http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...-will-not-win/

I don�t see the BlackBerry Classic attracting anyone new to the BlackBerry platform. While it is smaller and a more traditional shape than BlackBerry�s last release in the Passport (reviewed here on Forbes), it retains the same awkwardness of a square screen. So much of a modern smartphone is driven by apps and access to third-party web services. In the business environment file viewing, document editing, and working with business systems is key. A 720�720 screen is going to be cramped at best.

BlackBerry need a handset that is going to sell in sufficient numbers to have a positive impact on the balance sheet, that is going to revive its critical fortunes, and is going to make BlackBerry a relevant name. What Chen is offering is a handset that has taken almost a year to reach consumers, that is being marketed to their �loyal BlackBerry users�, and relies on the image of past glories to sell a handset that is being pitched as an update to the old vision.
    10-30-14 12:39 AM
    Looks like the Passport does even exist if you're just reading this article... :-)

Overly critical. And probably wrong. Author doesn't seem to get the drift that the Classic is a fleet replacement phone, not something to attract specs-fanatical consumers...

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    serbanescu and Thunderbuck like this.
    10-30-14 01:49 AM
    By the same measure, Apple is stuck in the past and has not really innovated much...

A ) What can you innovate on a next-to-perfect physical keyboard (plus optional trackpad) that is unbeaten for accuracy in typing... BBRY/Bold+Q10
    B ) What can you innovate on a touch-screen phone apart from making the screen bigger and giving it a specs bump... Apple/ iPhone-X

With the Passport, BlackBerry's done it, both... keyboard and screen...

:-)

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    10-30-14 02:26 AM
    Hlao-roo, it is quite clear that the writer was passing hraka while writing this article. The intention of the Classic was never to bring new users to BlackBerry, but to provide existing Bold users a gateway to BlackBerry 10.

Methinks, the writer should spend some more time contemplating when he next goes to silflay.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    10-30-14 02:49 AM
    By the same measure, Apple is stuck in the past and has not really innovated much...

A ) What can you innovate on a next-to-perfect physical keyboard (plus optional trackpad) that is unbeaten for accuracy in typing... BBRY/Bold+Q10
    B ) What can you innovate on a touch-screen phone apart from making the screen bigger and giving it a specs bump... Apple/ iPhone-X

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    + 1 That perfectly sums it up.

This article is clearly biased against the phone and the company. If something is perfect how it is then keep improving it, there is no need for radical change, just reasonable improvements. Innovation can always be done alongside a line of all purpose products, for if it couldn't, we would not have so many incredible supercars.

BB for Life
    10-30-14 02:49 AM
    All his articles are biased. The writer has some issues.

Posted via CB10
    vespajet likes this.
    10-30-14 04:20 AM
    Look, I can pretty much say that the classic isn't for me. I'm not a fan of the tool belt, oddly enough I think the phone has too many buttons (damn you, Passport comparison) and the Q10 seems like a sleeker phone. But come on, even I get it. It isn't build for me but for another audience. There is a significant group of people that love the Bold form factor and functionality. Companies want them for the same reasons but at a reasonable price. Good God, it isn't that hard to understand. There is a reason it is called the classic.
    I sometimes wonder if tech critics have watched too many reruns of the Highlander movie where every ten minutes someone says "There can be only one". Different people and companies have different needs. We should build devices accordingly. It's not rocket science.
    Longer term, I will admit the pressure will be on Chen to produce an all touch screen device. I suspect BlackBerry has something cooking but wants to pair the hardware with new software offerings to give it greater appeal. A smart and logical move given their past experience in this market.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 04:48 AM
    Blackberry needs to do two things.

Bring in new people (looks like passport and Z30 can do that)
    Keep current users happy ( passport and classic can do that)

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 09:50 AM
    I imagine this guy also thinks car companies still putting out manual-transmission cars for those that prefer to have greater control of their car, is a waste of time and totally backward-looking.

Since when are options bad? Since when is having a variety offered by one company frowned upon and the same s**t offered by a variety of companies "the best thing"?

Think of the range of hardware designs being offered by BlackBerry right now. Now look at Apple, or Samsung,.. or really Apple and all of Android combined. What's wrong with these damn zombies just craving the same standard-issued flavorless gravy meal after meal?!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 10:40 AM
    By some of his comments against BBPP he is not fully informed on how BB10 is operated, it is unfortunate but there is a learning curve, so hard to take his opinion to heart
    10-30-14 10:59 AM
    My guess is the classic will eventually become the government issued BlackBerry. Less learning curve as its pretty much like BlackBerry os7 but with bb10 in it.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:06 AM
    All his articles are biased. The writer has some issues.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much any article that isn't supportive of BlackBerry is biased.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    eyesopen1111 and techvisor like this.
    10-30-14 11:09 AM
    Hlao-roo, it is quite clear that the writer was passing hraka while writing this article. The intention of the Classic was never to bring new users to BlackBerry, but to provide existing Bold users a gateway to BlackBerry 10.

Methinks, the writer should spend some more time contemplating when he next goes to silflay.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Is this place a bloody Watership Down tribute site on the quiet?? We've even got users with bunny names on here!

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    10-30-14 11:12 AM
    Pretty much any article that isn't supportive of BlackBerry is biased.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Not really. There are plenty of things to criticize about BlackBerry, but failing to understand (or ignoring) their explicitly stated strategy in order to frame one of their products or decisions in a negative light,.. is biased (purposely or not).

I can make any product, decision or action look bad by framing it in the right context.

Example: Apple's release of the iPhone 6 was a terrible idea which shows Tim Cook doesn't understand the needs of the lawn mower market. How much grass can I really cut with that little 5" soft aluminum dull blade? It will surely fail.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:57 AM
    The Classic is there to replace the existing 9900 users that want to keep that type of phone, are already familiar to the form factor, with a newer OS ... Not meant to reinvent the wheel !

Now...what other company is doing that? Sprucing up contemporary devices? Kudos to BB for supplying the appropriate demand, in an efficient manner this time.

There are other phones in their pipeline to address his other points !

The author wasted his time trying to review it and draw comparisons ! lol

Hasn't the author learned that it is no longer about the hardware anymore? Seems like he pumped out this article to meet his quota....
    purplefish212 likes this.
    10-30-14 12:55 PM
    Is this place a bloody Watership Down tribute site on the quiet?? We've even got users with bunny names on here!

Posted via CB10
    Haha! No, I just put in a mischievous reference or two to see if it tickled someone. :-)

Besides, can there ever be a better way of suggesting that a writer is full of shit, than to say that he was passing hraka?! :-)

Q10/10.3.1.821
    10-30-14 01:07 PM
    I think it's pretty much accepted by now that Blackberry is no longer focusing on bringing over Apple and Android converts, that time has long passed. Chen has realized this, and focusing on business users who just need a phone for email and basic internet, either because their company pays for one, or because they have a personal phone and need a good business phone that gets the job done. And if BB manages to stop current BB owners from jumping ship, then that's OK too.

We already know that the market has shifted to bigger screens, Apple has just proven that by releasing its big phones. So BB hardware is likely a secondary focus for Chen, mobile security and management is likely the future.
    10-30-14 01:15 PM
    I think it's pretty much accepted by now that Blackberry is no longer focusing on bringing over Apple and Android converts, that time has long passed. Chen has realized this, and focusing on business users who just need a phone for email and basic internet, either because their company pays for one, or because they have a personal phone and need a good business phone that gets the job done. And if BB manages to stop current BB owners from jumping ship, then that's OK too.

We already know that the market has shifted to bigger screens, Apple has just proven that by releasing its big phones. So BB hardware is likely a secondary focus for Chen, mobile security and management is likely the future.
    You conclude this based on the fact that they release just one device called the Classic that has "classic" features? They also offer the Passport, the Z30, the Z10, the Z3,.. so whichever screen or typing experience you want, you can get.

As for "basic internet", I'm assuming you mean,.. not having all the latest teen-targetted fad app available, because last time I checked I had the full internet on all my BB10 devices.

So, they're focusing on people that use their phones to produce value ... and making it easier to own a secondary third party tablet for "play time", so that they don't have to fully "convert" people away from iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 03:19 PM
    You conclude this based on the fact that they release just one device called the Classic that has "classic" features? They also offer the Passport, the Z30, the Z10, the Z3,.. so whichever screen or typing experience you want, you can get.

As for "basic internet", I'm assuming you mean,.. not having all the latest teen-targetted fad app available, because last time I checked I had the full internet on all my BB10 devices.

So, they're focusing on people that use their phones to produce value ... and making it easier to own a secondary third party tablet for "play time", so that they don't have to fully "convert" people away from iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

The decline of app-mania is inevitable and people will start to want phones that just work for them. So if BlackBerry can offer the necessary apps and a great, productive experience otherwise then they should be in a good position. Let the fans of fart apps and candy games play with their toys, the rest of us will keep using these tools for what they are meant for

BB for Life
    MarkyZ10 likes this.
    10-30-14 04:07 PM

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    Well put, but to a shareholder, if the company is still selling 25 million devices a quarter and making billions in profits, all that gets pushed aside.
    10-30-14 04:57 PM
    None of this will matter as smartphones become commodities.

10 years from now no one will give two shots about what OS your phone is running.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:08 PM
    My take on the article author is that he has shorted BB stock and is now bashing the company to force the stock lower. That, or the article is sponsored by the iThing or alike.

I managed to read only a portion of the article before wanting to puke. Then again, for the most part, honest journalism doesn't exist anymore so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Andy_bb_king and bungaboy like this.
    10-31-14 09:14 AM
    I imagine this guy also thinks car companies still putting out manual-transmission cars for those that prefer to have greater control of their car, is a waste of time and totally backward-looking.

Since when are options bad? Since when is having a variety offered by one company frowned upon and the same s**t offered by a variety of companies "the best thing"?

Think of the range of hardware designs being offered by BlackBerry right now. Now look at Apple, or Samsung,.. or really Apple and all of Android combined. What's wrong with these damn zombies just craving the same standard-issued flavorless gravy meal after meal?!

Posted via CB10
    Manual transmission for life hehe. I agree options are great. What the writer of the article fails to understand is this phone isn't intended for new buyers anyways. They want OS7 users to buy this and potentially past BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    10-31-14 10:22 AM
    The Classic is there to replace the existing 9900 users that want to keep that type of phone, are already familiar to the form factor, with a newer OS ... Not meant to reinvent the wheel !

Now...what other company is doing that? Sprucing up contemporary devices? Kudos to BB for supplying the appropriate demand, in an efficient manner this time.

There are other phones in their pipeline to address his other points !

The author wasted his time trying to review it and draw comparisons ! lol

Hasn't the author learned that it is no longer about the hardware anymore? Seems like he pumped out this article to meet his quota....
    The problem is that most 9900 users do not want to use BB10 otherwise they would have jumped on the Q10 tool belt or not.
    10-31-14 10:51 AM
    business users who just need a phone for email and basic internet, either because their company pays for one, or because they have a personal phone and need a good business phone that gets the job done.
    Business users want a phone that do it all...what Chen said at the release of the PP is that most BB users carry two phones.. I keep my Bold if the Classic does not solve the problem of carrying two phones, and it doesn't.
    10-31-14 11:02 AM
66 123