Ok this is a good question since i was struggling with Google maps this last week and i finally get it to work 10 minutes ago... Now the question: How the F... does my cellphone knows my exact location (marked with a blue dot) if the GPS is not equipped in this model? I live in Venezuela and here Google maps does barrely knows the name of some streets and doesn't give directions at all... I never wrotte my address in any way at the phone since it has only 2 weeks and don't know how to explain it... Any of you know how this is possible?
    12-13-08 07:59 PM
    ....from cell towers.
    12-13-08 08:12 PM
    really? can someone give a detailed explanation?
    12-13-08 08:28 PM
    ....from cell towers.
    I don't see it possible.... so google maps knows the exact location of each one of the cell towers of all cell companies? and does triangulation on each device? that's less than possible IMHO but i would be glad to be probed wrong
    12-13-08 08:33 PM
    That's how google maps dose it, They can get your approximate location by triangulation. That cool!
    12-13-08 09:53 PM
    Google maps can determine your location based on the cell tower that you are closest to, that's why it says "Your location within 2100 meters"
    12-13-08 09:57 PM
    True, it's the cell towers. The technique is called "trilateration" and uses intersecting spheres to calculate your position. The more spheres, the more accuracy. Navizon adds wifi access points. But it will never match the 3 meter accuracy of GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 11:25 AM
    thank you for the answer!!!

Impressive, never imagined that, not GPS but almost as useful and the best is FREE!!! Garmin has better mapping of my city but isn't free...

Thanks
    12-14-08 01:49 PM
    Hi,

(I thought I'd ask my question here instead of starting a new thread. )

Does any one use his BB Pearl Flip with a Bluetooth external GPS? I tried, but it doesn't work. I don't know why. Anyone can help?

Thanks!
    Jabc
    02-01-09 12:03 PM
    Works good for me. Did the GPS pair with phone ok and did you set the connection to trusted? What map program and GPS are you using?
    02-01-09 11:07 PM
    Look in the GPS forum. I have and use BT GPS with my Flip, usually have to start BB Maps so phone correctly inits GPS, then start amAze or whatever other software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 04:02 PM
    google google maps.. it'll explain how it works
    02-02-09 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD