems in the US and this being an election year, I cannot get out of the UK fast enough. I am English by birth but live 35 years in the French speaking part of Switzerland (Bonsoir Superfly) and another year in the Caribbean. More than half my liv=fe has been spent outside my home country. I have been back 2 1/2 years and I am not enjoying it at all.

Thanks for your input though.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-07-12 02:03 PM
    HTC and RIM could be a good partnership. Samsung is dominating the Android market and all the other Android OEM's sales are dropping. BB10 could allow RIM to get out of the hardware business, HTC could release as many BB10 device that they want a year and not have to try an differentiate itself from Samsung all the time. HTC's displays are apparently better than Samsung's. I think that this would help RIM in the US with its poor image too as HTC does not have the negativity tied to it that RIM does here.
    06-07-12 02:09 PM
    Germany wont pull out of the Euro...France and Germany started it all, and the UK isnt in the Eurozone.. so cant leave

06-07-12 02:15 PM
    Germany wont pull out of the Euro...France and Germany started it all, and the UK isnt in the Eurozone.. so cant leave
    Right Germany is the lead dog in the Euro, but if France and the smaller countries refuse to bow down to German will in regards to lending money out, Germany could easily say forget you we'll go it alone or just refuse to lend anyone money.

Also, while UK is not part of the money system they did join the political branch of the EU and clearly the easiest and most likely the first to drop out of the EU.
    06-07-12 02:50 PM
    Right Germany is the lead dog in the Euro, but if France and the smaller countries refuse to bow down to German will in regards to lending money out, Germany could easily say forget you we'll go it alone or just refuse to lend anyone money.

Also, while UK is not part of the money system they did join the political branch of the EU and clearly the easiest and most likely the first to drop out of the EU.
    Doesn't work like maths. It's geopolitics.

If Europe Splits and loose its "cooperative" model the critical economical size we've gained uniting won't be anything but a souvenir on school maps. Also "Europe" and Germany are tight together, (countries of) Europe being 1st German Customers, but also suppliers.
    There's no serious analysis that claims splitting Europe is an solution ... so far we don't even suggest it could be an option.
    06-07-12 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD