09-07-10 04:47 PM
    What I hate about these Articles is they don't actually think when they predict,

They I feel the Article is crappola
    1: They Sell Microsoft Short,
    They Will continue to go hard at the Market, the Android growth has been enlarged by the fact MS had no competitive OS for the market many of the Android partners were formally MS partners and are sure to Partner back up in part
    2: They Assume NO innovation on current vendors
    RIM is has the pocket book to purchase some solid Software developers to help them build a backwards compatible OS for Business and consumers alike, maybe BBOS6 is like Vista, and we'll get a Win7 like OS out of BBOS7 that just blasts off!
    3: They Under estimate Apple:
    Apple changed the smartphone perception, they changed the tablet perception, they might change the market again, don't sell them Short as long as Steve Jobs is at the helm.

Android is a great developing software base, but it still runs the risk of becoming fragmented having so many devices and so many vendors developing for it, much like many great linux distro's you come to a development fork and suddenly you split your developers and 2 distro's emerge. this could happen with a mature android market.
    09-07-10 05:54 PM
    Apple has managed to get the market share it has with minimal carriers. If they expand out to just the other US big carriers (Verizon, TMobile, and Sprint) they could probably grow US sales by 200% alone very quickly. Android is everywhere now because it is a good and flexible OS, and getting better with every iteration.

Even if RIM did get some people in and get a new OS out the door in a year or two, how many people will they have lost by then, and how much will Apple and Google have emulated of the things that make Blackberry (push e-mail, security and BBM)? It could be too late to salvage much or bring people who left back. What amazes me is how the investors haven't demanded the dynamic duo CEO's heads yet for basically doing nothing but rely on BIS and BES alone to keep customers.

As for Microsoft, they've dumped so much money into smartphones already and they were all a joke. BING is gobbling up $2 Billion annually into a black hole. I don't think a lot of people will give them another chance on the smartphone front with all the past blunders except for the M$ fanboys. Some customers get sick of companies crap. M$ lost me on the home OS front after XP which I still use VM instances of. Apple keeps my home IT duties to almost zero where Windows consumed so much of my time and I get enough computer stuff at work.
    09-07-10 07:13 PM
    Double Post
    Last edited by lnichols; 09-07-10 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Double Post
    09-07-10 07:14 PM
    Apple has managed to get the market share it has with minimal carriers. If they expand out to just the other US big carriers (Verizon, TMobile, and Sprint) they could probably grow US sales by 200% alone very quickly. Android is everywhere now because it is a good and flexible OS, and getting better with every iteration.
    I very much doubt that they could see an increase of 200% by changing companies, the Apple Fanboi's moved to AT&T for the iPhone, AT&T is the second largest Carrier, behind Verizon, and they are not THAT different in size, I would suspect you would see maybe an increase by 50% if that by being on all Carriers, especially with Android phones being so heavily vested into Verizons customer base.

Even if RIM did get some people in and get a new OS out the door in a year or two, how many people will they have lost by then, and how much will Apple and Google have emulated of the things that make Blackberry (push e-mail, security and BBM)? It could be too late to salvage much or bring people who left back. What amazes me is how the investors haven't demanded the dynamic duo CEO's heads yet for basically doing nothing but rely on BIS and BES alone to keep customers.
    RIM has still been growing, the 2 CEO's haven't done enough to warrant a hostile bid for new Management, plus they do retain controlling interest I believe.
    The Consumer market is fickle, I would bet the Majority of Smartphone buying hold onto their phone for their entire contract, what does that mean to RIM, that means they still have 18-24 months to make a splash to get the consumer to buy the next Gen Blackberry. they are big enough and growing in other markets to maintain, they might be 3rd but the market is large enough for 3, though I still don't count them out yet.

As for Microsoft, they've dumped so much money into smartphones already and they were all a joke. BING is gobbling up $2 Billion annually into a black hole. I don't think a lot of people will give them another chance on the smartphone front with all the past blunders except for the M$ fanboys. Some customers get sick of companies crap. M$ lost me on the home OS front after XP which I still use VM instances of. Apple keeps my home IT duties to almost zero where Windows consumed so much of my time and I get enough computer stuff at work.
    Microsoft will continue to be a player in what ever software world they wish to play in, again they might not get #1, but they could come out hard, like they did with Windows 7 which went a LONG way in curbing the mass fleeing of PC users to Mac Computers, both Mac and Windows continuing to provide better options than Linux and BSD boxes to the consumer.

I have constantly looked to remove MS from my home life, but I absolutely HATE how Apple does things, I've been in control of my PC life for too long to relinquish my free will to the likes of Apple. and Windows 7 Came out just in time to pull me from Linux adoption. they reinvented their Desktop OS, if they do the same with the Mobile OS, they could do a big dent in the corporate sector, making them more a RIM competitor than Apple or Android, but they could still be a contender.

I just don't like people who have no vision for things that have happened or that could happen predicting the future on pure speculation and on a very short term trend.
    09-07-10 07:26 PM

I agree with this! The way things are now it seems like android will pick up on a few of the things that bb do better before RIM does what android can.
    09-07-10 07:46 PM
    I have constantly looked to remove MS from my home life, but I absolutely HATE how Apple does things, I've been in control of my PC life for too long to relinquish my free will to the likes of Apple. and Windows 7 Came out just in time to pull me from Linux adoption. they reinvented their Desktop OS, if they do the same with the Mobile OS, they could do a big dent in the corporate sector, making them more a RIM competitor than Apple or Android, but they could still be a contender.
    OS X is Free BSD with Apple customizing it. You can still access all of the powerful features of FreeBSD in the OS. Its simple and works for the non-power user, and I use it as a powerful Engineering tool to troubleshoot large networks. I actually get XP to run better in VMWare fusion than I can run in a separate box. Its also rock solid to run critical monitoring tools on.
    09-07-10 08:08 PM

This article was obviously written by a Tech nerd that just cares about spec sheets. RIM is in no danger of losing customers! Why, just the other day, my friend's girlfriend's sister's roommate bought a Bold! Also Email. My 7100 was good enough for me in 03, and it's good enough for me today!
    09-07-10 08:14 PM
    I agree with deRusett. I am actually in the process of eliminating google from my life. I no longer google things although I recognize their search is the most effective. Ultimately predictions of this nature are simply someone saying, wow, this company is doing good lately. Not too impressive from my point of view but like any opinion it can be dressed up with 1,000 or so words of fluff. I have used them all and I prefer the 9700 but that's just my thing.
    09-07-10 08:21 PM
    OS X is Free BSD with Apple customizing it. You can still access all of the powerful features of FreeBSD in the OS. Its simple and works for the non-power user, and I use it as a powerful Engineering tool to troubleshoot large networks. I actually get XP to run better in VMWare fusion than I can run in a separate box. Its also rock solid to run critical monitoring tools on.

I don't deny Apple OS X is a great OS, I just hate how it does things, I hate it's "speed" I hate the file structure, saying it is FreeBSD is an insult to Free BSD, it is to Free BSD what Win 95 was to DOS.
    And really Anyone Still using XP as a bench mark for Microsoft holding onto an image of a stagnant microsoft, Windows Vista out of the box was junk, tweaking it, it was far more stable than XP was, and now Win 7 is stable out of the box. it is a great user friendly alternative to OS X, but all that aside, I do not see Apple as having the ability to BE the primary software company, they just don't "follow the rules" well to allow true mission critical business to be built on their foundation, they have little appreciation for legacy development. which unfortunately for RIM and Microsoft, both do very well.

I agree with this! The way things are now it seems like android will pick up on a few of the things that bb do better before RIM does what android can.
    So you agree that by looking at the last 12 months growth you can predict the next 60 months, completely ignoring the 60 months prior?

not taking into account that in the next 60 months any number of game changers could come to pass just as we've seen in the previous 24 months even?
    09-08-10 04:03 AM
    In my limited view I tend to think that a BB user is a BB user, Android get the fickle smatphone users that jump around. Iphone and Apple do a great job at creating hype a snatching customers in the sort term. The same with Win and Palm, there will be enough customers to go around and I believe you will see at least 4 probably 5 players in the market. But at the end of the day the company that prevails is that with the strongest long term plan, not the most sales this year. Phone contracts last and if someone jumps ship I think the company being left behind is left with all the money it intended on getting from that phone. If you have a loyal customer they stay, if you have a trend follower they leave, nature of the beast. You will see trends like this in all arenas of biz....
    09-08-10 04:36 AM
    I don't deny Apple OS X is a great OS, I just hate how it does things, I hate it's "speed" I hate the file structure, saying it is FreeBSD is an insult to Free BSD, it is to Free BSD what Win 95 was to DOS.
    And really Anyone Still using XP as a bench mark for Microsoft holding onto an image of a stagnant microsoft, Windows Vista out of the box was junk, tweaking it, it was far more stable than XP was, and now Win 7 is stable out of the box. it is a great user friendly alternative to OS X, but all that aside, I do not see Apple as having the ability to BE the primary software company, they just don't "follow the rules" well to allow true mission critical business to be built on their foundation, they have little appreciation for legacy development. which unfortunately for RIM and Microsoft, both do very well.

So you agree that by looking at the last 12 months growth you can predict the next 60 months, completely ignoring the 60 months prior?

not taking into account that in the next 60 months any number of game changers could come to pass just as we've seen in the previous 24 months even?
    You are correct, and a lot of people do not get that. Add another company to the list. IBM. IBM is very rarely mentioned on these forums, however it's a rare large enterprise that does not run their software/hardware. The same large enterprise that is the target BES customer.
    09-08-10 05:32 AM
    “Long term, given Google’s relationship with multiple carriers and OEMs, which provide a steady stream of new devices, we believe Android will ultimately become the most popular smartphone platform, taking share from Nokia and RIM, while Apple’s share steadily increases.”

It's hard not to agree with this.
    09-08-10 07:27 AM
    �Long term, given Google�s relationship with multiple carriers and OEMs, which provide a steady stream of new devices, we believe Android will ultimately become the most popular smartphone platform, taking share from Nokia and RIM, while Apple�s share steadily increases.�

Sure it is. Anybody can say what they want, it's just an opinion.
    09-08-10 07:46 AM

RIM has to show us that they do want to compete against android. Maybe they are happy where they are at right now. The bold is a solid device that is great for messenging and email and has a great kb. But thats it. Until RIM shows me something I am going to assume that google is one step ahead and RIM is dragging in the mud.And I have owned BB for 3 years and still have one so I am not a android fanboy.
    09-08-10 08:33 AM
    This article was obviously written by a Tech nerd that just cares about spec sheets. RIM is in no danger of losing customers! Why, just the other day, my friend's girlfriend's sister's roommate bought a Bold! Also Email. My 7100 was good enough for me in 03, and it's good enough for me today!
    The question lies here. "How many people use Blackberry because they want to v. they have to.

If you took away all of the White Collar people around the globe, and took all of their Blackberries away. And told them to use what ever phone they wanted. Would Blackberry thrive like it is today.

When Joe Knucklehead walks into Verzion, ATT, T-Mobile or Sprint and they see Android phones with 1Ghrz Processors, 8gigs of internal memory, Super OMLED Screens, WI-FI tether, and countless applications. Or he see the iphone with easy as pie UI, countless applications. on board picture editor, on board movie editor and a media system that is second to none.....

and then they see blackberry, tiny screens, low to no memory, and limited applications.

which one will Joe Knucklehead pick up.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 08:58 AM
    The question lies here. "How many people use Blackberry because they want to v. they have to.

If you took away all of the White Collar people around the globe, and took all of their Blackberries away. And told them to use what ever phone they wanted. Would Blackberry thrive like it is today.

When Joe Knucklehead walks into Verzion, ATT, T-Mobile or Sprint and they see Android phones with 1Ghrz Processors, 8gigs of internal memory, Super OMLED Screens, WI-FI tether, and countless applications. Or he see the iphone with easy as pie UI, countless applications. on board picture editor, on board movie editor and a media system that is second to none.....

and then they see blackberry, tiny screens, low to no memory, and limited applications.

which one will Joe Knucklehead pick up.....

You could make the same analogy about cars, put a loaded Tahoe/Suburban and Prius side by side. Big plush interior, lots of room, good crash protection, which one will Joe Knucklehead choose?

Without asking any questions about price, gas mileage, maintenance, environment etc just by looking at the car.
    09-08-10 09:16 AM
    You could make the same analogy about cars, put a loaded Tahoe/Suburban and Prius side by side. Big plush interior, lots of room, good crash protection, which one will Joe Knucklehead choose?

Without asking any questions about price, gas mileage, maintenance, environment etc just by looking at the car.
    I work in the Automotive Field, i know exactly what you are talking about.

But to continue you analogy.... if the gas mileage was the same for the Tahoe & The Prius, because the data plan is the same for Android/Apple/Blackberry. And the insurance was the same for Tahoe & Prius, because cell phone insurance is the same across the board... which one would you honestly pick...

Something that is big and comfortable, and can tow a boat, trailer, other car, or anything else you wanted... you can go off road... carry a-lot of luggage or people... and can do this all at the same price as a car that is really really good at being tiny.

09-08-10 11:17 AM
    I work in the Automotive Field, i know exactly what you are talking about.

But to continue you analogy.... if the gas mileage was the same for the Tahoe & The Prius, because the data plan is the same for Android/Apple/Blackberry. And the insurance was the same for Tahoe & Prius, because cell phone insurance is the same across the board... which one would you honestly pick...

Something that is big and comfortable, and can tow a boat, trailer, other car, or anything else you wanted... you can go off road... carry a-lot of luggage or people... and can do this all at the same price as a car that is really really good at being tiny.

Battery life is different, form factor is different. Cars and phones have a lot of common, almost singular purpose device. Cars go from point a to point B, phones make and recieve calls at the least, with additional internet capabilities. A Prius is expensive for what you get. A Tahoe less so.
    09-08-10 12:22 PM
    Battery life is different, form factor is different. Cars and phones have a lot of common, almost singular purpose device. Cars go from point a to point B, phones make and recieve calls at the least, with additional internet capabilities. A Prius is expensive for what you get. A Tahoe less so.
    You you look at feature for feature Android/Apple/Blackberry... Blackberry is VERY Expensive for what you get.

09-08-10 12:34 PM
    I was in Vegas this weekend for about 3 days and I could not believe the amount
    of Android devices I saw. EVERYWHERE. I'm used to seeing a bunch of iPhones. But
    Android took the cake in Vegas this weekend.
    09-08-10 12:50 PM
    You you look at feature for feature Android/Apple/Blackberry... Blackberry is VERY Expensive for what you get.

People obviously don't think that way. When I walk the malls or the streets of the city, BB seem to be predominant.

But to your point, an analogy, the Prius is expensive for what you get also, yet there are a ton on the roads.
    09-08-10 12:59 PM
    People obviously don't think that way. When I walk the malls or the streets of the city, BB seem to be predominant.

But to your point, an analogy, the Prius is expensive for what you get also, yet there are a ton on the roads.
    True. You can either spend you money on a car/phone that does alot of stuff moderately well. Or you can spend your money on a phone/car that has a specialty in one area and lacks in everything else.

09-08-10 01:07 PM

Well if that's the way you feel don't buy a BB

09-08-10 01:32 PM
    �Long term, given Google�s relationship with multiple carriers and OEMs, which provide a steady stream of new devices, we believe Android will ultimately become the most popular smartphone platform, taking share from Nokia and RIM, while Apple�s share steadily increases.�

M

Go back to 2005 and you can say the EXACT same thing about Microsoft.

That is why I think the guy is a tool, look at the last 5 years, and Google is in the WinMo5 position, it is a position that can be lost, Android filled a void when MS dropped the ball HUGE, they are could just as easily lose manufacturers or fragment their offerings$

09-08-10 01:48 PM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD