Can you post the wallpaper that you used?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 10:26 AM
    I really appreciate your work but sorry to say, I'm not into such kind of designs.
    This one reminds me of iSheep 7...

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    03-21-14 10:32 AM
    I actually prefer flat with long design shadows.

Like this - this one I edited personally btw, sorry for the bad quality.

Attachment 257111

Posted via CB10
    exactly what I am saying, welcome to the party..

You killed it
    03-21-14 10:33 AM
    I really appreciate your work but sorry to say, I'm not into such kind of designs.
    This one reminds me of iSheep 7...

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Future designs of all mobile and Web! At least for the foreseeable future. It will happen in one form or another whether we like it or not.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 10:37 AM

Attachment 257111

Posted via CB10
    I stole your pic and put it on my thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post10145696

Yes i know about my "to" typo :P
    03-21-14 10:58 AM

Attachment 257111

Posted via CB10
    Why would BlackBerry take the time to rerender a logo icon that's already available. Wasted effort and reinventing the wheel IMO. There's no coding that can do this automatically because you don't have layers.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:38 AM
    I know you're kidding about monochrom and plaintext based UI's, but my favorite Linux distribution is CrunchBang. They push a minimalistic, monochrome ui witha very plaintext feel (though not as radical as I'd like).

Back when the iPhone 1 was new, I jailbreaked it and used a monochrome UI, myself. I wouldn't mind a monochrome UI, tbh. In fact, I'd love it if BlackBerry released an E-Ink phone.
    03-21-14 11:46 AM
    I think the OP did a good job flattening everything out, but I hope they won't ever take that direction. It's absolutely horrid...
    03-21-14 12:05 PM
    This looks awesome. I have a Z30, and I'm loving the theme you had. Also the landscape mode is NECESSARY FOR LIFE. It would be so awesome to have proper landscape mode on a phone for once!
    03-21-14 12:17 PM
    The first question that came to my mind is:
    --> Does this UI revamp should ensure of generating more interest from consumers?

Personnally, I dont feel that this kind of revamp will have much impact here. I do believe that today BlackBerry need to focus on area where they are lacking and/or where they will get the customer interest back in return.
    For me that kind of UI revamping is mainly oriented around their today's loyal customer base. Yes, it is important, but is it something they can afford in consideration to their current market position ?

Landscape support

I definitely agree with the full landscape support.

Bottom launch bar
    I definitively disagree by the fact that you proposed to eliminate the Phone app launch from the bottom bar. It's a phone...

Active Frames
    I'm presently fine with the small "x" to close active frame. But it would'nt hurt to have also the functionality to tap & swipe off to close it.
    Removed the active frame title and changing its size??
    We have to keep in mind this OS allow us to keep progressing in different area from which we originally get there. (ex, While browsing, we can easilly share stuff to BBM and then keep chatting with your counterpart. At the end you may have just forgot you were doing that all from the Browser app. ..So the title became important to remain there.
    Also I tought that changing the active frame dimensions and/or form factor will have important support impact to the various app. Should we ask all apps developper to revised their vaious apps just because we would like to see them slighly smaller?

8-bit graphics
    Could you explain me how 8 bit graphic could put less stress on the GPU and saving battery life ? Ok if we limits all OS and apps to 8Bits, but at
    one point we will required the full color depth image quality ..(pictures, video....). So will it be like displaying 8 bit images but running a full depth image quality in background?
    03-21-14 01:16 PM
    The first question that came to my mind is:
    --> Does this UI revamp should ensure of generating more interest from consumers?

Personnally, I dont feel that this kind of revamp will have much impact here. I do believe that today BlackBerry need to focus on area where they are lacking and/or where they will get the customer interest back in return.
    For me that kind of UI revamping is mainly oriented around their today's loyal customer base. Yes, it is important, but is it something they can afford in consideration to their current market position ?

Landscape support

I definitely agree with the full landscape support.

Bottom launch bar
    I definitively disagree by the fact that you proposed to eliminate the Phone app launch from the bottom bar. It's a phone...

Active Frames
    I'm presently fine with the small "x" to close active frame. But it would'nt hurt to have also the functionality to tap & swipe off to close it.
    Removed the active frame title and changing its size??
    We have to keep in mind this OS allow us to keep progressing in different area from which we originally get there. (ex, While browsing, we can easilly share stuff to BBM and then keep chatting with your counterpart. At the end you may have just forgot you were doing that all from the Browser app. ..So the title became important to remain there.
    Also I tought that changing the active frame dimensions and/or form factor will have important support impact to the various app. Should we ask all apps developper to revised their vaious apps just because we would like to see them slighly smaller?

8-bit graphics
    Could you explain me how 8 bit graphic could put less stress on the GPU and saving battery life ? Ok if we limits all OS and apps to 8Bits, but at
    one point we will required the full color depth image quality ..(pictures, video....). So will it be like displaying 8 bit images but running a full depth image quality in background?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...oncept-916695/

Maybe this will float your boat more...take a look...a mix of the flat icons proposed here with the landscape mode, with my active frames idea!! we got a winner combining them both! My idea takes into account the gesture based UI that we LOVE by having the ability to swipe frames to close, or swipe to pin...also other options and great features! check it out and let me know what you think!

We need all of our ideas to be presented to the community with as much feedback as possible to all ideas in order to push BB10 and BlackBerry into the future!
    03-21-14 01:38 PM
    Thanks and congrats for you job OP !

Definitely not my cup of tea, maybe because I've known these flat icons back in the mid-late 80's ... the time those less than 30yo cannot remind of. I absloutely dislike iOS7 desktop and menus (maybe excepted the fast settings, not sure why) and I'll be very disapointed if we'd have to suffer it on BB10.
    Read me well, please, I'm not saying that BB10 UI is perfect and I do agree shadows can be diputable, for instance. But for God sakes, inovate and design: do not return to stone ages !
    These Gif-like (16 colors) logos and flat buttons and sensitive areas ...

Of course this is 100% tastes & colors ... so I guess each one can have his own ...

P.S: please, don't come with a performance argument; it doesn't really make sense.

Edit : you have my vote for a "swipe up a minimized app to close it" and somehow a "why not" for landscape desktop.
    Istvan Szabo likes this.
    03-21-14 01:58 PM
    I'm all for new icons, and totally agree that those stupid shadow boxes need to go.
    I would however like to see more consistency in the icons. All these different shape and sizes just looks weird. Just my opinion.

Best case scenario would be if we could changed icon sets to whatever we liked
    03-21-14 01:58 PM
    10.3 is going to have major UI revisions.

@kmcooley | Channel: C00219967
    pttptppt likes this.
    03-21-14 02:02 PM
    Hey can't we at least get the flat wallpaper ?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 02:27 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...oncept-916695/

Maybe this will float your boat more...take a look...a mix of the flat icons proposed here with the landscape mode, with my active frames idea!! we got a winner combining them both! My idea takes into account the gesture based UI that we LOVE by having the ability to swipe frames to close, or swipe to pin...also other options and great features! check it out and let me know what you think!

We need all of our ideas to be presented to the community with as much feedback as possible to all ideas in order to push BB10 and BlackBerry into the future!
    I did see the previous post. But again, how spending time and money to revamp the UI will change the customer mind, saying...Oh I want a BlackBerry !
    I don't see it happen by just changing a UI.. It might even be and opposite movement where who adopt OS10 will step back not longer willing to face changes anymore. Just look iOS user base comments when they brought up iOS7 ..not much changes (other then colors) and lots of negative feedback.

Not every one will be happy with yours or OP specific preferences..

-> So why not just bring back THEME SETUP.
    Then It'll open the door to suit most of customer preferences.

Posted via CB10
    Istvan Szabo likes this.
    03-21-14 02:27 PM
    I don't like the look, and actually much prefer the way it is now.

A lot of people don't like the transparent black boxes, but I think they are nice in that they bring uniformity regardless of what the icon looks like. Without them, it really makes the different sizes and shapes of icons stick out. Also, they help so that your wallpaper doesn't hide your icons and the text. For example, white text on white would be unreadable, or a noisy wallpaper would make some icons hard to see well. If shadows were applied to all icons and text, then that could fix that. That's what the PlayBook did (although the icon shadows were just little blobs, and the whole panel was darkened as well). I find it more useful to differentiate icons than worry about not seeing my wallpaper completely (don't the icons get in the way of that too?).

I could go with a flatter design (not completely flat), and long shadows do look nice in many examples I've seen online. I would actually like it if BB could do some cool dynamic shadows or something under the icon and text, such that tiling the device sideways or up-down would shift the shadow around. It'd look really cool I think.
    Istvan Szabo likes this.
    03-21-14 02:56 PM
    So ... you want flat design.
    What about a plain black Background image ?
    FlatBerry 10 UI (+ Landscape)-img_20140321_205501.png

No shadow, because background is darker.Simple as setting the image below as BG,
    but I guess we could even make it a *little* funkier playing with spaces between apps icons.
    I'll play along tomorrow ...

FlatBerry 10 UI (+ Landscape)-bgblackbb.jpg
    03-21-14 02:58 PM
    looks ugly tbh!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 02:59 PM
    So ... you want flat design.
    What about a plain black Background image ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140321_205501.png 
Views:	850 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	257182

No shadow, because background is darker.Simple as setting the image below as BG,
    but I guess we could even make it a *little* funkier playing with spaces between apps icons.
    I'll play along tomorrow ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bgBlackBB.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	257183
    lol looks pretty flat actually
    03-21-14 05:33 PM
    Beautiful!
    03-21-14 07:48 PM
    Thanks and congrats for you job OP !

Definitely not my cup of tea, maybe because I've known these flat icons back in the mid-late 80's ... the time those less than 30yo cannot remind of. I absloutely dislike iOS7 desktop and menus (maybe excepted the fast settings, not sure why) and I'll be very disapointed if we'd have to suffer it on BB10.
    Read me well, please, I'm not saying that BB10 UI is perfect and I do agree shadows can be diputable, for instance. But for God sakes, inovate and design: do not return to stone ages !
    These Gif-like (16 colors) logos and flat buttons and sensitive areas ...

Of course this is 100% tastes & colors ... so I guess each one can have his own ...

P.S: please, don't come with a performance argument; it doesn't really make sense.

Edit : you have my vote for a "swipe up a minimized app to close it" and somehow a "why not" for landscape desktop.
    But logos are generally designed with only black and white in mind. All great logo design doesn't rely on colour. Notice I said rely. There is no reason why we can't have classically good graphic design in BBOS. In a lot of ways, we do have some nice design. But faux-3D ui elements are not the answer. iOS 7 took it too far. It's too reliant on colour, imo. Simple is good, especially on a phone. IMO, things could be simplified without becoming plainly in search of the latest flat trend in ui (which is really thanks to Microsoft, not Apple).

We just need to freshen things up. Get rid of the 3D crap, lose the shadows. Personally, I think the Calendar icon is the worst BB10 icon. It needs a workover. But then I think all the icons need a new set of rules to follow, because they're awfully drab and dated.

Just make it simple and masculine, and we'll have a great phone.
    03-21-14 08:54 PM
    Look very simple need some modification

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:40 PM
    Look kiddie and cartoonie. Absolutely hate it
    Istvan Szabo likes this.
    03-22-14 02:14 AM
    But logos are generally designed with only black and white in mind. All great logo design doesn't rely on colour. Notice I said rely. There is no reason why we can't have classically good graphic design in BBOS. In a lot of ways, we do have some nice design. But faux-3D ui elements are not the answer. iOS 7 took it too far. It's too reliant on colour, imo. Simple is good, especially on a phone. IMO, things could be simplified without becoming plainly in search of the latest flat trend in ui (which is really thanks to Microsoft, not Apple).

We just need to freshen things up. Get rid of the 3D crap, lose the shadows. Personally, I think the Calendar icon is the worst BB10 icon. It needs a workover. But then I think all the icons need a new set of rules to follow, because they're awfully drab and dated.

Just make it simple and masculine, and we'll have a great phone.
    BlackBerry future of UI did not reside in;
    - rendered icons
    - flat icons
    - icon shaded tray
    - no shaded

If you already wanted a freshen up UI, you will get bored soon will flat icon too. Then you will came back here and required BlackBerry to bring back a different icon design.

The only way BlackBerry could match the day-to-day preferences of every individual on earth is THEME SETUP

So Crackberrian should stop arguing that this or that will be better, you won't find unanimity.

These discussions are more likely wasted bits on the Web space

Posted via CB10
    Istvan Szabo likes this.
    03-22-14 03:06 AM
99 1234